Trixie is the Greatest Pony 1,109 members · 1,481 stories
Comments ( 10 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 10

Hi, I was thinking and I would like to explore what kind of characters, backgrounds and situations fits for building a credible backstory with our favorite showmare. These are mines:

1.- Trixie is a Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass
During the Ursa attack Trixie had this situation; That's one big mean mother hubbard that just stepped in my house as it was nothing AND looks angry. Trixie could...
a)Flight

OR
b)Fight

Do you remember which one she took?

2.- Trixie is part of the Equestrian equivalent to Romani
This one isn't a very big leap of logic. The show gives us a good trade of the typical stereotypes associated with romani; lives in a caravan, con artist, hot tempered, colorful clothing, etc. (and the censors think that Derpy is offensive)
But on a lighter interpretation I would like to think that the romani from Equestria are like the ones from the book Cien Años de Soledad (One Hundred Years of Solitude) by García Márquez, nomads that trade culture, knowledge and inventions from town to town. This is mostly because I know near to nothing about real life romani but Cien Años... is easily one of my favorites reads, also Macondo has some common features with Ponyville.

2.1.- Following the previous one, Trixie is the adoptive daughter of Princess Luna/Nightmare Moon
Because of this song:

But for this canon to work it has to be Nightmare Moon instead of Luna since it would be previous to the events from the show.
Nightmare Moon, devastated by loneliness, made the same pact from the song with Trixie's mother in order to have a daughter to make her company. But since Trixie's features doesn't fit with any of her parents... Just look at the video.

3.- Trixie is a rather good singer.
In a lot of fics and somewhat in canon, a strong part of Trixie's shows are the stories she tells. This puts her in the same level with medieval minstrels. I'm thinking about something like this:

4.- Trixie is a fellow writer.
Again, stories seems like something important in Trixie's shows. But where do they come from? Keeping it with the traveling showpony image, the logical explanation is that she makes up her own stories. But, just like Edgar A. Poe, she antagonized just the wrong list of ponies so her stories doesn't stand too much in the paper, making it more an addition to her show than anything else.

5.- Trixie is the circus equivalent to Batman
This is another fine piece of 'Wave Blaster is rambling again'.
Raised inside the magic of the tent, when the little azure unicorn earned her cutiemark in magic Trixie decided to make it about the magic of performing. So she trained herself in everything that could be done in a circus performance, that being:
Acrobatics, jugglery, magic and illusion, escapism, knife trowing, acting, trick shooting, wild animals taming, general stunts.

So, that's what I got without re-reading the stuff on my favorites folder or borrowing things from TVtropes. These aren't exclusives between themselves and could be part of the Trixie I'm pulling out in Mare-Do-Well Strikes!

What do you think? Do you have you own head canon? Leave a comment and let me know.

my headcanon:

She was born and raised dirt poor in the bayou's of Equestria. Her mother probably practiced voodoo, father was never around.

Trixie's favorite foods are pine-cones and mother's home made beignets.

She's actually one of the greatest wielders of magic in Equestria (rivaling Starswirl) unfortunately, her ego and attitude gets in the way. But no matter, what is the point of being good if no one pays attention to you?

She refers to herself in the third pony so ponies won't forget her name. But don't you DARE refer to her as "Lulamoon" its either "Trixie", "Miss Trixie" or "Trixie Lulamoon" NEVER just "Lulamoon" or "Miss Lulamoon"

Temporarily worked at a rock farm in order to make ends meet between performances.

Trixie traveled with and performed with a Vaudeville troupe before quitting to make it on her own because Trixie doesn't share the spotlight.

She has a Twilight Sparkle voodoo doll that she pins every time she gets a successful show.

I go with the Romani idea, too. Kind of.

Compiled from the notes of an actually non-Trixie-centric story (it's Carrot Top's story, and she meets Trixie's family while travelling)—
I have mustangs as the pony version of romani. They're earth pony separatists who refused to join the other two tribes after the events of the Hearthwarming Story, primarily out of distrust of the oppressive unicorns. While they live in Equestria, they keep to themselves and don't generally associate with ponies outside of their clans.

Trixie's grandfather was pretty accepting and open, for a mustang, and when their caravan met a travelling unicorn who needed a place to stay, granddad let him tag along. Unfortunately, said unicorn bailed at the next town after knocking up his host's daughter, and soon enough she gave birth to a unicorn.

As one of the hated unicorns among a mustang clan, Trixie felt like an outcast among outcasts, even if her immediately family accepted her unquestioningly. That feeling of rejection is what produced her confrontational and self-reliant personality. She trusts no one, never lets her true self through if she can help it, and is convinced she can get by on her own.

Once I finally finish the Carrot Top story (which I'll start posting once I finish my big HIE Sombra thing), I think there will be a sequel where Trixie finally goes back to see her family again.

And yes, her personal backstory was pretty much based on Cher's "Gypsies, Tramps, and Thieves".

Not bad, not bad. I specially liked the insistent terminology for her name. Is like a pony Jack Sparrow, I mean Captain Jack Sparrow.

I recently found this author Gabriel LaVedier that has his own interpretation of pony romani or 'roani' here:... And I'm Roani

In a more personal note, I would like to think that Trixie is the lovechild of this couple:

My interpretations of The Blue One:

Obviously not as powerful as Twilight Sparkle (but then, who is?), but well above the standard. Her primary advantage is that she knows every spell in her repertoire extremely well, because she practices them unto perfection - this is vital because she needs to perform flawlessly on stage. (Contrast with Twilight Sparkle, who keeps moving on to new spells once she has a basic grasp on them, hence why she messes up so often.) She also has a wide repertoire of basic but adaptable spells that she can use to put together new acts, as well as show up neighsayers.

Trixie is, as Wave Blaster suggests, a 'Batman': she's got a ton of mixed skills. Everything from traveling/survival skills (cooking, foraging, wagon repair, setting up camp, first aid...), crowd management (fanon depictions aside, she wouldn't be a good performer if she couldn't bend a few ears), and of course magic. She lives alone and cannot depend on other ponies, she she has to be able to do everything for herself.

Trixie is very confident in her abilities and actually rather courageous when she needs to be. She is aware of her limits but is willing to take risks when needed (she admitted that she couldn't defeat the Ursa, but was still willing to fight it to protect the children; she intentionally riled up the Diamond Dogs to the point where they might have become a threat, confident that Dash would save her). She's not foolhardy nor a coward.

Trixie is physically fit thanks to all the traveling and wagon-pulling she does. She can't match a dedicated athlete like Dash or AJ, but she can hold her own. She could easily do the Running of the Leaves without getting too winded, and would probably score well on ability alone. (Though she might cheat to improve her position even further.)

Trixie cares little for money. She performs because she loves the performing life, the fame and the glory. She could probably find any other, more well-paying job, but that's not what she wants to do. As such, she also has little material attachment.

Trixie is a Lone Wolf and a Free Spirit. She doesn't want to be tied down or have to rely on anypony else if she can possibly avoid it. She's the star of her own story. But if she actually needs help, she's not too proud to ask for it... or offer thanks.

At heart, Trixie is actually a pretty nice pony, as most ponies are. She wants to be loved and admired and appreciated, and likes to think that she can be a hero when opportunity strikes. (Hence why she aided Ponyville in fighting the nightmare creatures.) But she absolutely cannot stand getting insulted or belittled, and has a bit of a temper. Anypony who intentionally steps on her hooves gets their dues, with interest.

How long has this been here?
You know, all of that kinda make Trixie a jack of all stats. It actually makes sense.

Well, it would technically be Nightwing more than batman.

That is correct. I totally forgot back then, and even now, it only clicked after the 2016 series played a whole arc about Nightwing's Romani roots.

I bet Trixie started at age 12, though.

Selene Bright
Group Admin

I know this is an old post but I just wanted to thank you for introducing me to this gem of a song.

No worries, I don't mind picking up old conversations anyways.

Yes, that song is as beautiful as it is tragic. And its very, very tragic.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 10