Scooby-Doo 103 members · 8 stories
Comments ( 8 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 8
A Man Undercover
Group Admin

Yo, what’s up, Kemosabes?

This is your totally awesome film, TV show, and episode reporter here with another review.

Today, I'm gonna give you guys my 15th take on an installment of the Scooby-Doo franchise: "Scooby-Doo and the Alien Invaders".

Here's the rundown of it:

During a drive through a desert in Roswell, New Mexico, Scooby-Doo and the gang accidentally get stranded after a sandstorm causes the Mystery Machine to crash, blowing its radiator. Unwittingly, though, they find themselves embroiled in the middle of a town crisis when they find out that aliens have been terrorizing the citizens of Scorpion Ridge, particularly at night.

With the Mystery Machine out of commission, the Mystery Inc. gang decides that the only way they can help Scorpion Ridge rest easy is if they solve their new out-of-this-world mystery.

Along the way, Shaggy and Scooby meet a photographer named Crystal and her dog Amber.

In all honesty, I've been interested in reviewing more installments of the Scooby-Doo franchise for a long time, mainly considering it's been over one year since I did my review on "Scooby-Doo! And the Beach Beastie". It was only a matter of time since there were other things I wanted to review first.

"Scooby-Doo and the Alien Invaders" was often the franchise installment I had in mind the most in terms of what to review next. Despite not always having this movie in my personal collection, I saw it many times as a child by frequently renting it from Blockbuster, which was back when the company was running. I practically grew up with it! The interesting thing is that even though there were real aliens in this movie, I wasn't freaked out by that prospect in the slightest. Compared to when I saw "Scooby-Doo and the Witch's Ghost" as a child once, this movie was one I was able to calmly sit through.

Coming from a guy who reacquainted himself with the film recently, I will admit that I didn't think the movie was flawless.

It's primarily because I noted that there were some minor animation errors throughout the film. The errors in question were that whenever characters were not too close to the screen their facial features would look faded or undone. That, and the "The Aliens Are Here" song isn't what I consider the best in the franchise, because there were moments where it was hard to understand the singers.

Other than that, "Scooby-Doo and the Alien Invaders" was as wonderful as I remembered it being!

For instance, despite the minor nitpicks I pointed out, the animation was still an amazing site to behold. The animators managed to make great use of their budget even by direct-to-video standards, and I can tell that they were working on it all with passion.

The direction by Jim Stenstrum, the story by Davis Doi and Glenn Leopol, and the screenplay by Doi and Lance Falk, were well-done too.

Having often remembered that this was the second out of two of the four Scooby-Doo films where the film team didn’t have too much oversight from Warner Bros. executives or clashed with them, I really must say that they did a better job with this movie than their work on "Scooby-Doo on Zombie Island". The execution of the "monsters being real" scenario didn't feel as in-your-face as it did with the latter film, the tone was pleasantly light, and the filmmakers were clearly striving to make sure it felt like a Scooby-Doo film. The witty and humorous side of the film was likewise very entertaining, and the mystery was enrapturing to a tee. The movie wasn't without heart and emotion either, which came in the form of the growing bonds between Shaggy and Crystal, and Scooby and Amber.

The music by Louis Febre was magnificent, if I may add.

When it came to capturing the Scooby-Doo spirit while making music of his own in the process, Febre didn't mess around. His score carried a cinematic and emotional resonance that helped it be powerful beyond anything, and whenever aliens were featured there'd be a crescendo that would help the music feel like the kind someone would make after visiting space. Plus, the "How Groovy" song turned out to be a cute song to listen to, and the sequence it was featured in didn't distract from the story at all. The film's rendition of "Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!" is also one of the most amazing renditions I ever heard.

Finally, the voice acting, characters, and character development were fantastic.

In my opinion, the film showcased one of Scott Innes's best performances as Shaggy and Scooby by far. With the two characters being taken on a main character-level compared to most installments, Innes sounded like he was really throwing himself into voicing them. His impressions and comedic-timings were as fun as ever, and the way he used his voice for the physical moments that Shaggy and Scooby were involved in made him sound like he did more than provide their voices. The developments that Shaggy and Scooby had throughout the movie were also quite powerful.

The additions of Crystal and Amber were wonderful as well. Their chemistries with Shaggy and Scooby were entertaining, they had lovable personalities, and they weren't without development either; or surprises for that matter. As a plus, Candi Milo was terrific in her portrayals of both Crystal and Amber.

The rest of the performances and characters were brilliant too.

Whether I learned about Mark Hamill providing the voice of Steve the SALF worker long before making this review is something I don't remember, but in my opinion...compared to his work as Snakebite Scruggs in Zombie Island, his talents were far from underused! I won't give away what role Hamill's character in Alien Invaders has in the story for spoiler reasons, but I will say that whenever Steve was on-screen Hamill sounded like he was able to get the feel of who the character was as a person thanks to how important he was to the story. The same with Kevin Michael Richardson as Max and Audrey Wasilewski as Laura. Steve, Max, and Laura also had great development throughout the film.

In conclusion, "Scooby-Doo and the Alien Invaders" isn't 100% perfect. But, it's still one of the most enjoyable Scooby-Doo movies I've ever watched, and the lighter atmosphere it has should help it be something for all ages. As the final Scooby-Doo movie to star the late Mary Kay Bergman as Daphne Blake before her unexpected death, Alien Invaders served as a fitting sendoff and tribute to her.

So, I rate "Scooby-Doo and the Alien Invaders" 4½ out of 5 stars.

I agree 4½ out of 5 stars, is a great rating for this movie.

That, and the "The Aliens Are Here" song isn't what I consider the best in the franchise, because there were moments where it was hard to understand the singers.

Huh. I actually really liked that song. Lyrics could've been a little clearer though. Then again it might be partly due to the chase scene taking place throughout it. Hands down one of my favorites from the series.*

I did like the plot of Zombie Island better for the faster pacing and increased action. This one had a few good scenes, but the "romance" really drags it down, even if the new characters had some likable moments in their own right.

"Them aliens are here to take over the world!" Is still one of my favorite lines from Scooby-Doo. I really like that guy. I really wish we had got to spend more time with the townsfolk, as opposed to traipsing through the wilderness.

*Seriously the chase scene is top notch. I love all of the slipping and sliding that happens throughout it, as it really captures the feeling being chased over uneven terrain through multiple caverns. The lighting could've been more authentic, but that's very much a nitpick.

Even the gags happen quickly and believably enough, that they don't quite spoil the tension for me. And the alien movements and gestures (while corny as all get out) just works for me, then as well as now. I just really love this scene, including the ending cliffhangers.

A Man Undercover
Group Admin

Personally, I’m not a big fan of Zombie Island. That’s why I think Alien Invaders is the superior of the two Scooby-Doo films that weren’t overseen by executives.

I just found Alien Invaders underwhelming in some spots. At least plot and villain wise.

We never see the town in it's prime, or the mentioned cattle theft, and therefore are left unable to gage the depth of the damage the aliens cause. We are told about the impact of their actions, but never actually see most of their work in person, or get any indication that the bulk of it is ongoing.

I certainly couldn't tell you why getting rid of the aliens would fix anyone's problems. It wouldn't bring back the townsfolk, or their missing cattle, and it seems unlikely to turn anything around for the town anytime soon, given it's implied poor location in a low traffic area.

Plus the aliens lack the same kind of impact or imperiling presence on the cast that other Scooby-Doo movie villains have, in terms of onscreen damage (both physical and psychological).

Up until the final they are basically nuisances, without any physical threat or tension behind them. The one time the aliens did get physical before the final, they just leave Shaggy and Scooby out in the desert. Maybe I'm too much of a action buff, but it just didn't work for me, especially given how Scooby-doo's other movie villains tended to be much more obviously dangerous.

And then there's the romance. Even if your someone who's into that kind of thing, so much so that you don't mind how it eats up a otherwise straight forward mystery, the way they ended it was the most laughably depressing thing I've ever seen.

By having Shaggy immediately forget about Crystal (to say nothing of how she breaks up with Shaggy) it's basically the writer's saying they knew nothing could ever be allowed to come of this.

But if that was the case, then why did they makes us sit through numerous jokes at the duo's expense, and a nearly 4 minute long love song? Either it was a convenient (and to be honest, kind of forced) plot device to get Crystal and Amber to work with Shaggy and Scooby, or it's the longest joke romance ever played out on screen. I wasn't laughing then, and it's still not funny.

As for Zombie Island, it definitely has it's drawbacks, but it is never actually boring. Creepy and unsettling sure, but not boring. It's a point in it's favor, if nothing else.

A Man Undercover
Group Admin

As for Zombie Island, it definitely has it's drawbacks, but it is never actually boring. Creepy and unsettling sure, but not boring. It's a point in it's favor, if nothing else.

There are several reasons for why Zombie Island is inferior to Alien Invaders.

The whole “monsters being real” scenario was executed in a way that was too in-your-face, which made it come across as less than genuine. The jokes it had were flat and unfunny, Billy West’s portrayal as Shaggy was annoying with a capital ‘A’, the performances of Welker, Innes, Bergman, and Ward in that movie were too whiny-sounding, and the character of Snakebite Scruggs was the most pointless addition out of every side character in the film. The movie as a whole didn’t even feel like a Scooby-Doo film because of how dark it was, and it barely managed to capture the spirit of the franchise.

The whole “monsters being real” scenario was executed in a way that was too in-your-face, which made it come across as less than genuine.

I don't real see the problem with that personally. Then again, it's possible I just wasn't really looking too hard for the nuances in Scooby-Doo. The series has never been exactly subtle. Even before the debut of the modern movies.

Billy West’s portrayal as Shaggy was annoying with a capital ‘A’,

I watched it partway through again, and while there are some annoying voice cracks, they aren't too prevalent, at least in the parts I watched. Can't have been more then six, and most appear very early on, before we have any time to really build up the story in any way.

the performances of Welker, Innes, Bergman, and Ward in that movie were too whiny-sounding

Unless you have a ear for tone I don't, I'm going to have to disagree. They sound no worse here then they do in the new movies. If anything, I think Daphne is more on point here, than she is in some of the other entries. Looking at you, Legend of the Vampire.

the character of Snakebite Scruggs was the most pointless addition out of every side character in the film.

He's a creepy side character, and red hearing. The old shows and movies had dozens of those. Plus the moment when he let's loose his pig on Shaggy and Scooby is legit terrifying.

The movie as a whole didn’t even feel like a Scooby-Doo film because of how dark it was, and it barely managed to capture the spirit of the franchise.

I mean, it is off putting because of the horror, but it isn't poorly done. It's still scary, which is 90% of what you need in a horror story. Plus they do a much better job explaining the lore than in other movies, when the monster's are real 'just because'.

And honestly, despite the horror elements, it still comes off in the kind of hokey manner you would expect from Scooby-Doo. It's not perfect by any means, or even my favorite, but it's got some decent pluses, for all it's various faults. (You forgot, or didn't notice, that some of the character expressions for the Gardner during the climax being surprisingly devoid of emotion.)

A Man Undercover
Group Admin

I watched it partway through again, and while there are some annoying voice cracks, they aren't too prevalent, at least in the parts I watched. Can't have been more then six, and most appear very early on, before we have any time to really build up the story in any way.

The biggest problem with West’s performance is that it was incredibly squeaky, which was a similar case with his work as Bugs Bunny in a couple of Looney Tunes media. It made the voice come across as more irritable than decent, and his comedic-timings throughout the film were terrible.

Unless you have a ear for tone I don't, I'm going to have to disagree. They sound no worse here then they do in the new movies. If anything, I think Daphne is more on point here, than she is in some of the other entries. Looking at you, Legend of the Vampire.

As a long time reviewer and an aspiring actor and vocal performer, I pretty much grew an ear for vocal performances. In every Scooby-Doo installment before or after Zombie Island, their performances are normally much more calm and natural sounding no matter the situation, which wasn’t the case at all with Zombie Island.

He's a creepy side character, and red hearing. The old shows and movies had dozens of those. Plus the moment when he let's loose his pig on Shaggy and Scooby is legit terrifying.

It’s true that side characters and red herrings aren’t uncommon in the franchise, but...in a format made to tell one big story, Scruggs honestly seemed like he was there for no significant purpose whatsoever. Basically, he was too unnecessary and unimportant, and he didn’t even play a big part in terms of the overall mystery. Especially once it became apparent that his purpose was to scream to the heavens every time Shaggy and Scooby got in his way.

I mean, it is off putting because of the horror, but it isn't poorly done. It's still scary, which is 90% of what you need in a horror story. Plus they do a much better job explaining the lore than in other movies, when the monster's are real 'just because'.

And honestly, despite the horror elements, it still comes off in the kind of hokey manner you would expect from Scooby-doo.

That’s certainly not what I think, I’ll tell you that.

It’s poorly done because it was too imbalanced by the horror-side of it all, the whole real monsters thing is not given any clear explanation despite trying to explain itself, and it certainly didn’t have any “hokey manner” or sense of fun.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 8