The Perpetual Discussion Group 138 members · 58 stories
Comments ( 17 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 17

This is not that bs kind of Satanism what with all the sacrificing and such, but legitimate Satanism. First off, the introduction of a religion, period, should likely have a rather interesting effect.

If you don't know about Satanism as a legitimate religion and not just the bs the media and such feed you, it is a religion based solely around focusing on achieving the closest thing to perfection you are capable of, and in the world of our little ponies, this is something that can easily be equated to the ascension to alicorn status.

If you want to know more, ask. I can pull up my old references, but I want to hear some ideas on the effects of such a thing.

Obviously, this would be introduced from outside of the world, say, from other beings.

MDNGHTRDHTLN
Group Admin

2023899 Well, some ponies would definitely try to be the best they could be. I could see Trixie becoming one, so as to become more powerful. Although, it may spiral out of control in the same way it has on Earth. Overall, I'd say that ponies would either embrace it or push it away. There'd be no middle ground.

Well, this was certainly an interesting topic, especially for being only the third in the forum.

But I'm glad you brought this up. Is the topic meant to be solely on the introduction of Satanism or could it also be about how the religion was spread as well?

So you do agree that it could be a useful element to a story? I believe it would work very well as a means of expanding on character. I definitely agree that Trixie would be one to embrace such an idea, and that shows something about her, though, depending on how the writer portrays it, her character can open in many different fashions.

I see that a writer could make her turn to it as a sort of method to strengthen herself, using the practices as rituals, and taking on the more humbled student look, showing a bit of true development as a pony in that she still seeks power as before, but has turned to strict discipline and other respectable means.

Conversely, I can see the author making her road easier through this new practice, and maybe letting it feed the ego we saw in her first appearance, showing that sometimes a taboo is such for a reason, and showcasing the infamous "power corrupts" trope.

I, for one, believe this could show promise in the right hands(or hooves, if you will) and turn out to be yet another amazing aspect to a story about characters growing or crumbling. I think there are far too many great devices that writers here are not making full use of that could turn their gems into something exponentially more dimensional, and without much extra effort beyond making sure to stick to their tools, which any writer needs to learn to master.

The topic is meant to prompt discussion, my friend. If you've got words to show us, put them out there. I'm actually interested to see where this can go. Who knows, this may even inspire somepony to put the tool to use, and provide them with a bit of a skeleton to work with.

In short: Let me know what you think on either. I'm ever curious.

2024048 Hmm...
I believe that the religion in its purest form would, as Froggie put it:

...either embrace it or push it away

The idea behind it would appeal to those of perhaps a higher social status (so as to better themselves) but I presume it would go unnoticed by the more common ponies. As for its use as a writing tool, this string of thought might even lead to the clarification of the celestial Princesses' standing as deities.
The reasoning behind why I stated that the common ponies wouldn't exactly give a buck show too many signs that it was affecting them is that the whole situation could be compared to real life. How often are you approached by someone of the same social standing as yourself that questions you on your religious choices/preferences? And on that same note, how often do you see the media/your nation's leaders capitalizing on the differences between religious groups and their beliefs? The ratio is very unbalanced.
It has already been established that Equestria and Equine as a whole is a much more tolerant and forgiving reality than our own, so I believe that those who follow Discordism (the closest thing they have to a spirit of self-pride) wouldn't be judged on their choices and thus the media wouldn't have any controversial pieces to spread on the matter, THEREBY not spreading the religion itself. (circular reasoning, I know)
It seems that you yourself have put a great deal of thought into it and I look forward to anything you do with it.

Yours in controversy,
David Brony

Oh, and I forgot to clear this up:
As to how it would help convey the Princesses standing, the introduction of a new religion (even one such as Satanism) would also bring with it a deviance from the standard worship of the Princesses. For this to even be a breakaway from the norm, however, it would mean that there was in-fact a baseline to start with. In both the show and in many fanfictions, the status of the Princesses holiness is never truly revealed; which leads to many head-scratches as to whether or not there is any other religion other than Celestality, or any religion at all for that matter!
Therefore, Discordism/Chrysalism (I don't even understand myself, to be honest) would serve as a keystone to the arc that would be "Religion in Equine".

Actually, I'm glad you brought the media up. You have an undeniable point in the matter here: Since Equestria, as a whole, seems to be a very tolerant and forgiving place, especially when compared to our world, controversy enough to earn media attention would have to be pretty big. This would definitely be an interesting approach to this tool.

Let's see, if I followed correctly, and please, do correct me if I have not, then this says that about the only way that a religion would really get around in this setting would be through the spreading from those who brought it in the first place.

In the lighter version you bring up here, such a thing as, well, any religion, really, wouldn't have a lot of effect, though it could definitely set noteworthy undertones if the writer is good with forging subtleties. In a darker version, however, say, one like I enjoy painting for my readers, and that many {good} dark stories would paint, any religion could have strong effects, tossing and turning tides.

Truly, the effects of the introduction of any religion would depend on the tone of the story and the ability of the writer. I think this would be more powerfully used in a dark story, as it would be much more powerful in one. Say, shortly before this, the royal sisters seem to be feuding and unrest sets in across the country. Religion, cults, activists, revolutionaries, a world bustling with possibility for the well-learned writer, simply dripping with facets to explore as subtly or bluntly as the writer sees fit. I see a world of beauty with this if used well and in the right places.

Do you have any thoughts on darker versions of Equestria where the effects would be less subtle?

Now that is thinking, mate. That's something I'd looked over entirely. The Royal Sisters do see to be held very highly, but there really isn't any true religion discussed, so it's an up-in-the-air idea, and one that could work very well in a story. You're quick, mate. I can respect that, for sure.

2024256 Firstly, as I read your post about the undertones of a new religion in Eq., my mouth began to water with the prospect of several writers stumbling upon this and creating a mind-blowing set of companion pieces.
And on to the matter at hoof, I must say that a darker/grimdark variation of Equestria where the populace an-

Oh, wait, I just received a pop-up telling me that you just commented (my connection is downright appalling as of late) so I will answer after I reload. Give me a minute or two to do so, as again, my connection is crap.

2024288Well I've switched to my cell phone to continue this discussion and I thank you for the compliment, a high praise from someone such as yourself.
With all connection errors aside now I must say that any darker variation of Equestria where the social/hierarchical ramifications are lessened seems a bit unlikely in any given case. Obviously something such as this couldn't just be casually mentioned in a Eq. world where everything else is held so seriously.

"Hey Twilight did you hear about that massive plot backlay that led to separation of church and state due to the fact that our nation's leaders are in and of themselves deities capable of shifting worlds!"
"No, Applejack, that never occured to me. And what a well-speculated thought from such a simple farm-pony such as yourself!"

The mentioned scenario seems very unlikely to me. :)

Fixed above error.

Oh, Darling, I'm ecstatic to know you think highly of me, but I'm just another pegasus, just relaxing in the clouds and speculating on the finer points and devices of storytelling.

For your point, however, I'm going to again assume I'm reading into it correctly. I'm glad that you can appreciate the differences in impact of such a thing between the differing tones of Eq. I honestly can't tell you how many ponies I've talked to that don't understand the fundamental qualities of transcending tone in a story.

Of course the only way to keep yourself afloat in a darker Eq. would be to stay aware of the world around you. The media would be covering every little change, anything that caused a shift would be everywhere in no time. In a world like this, ideas could spread like wildfire easily, and something like religion could erupt everywhere at once.

So much as I would love to divulge in my ideas, I would be here for hours, and my post would likely take up the whole screen. Oh, dear, look at me, already rambling. Oh, I hate getting so charged. I can never just let loose my ideas. It's simply dreadful. Though, to be honest, I'm wondering about what else I could bring up for discussion on this thread. I suppose I will have to wait, though. I want to be able to aptly monitor the thread, so if I don't hurry with the idea, I'll have to be off to sleep well before anypony even comments.

Would it be terribly inappropriate to pop up another thread? Should I maybe try to keep things low-key here? I like to think I'm quite capable of keeping up with multiple things at once, and I'm positive I could handle watching at least three threads at once, in case attention to two threads would be your concern towards saying 'no'.

No need to reply, I suppose. If you don't I'll just save up a good idea for later, maybe do a bit of research on things, definitely explore facets and keep notes. My point in asking is that, well, it's your group, and I wouldn't want to chance flooding the forums so early into the groups livelihood.

2024518Well, if this means it is time to adjourn this session, then I must first say I wish you a night of sweet-dreams courtesy of Luna herself, and secondly that I do hope we can continue this discussion tommorow.
However, if I have misread your comment then I would greatly like to further discussion as soon as possible.
Please respond in regards to the state of this thread at your leisure.

I will be awake for a few more hours at least. Especially so if I'm able to start up a new thread as well. As for now, well, I suppose it would be a good point in the thread to discuss things in a bit more detail, would it not? As I've said before, I'm ever curious and especially interested in just where this particular thread can end up.

2024572 Wonderful! Any particular point you would like me to elaborate on?

(On a side note, if I am keeping you from precious hours of sleep, please do not hesitate to tell me so. I would hate to be a bother:pinkiesmile:)

2024572 Well, I suppose I am off to see to another thread, but if anything comes to you that you are dying to share, please PM me the moment it comes to you. I eagerly await your response. :pinkiehappy:

Hoping a stroke (of genius) will befall you,
David Brony :moustache:

MDNGHTRDHTLN
Group Admin

2024518 You can start a new thread if you want.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 17