The Pleasant Commentator and Review Group! 1,289 members · 149 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1
Tidal
Group Admin

Tidal is the name, Reviewing stories is my game!

Ok while I might not be as cool as Iron Will, the story I'm reviewing today might be. Its a one shot that I really don't want to spoil much of... so my commentary wont be very long... I know its gonna be hard but we will make it through this!

The Story being reviewed is called Who we are By Creations Sake

After the massive Equestrian disaster. What was left of pony kind had to disperse from what they once called home, and thousands of pony refugees fight for food and resources. Simply because they are to afraid to venture out into the uncharted lands that they had considered to be violent and inhospitable.
Yet there are those who realize that there salvation might just come from what they had formerly had mistrusted. So lets follow briefly the story of two ponies who have endured trials and tribulations traveling far across the uncharted deserts south of Equestria.

So let us begin with the description. I honestly have never read a post-apocalyptic fic so honestly at first I didn't know what to expect. I dove right in immediately.

A long since extinct magical parasite had found it’s way back into existence and it’s sole existence was to decimated the pony race. The parasite would enter through any means necessary. Meaning it mimicked the properties of a virus, spreading far past believable bounds. Infecting ponies left and right, causing them act violent and unpredictable.

Now hold on a second Spike. lets not get ahead of ourselves here. :facehoof:

But hope was revived when messages of support and salvation reached what was left of Equestria. Saddle Arabia, the distant desert country had offered refuge to anypony who could reach there country safely.

Lol they gotta make it hard to survive in situations like this! Crossing Deserts and s*** :trollestia:

but there was still two ponies out there. Risking there lives just like all the others before them. But there story differs from that of your typical refugees fleeing from their crumbling homeland. They hold the utmost conviction and hope, they have endured pain, trials, and tribulations to get where they are now. And one of those two ponies is far more optimistic than the other.

Ok. Not gonna lie, but this is gonna be good. A Scoots and Rainbow apocalyptic fic? I likey.

“RAINBOW DASH, we are out of water!” Yelled the concerned mare.
The words stopped the rainbow maned Pegasus in her tracks. She glanced back at the smaller Pegasus who just sat there in utter disappointment. “Scootaloo, pick up your tail then, we are going to need to find some more water.”

DAMN Rainbow. lol Fly up and get your own damn water. :rainbowdetermined2:

“You and me both know I can’t fly anymore, so that leaves you Scoots”

Oh. Well f*** (I wont tell you why she cant fly. That'll be spoiling it!) :scootangel:

Everything I once knew is either gone, destroyed, o-or infected.

Author... Where is everypony else... I'm really sad right now
The thought of Pinkie and Flutters and Luna being gone... all those memories... destroyed by this virus... it makes me saddy waddy :pinkiesad2:

“Scootaloo, we’re survivors…” Rainbow Dash said in a rather unfamiliar sincere tone. It caused Scootaloo to immediately stop crying to look up at her idol. “We survived and were going to keep doing that till…”

I skipped a lot avoid spoilers... but this line I really liked. it really shows that bond between Scoots and RD that I love seeing, It also brings out that curiosity in me. The "what happened to the others" question. Way to keep me in suspense author. :twilightsmile:

End Commentary.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Review Time.

FEELS METER
I'm not sure where this places on my feels meter... I mean what we know so far is sad. But I believe if we had a little more insight as to what happened before they entered the desert I'd be way sadder. 5 out of 10 for now.

MOOD
So the mood. Well the mood is mysterious and just... tragic. I mean everypony and everything is gone as far as we know. So the story left a lot of what ifs in my head. Which is brilliant by the author because its things like this that make people like me come back.

I like the title. "Who we are" Rainbow and Scoots are survivors. Somehow against all odds they find themselves halfway to safety, and even then they are still in danger. The story definitely showed Rainbow's and Scoots' relationship on a whole new level. Through this short story I feel worried for them, and when I finish the question lingers in my mind "What happened to them" The story wasn't in anyway hard to follow, I really wish there was more.

GRAMMAR
As I've said in an older review, I'm not the grammar master. But I did notice quite a few errors. A lot of theres that needed to be theirs. a few spelling mistakes as well. But all in all I'd say this story was written pretty well. I'll give it a 3.5 out of 5

STYLE
The story is third person around Rainbow and Scootaloo. The author opens it up without naming the characters right away, and giving us a piece of what's been going on in Equestria for a while, then it begins to follow them. Showing a well written tough Rainbow Dash, and a scared yet somewhat brave Scootaloo. I would've loved to see some more of these two together under these circumstances. Scootaloo tries to keep her brave face on, but as soon as she leaves Rainbow's side she begins to question. I love it! I want moar! Lol. The author did well keeping to their personalities even with the crises going on. Including Rainbow Dash's awesomeness during the fight scene with the giant monsters! (Spoilers!)

The author purposely hangs you off a cliff. He starts the story in the middle of the desert and we don't even get a glimpse of what these "Infected" Ponies are like. So aside from grammar, my suggestion to the author would be to write more. I saw in his author's note he said he might do a prequel or a sequel. Yes please do one! It'll be so cool to see Rainbow and Scoots, like a few months in advance. Or to see the incident in Trottingham which is mentioned a few times throughout the story.

My final rating for this story will have to be a 8 out of 10. Other readers? You must read this . It is so interesting and has so much potential. It earned my like, and the author earned my follow... I hope more is released in the future.
This story I recommend for really anypony. Especially ones who love tragedy, and if you are a Rainbow/Scootaloo fan.

Anyone who reads this story after my review come back and leave a comment, I'd love to compare thoughts on what may have happened to the others of the mane 6 and what may happen to RD next, It'll be an interesting discussion for sure If anypony participates!

I couldn't be as goofy as usual... cause I'm so curious as to what happened to my favorite characters! Thanks a lot author. Making me all sad, and conflicted and s***. lol :fluttercry:

This has been another sad review from Tidal, and look at Iron Will dance! :rainbowlaugh:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1