The Perpetual Discussion Group 138 members · 58 stories
Comments ( 11 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 11

As discussed with ChaseCosmicwing and Lord Ershwin Wholewheat on Skype, Magic could be defined as energy of free flowing electrons that is based on a frequency that can be manipulated by either special organelles within cells randomly or by concentrating on the desired frequency and activating said organelles into a discharge.

Different frequencies lead to different effects. i.e. kinetic discharges, levitation, fire, electricity.

Different magic could be categorized in three areas:

1.Basic (Natural); Simple discharges of electrons as energy. (Radiated micro explosions)
2.Manipulated; Creating a constant discharge of desired frequency. (Kinesis)
3.Concentrated; Manipulation of matter through highly controlled and constant frequency. (Biological healing)

This means that a specialized cell could take magical energy (Mana, for lack of better terms), and convert it to diverse frequencies that are catalysts to different reactions.

In addition, other materials could react to magic differently in ways of amplification or resistivity according to its susceptibility to such energy. .i.e. Wizard wands, special magical manipulators like charms and amulets, the like.

The theory extends beyond that, but this is the main gist without fleshing out very specific examples.

Feel free to leave thoughts.

Magic is Magic; it doesn't need to be explained. That's like trying to tell a 6 year old how magnets are supposed to work.

2050282 It is if you want to find logical explanation and not be left with blind reliance on the fact that it just "is".

2050282 This does, however, work as a writing tool. Simply put, this is a group about intelligent discussion, and this is a tool useful for stories more focused on the nitty gritty things. I think it's worthwhile to read over.

Could be an anti-entropy force built up from all the expended energy.

AtomicMuffin
Group Admin

2050274 One thing that bothers me about that.

Remember this episode? There were several occasions where either Trixie or Twilight had to conjure an object out of thin air. How would your model account for the spontaneous production of matter from nothing? Especially if magic is simply energy stored with cells and therefore has not sustainable mass.
(I also just really like that picture.)

2050340 There are two possibilities:

1. The matter is created on the spot from air by increasing subatomic particle count until the desired compund it created and continuing to do so until sufficient mass is achieved.

EDIT: Energy is readily accessed from the environment and is not restricted to the biomass of the creature. It is stored externally and then released simultaneously.

2. Energy at FTL speed brings the preexisting desired object to the area in a manner similar to Kinesis, but at FTL speed.

AtomicMuffin
Group Admin

2050356 Works for me.

2050274 Damn. That actually sounds reasonable from my totally non-scientific standpoint :twilightsmile:
Spells could then be a way of attaining "mental states" which trigger those discharges.

Good luck trying to explain time-reversal spells with that though.

2050433 Time is just a property of reality. It can be slowed. Therefore it can be manipulated.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 11