The American Civil War 71 members · 12 stories
Comments ( 14 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 14
lordvad3r95
Group Admin

So guys (or girls), what are some of the best and worst books you've read about the Civil War? For me, the best books I've ever read are Andersonville, The Killer Angels, The Blue and the Grey, and Across Five Aprils. As of late, I've never read a horrible book based on the subject, though as with any subject, I'm sure they're out there.

Eagle
Group Contributor

The best I know of are Gone With the Wind and The Red Badge of Courage; I haven't read a horrible book of it yet. Suspicious lack of civil war books for Louisiana...

Celestias Paladin
Group Contributor

Strange as it is... I've never really read any fictional book about the war, or non-fiction for that matter (apart from some on the Red River Campaign)

Eagle
Group Contributor

Gone with the Wind is probably the most famous Civil War story; though it doesn't really show actual combat as much, it does show what life was like in the war. I've heard people complain about the romance in the story and how it 'wasn't really about the war', but it's still really good and accurate; a nice step away from the tough battle novels like Clancy or Larry Bond write.

Celestias Paladin
Group Contributor

Considering when it was written, GwtW's accuracy might be debatable. Then again anything is better than Birth of a Nation in terms of accuracy, and yes I have seen it.

lordvad3r95
Group Admin

2559746 Oh dear lord, is it as bad as everyone says it is?

Comment posted by lordvad3r95 deleted Jan 9th, 2014
Celestias Paladin
Group Contributor

If you mean Birth of a Nation... it was considered racist even for it time, back when that was sociably acceptable. It was and still is an important part of cinema history, but that doesn't mean it is acceptable

Comment posted by Celestias Paladin deleted Jan 9th, 2014
Eagle
Group Contributor

It's sad to say just how influential it was; it helped create the new KKK and even influenced some U.S. Presidents at the time.

The Descendant
Group Contributor

If you haven't read the father/son Shara team's stories God's and Generals, The Killer Angels, and The Last Full Measure then I suggest getting them immediately!:twilightsmile:

Personally I recommend Rifles For Watie. It is one of the few novels about the western front of the war. It is also what helped me get into the Civil War as a kid.

Celestias Paladin
Group Contributor

Nearly everyone forgets the Western Theater, my unit is one of the exceptions since we fought there

Best Civil War book I ever read was "Co. Aytch" by Sam Watkins.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 14