Trixie is the Greatest Pony 1,109 members · 1,481 stories
Comments ( 9 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 9

I've been working on a project lately that ends up requiring Trixie to play an instrument. While her EQG counterpart is a guitarist, canon Trixie doesn't have much going in musical terms. Personally, I was thinking of a violin. I really like the concept of Trixie being a Romani, and there's that instrument commonly associated with them.

But I'd like to have a third view on this. Also, I'm very curious about your opinions. So, what do you guys think?

I was thinking synthesizer, or something loud, something that screams "I'm here, notice me!"

I think Trixie would be easy to associate with an instrument that carries prestige. Given her tendency to seek a spotlight.
Violin is a good choice.
Grand Piano is good too.

But really the instrument she plays should be informed by the story.
Is Trixie picking up an instrument this week because she needs to? Or is this something she's always been practicing? Or is it something she did a long time ago and is now dusting off?
Is her motivation with the instrument to show off? To draw attention? Was it something her mother pushed her into? Is it something she does just for herself?
The appropriate instrument probably changes depending on the answers. Big and eye-catching instruments fit if she made the choice based on being noticed. Similarly instruments that often get a solo role or are placed center stage would fit in with that kind of motivation as well.
Where as simpler more humble instruments might work if she never intended to play for a crowd. A mere flute might work there as its something personal to her, or the roma instrument if its a family thing.

Guitars, violins, tambourines, and accordions are used by Gipsy performers. some would also use flutes and horns in more modern times.

Yeah, I see how. Not unlike the double guitar. Something that calls to attention the moment it's on stage.

Alright, those are very fair questions, so let me see what I have:
It's something she's picked since her teenage years, and kept around into her young adulthood (the time frame where the story takes place).
More than being noticed, it's a way to express herself. Her parent (still deciding on either), while not abusive, is unattentive, as well as her bigger sister. She's also reserved. Not that she's quiet or anti-social, but she has a hard time opening herself to others. So, music is a way of emoting for Trixie.

Of course, she's still (a version of) Trixie, so it's also intended for a crowd. But that's not its main purpose, or the reason she picked it up to begin with. Because of the expression side, it also has to be something that's traditionally associated with grace, and play in the range of piano, in Sol key. Also, portable. Something Trixie can pick from one place to another without more effort than placing it on her back and trot.

I'm still inclined for the violin after that.

With Trixie's canon persona being about showmareship, it does make sense for it to be something associated with folklore, doesn't it?

I think I'd be inclined to agree with the violin.
It is portable, classical and it comes with the positition of first or second violin in performances.
I'm sure there's all kinds of things one could do with an offical 'second place' position and Trixie.

I can think of one thing or two. Thanks a lot for the help, it really did clear things.

Awesome! Good luck with your story! :yay:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 9