The Wargamers 54 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 30 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 30
Eagle
Group Admin

Between the costly Afghan War, the recent Chernobyl Disaster, decreasing economic power matched by increasing civil opposition, and countless other problems, the USSR's situation is becoming worse by the day. It is clear Gorbachev's new policies will only worsen this by allowing further Western influence. After arresting him and quietly removing him from the public eye in early 1986, the decision is made to launch their long awaited war with the West.

As expected, Europe is the prime target, but the Soviet generals understand that they stand little chance of success in the long-term. Though surprise may be on their side, any progress would be thrown back once the NATO nations fully mobilize. The greatest proponent of this is the United States, with it's massive resource pool and growing, powerful military, due in no small part to President Reagan's ever-increasing defense spending. The greatest handicap is that it is away from the main war, separated by an ocean, it's own populace hardly anticipating a conflict on their land.

As such, the Soviet offensive intends to do exactly that. As a ground attack is launched in Europe, a majority of the Soviet fleet and many airborne units pass through the North Atlantic and assault the west coast from Newfoundland to Virginia; meanwhile, Alaska is also invaded as China launches it's own operations in the Pacific. The American Navy, with many of it's units being lured into the Pacific and occupied there, is unable to fully crush the invaders, and the reinforcements from Operation REFORGER are tied down. NATO will be divided in two, unable to support each-other, and can be dealt with in their leisure.

The war begins in April, as Soviet troops in Europe prepare to attack, their comrades in the North Atlantic sail south. As American units in Europe and the Pacific hurry to ready themselves for combat, the US units in Iceland send broken, frantic messages before going quiet. As America's command focuses on hotspots first, calls and reports from the lower-levels stateside finally filter up, sending odd, worried reports of strange events. Some ships at sea report the large Soviet fleet, under watch by said command, is speeding up. Civilians begin to call in reporting large numbers of jet noises over their homes. Some in Newfoundland call about strange soldier landing. The mysterious reports remain at a local level for too long as the higher-ups focus on areas with more activity.

They finally come to realize what is happening when a frantic Guards post tells of Soviet transports and MiGs flying over Maine.

(I think I'll do small bits from 3 separate characters, just to enjoy the full spectrum of events; more detail will be given to them later on.)

Col. Ramsay Hunter (Rabbit 6)
116th Infantry Brigade Combat Team, 29th Infantry Division
Virginia, U.S.A.

Staff Sergeant Jan Cleon (Kite 2-2/Tracer Bravo Two)
2nd Squad, 2nd Platoon, Alpha Company, 1st Battalion-87th Infantry, 1st Infantry BCT, 10th Mountain Division.
Fort Drum, New York, U.S.A.

Captain Lenox 'Pepper' Norm (Musket 1-1/ Musket 3)
Alpha Flight, 134th Fighter Squadron
Burlington, Vermont, U.S.A.

If you want to join in, just leave your character(s) (no more than 3) down below in a similar fashion. You can include a bio, unit type, etc.; whatever you wish. Mine was bare-bones, but the character, unit, and place are required. You're allowed to choose any kind of character of any unit or location/nationality, even civilian. What happens in your story is up to you; just don't do anything that'll break the whole game. I'll give you the location of the RP itself and how to get to it tomorrow once things are sorted out.

For now, show me what you plan to play in this game; I'm excited to see what you all will have.

TLP

4608037 (Inspired by the famous 1983 Movie: 'The Day After')

Name: Jim Challman.
Occupation: Farmer, Former U.S Army soldier (82nd Airborne Division, 3rd Infantry Brigade Combat Team, 2nd Btn. 505th Parachute Infantry Regiment)
Location: McCandless, Pennsylvania. ( 17 miles west of Shippingport Atomic Power Station)

(More detail is ready if requested specifically.)

Eagle
Group Admin

There's actually not going to be ground warfare that far south; suggest moving it farther north past Virginia.

TLP

4608197 Location changed. Check it again.

Eagle
Group Admin

Looks good.

Comment posted by Cobra55 deleted Aug 6th, 2015
Eagle
Group Admin

That's also not a good place. Most of the fighting will be farther north and along the Atlantic coast. Recommend somewhere else like Massachusetts or something.

4608297 Darn. I don't know anything about that far north so I guess I'm out
Also that was me in real life except for the name

4608037 (Might not be able to participate tomorrow, have a dentist appointment, hopefully back in time)
Name: Staff Sargent Dan Grayson (Raider 4-2)
Unit: 4th Squad, 1st Platoon, Golf Company, 2nd Battalion, 25th Marines

Name: Captain Chase "Dragon" Harcourse (Streaker 1-2/Streaker 2)
Unit: Echo Flight, 103rd fighter Squadron
Aircraft: A-10a Thunderbolt-II

Eagle
Group Admin

You can always just look it up or something; I mean you're militia, so it's not all that bad. It's not like having to do a report, you can just look up what you need online. Takes like 5 minutes.

Checks out good, thanks.

And don't worry on time; it's a very drawn-out thing, so write it when you can.

4608322 Sweet, that'll be good since I'm getting my wisdom teeth pulled out, so quick question are we using google docs or something else.

4608297 unlesssssssssss. :pinkiegasp: I can be my uncle!
NAME: Norman dowel

Eagle
Group Admin

Uh...sure; if you know how to do sub combat, you can totally do it. Just make sure to do your research.

Name and rank: Major Michael Wolfe (Hunter 6)

Unit: 2nd Ranger Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment, U.S. Army.

Role: Battalion commander.

Let's see if I can't get in on this fun

Name: Captain John Parker

Occupation: Author/California National Guardsman, former US Army Special Forces

Name: 1st LT David "WARDEN" Hagler (Archer 1-3/Archer 1)

Bravo Flight, F-16 Fighting Falcon

Location: Andrew's Air Force Base, DC Air National Guard detatchment 113th Wing

(I'll put this in here, but I don't know it it'll be allowed, since the character is European and the gender for the time period is questionable since females couldn't technically serve combat rolls until 2001)

Name and Rank: Staff Captain Ebon Vallen

Unit: 10th Armoured Division, Panzerbrigade 12 (West German)

Vehicle and weapons: Leopard 2A (Commander), Walther P-38

Eagle
Group Admin

There's no problem with the nationality or gender, more location. It's kind of an odd spot; I figured at first it'd be in Europe, and it's somewhat strange to have it in Canada. But, you can do so if you wish; it's all up to you.

Also, you never specified the fighter squadron.

Eagle
Group Admin

4608188 4608304 4608311 4608824 4608972 4609232
Quick reminder to everyone that the game has started. Check the discussion thread for details.

Eagle
Group Admin

Alright, that works; a few thing though. There is no invasion on the west coast and you'd have to go north to Alaska. Secondly the 2nd Armored isn't an NG unit.

Eagle
Group Admin

That works

Comment posted by xXRadiantXx deleted Aug 8th, 2015
Eagle
Group Admin

4608311 4615048 4610238 4608824
Just so you guys know you can go ahead and do what you please. I don't really have anything specific for you, so you can go on and do what you prefer.

4608972 4608378 4608188
Are you going to be taking part? Because I've mostly been waiting on you.

4620660 Got it, but I don't think I can do much I got a broken wrist right now, sorry.

Eagle
Group Admin

Don't worry about that man. It's not vital or anything.

4620995 K, tho I will try to be regular with updates.

4620660 won't be able to. Stuff came up in the family.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 30