The Perpetual Discussion Group 138 members · 58 stories
Comments ( 9 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 9
Cromegas_Flare
Group Admin

Why do you write, and is it for the right reasons?

So ya, why do you write on this site? For many, there are reasons that one can not simply count or consciously recognize right of the bat so take a moment to think here. I want to talk about this, and talk about this in depths that others might not want to take it to.

It's been a while since I've posted on this group, but I still check on it regularly to know that you guys still follow the threads enough to comment and chat. I would very much like you opinion on this matter.

Some people are here to just get quick fame and recognition of their existence in this world, that would be to write something with a decent story line and flow. However, most people who first join this sight just simply write something, and publish it, not even looking twice at the errors that might be in the story it self. The story is published and they sit there hopping that someone will see the words and at least press the like button, or even push the favorite star on the top right.

I did this when I first joined up. I was suffering from a rather tough time in my life, one that haunts me to this day. Don't worry, I know how to handle those issues now. However, my first goal when I joined this sight, was not to get some fame, or a ton of recognition. It was to see how people would react to my raw sense of writing. Least to say, it was not good. However, I did want fame, I did want recognition, and I wanted to be known in the brony community that I'm here and my voice was to be heard. In the end, I did want that. Those were not my reasons though, and that is why I'm still here today.

My reasons are simple, get some practice on writing, find people who are willing to help. Help others in any way I can, and most of all... Make Friends.

I'm here to make friends, to keep in touch with the world as I borrow deep into life, a life that would actually detach me from the world. All my life, I had been detached from how things are to what they are meant to be.

TL;DR

In the long run, I'm not here to get famous. I'm here to have fun writing, and to make friends. Everything ells is Icing on the cake.

Things to remember.
-This sight is not important enough to spend all your life on. Just make it a got to when you have time... like facebook. (or how facebook should be anyway.)

-I count you all as real people, despite what my in real life friends say.

-I'm here to stay.

Now, why do you write? Why are you on Fimfiction?

Well, I write as a occasional pass time and hobby. I don't wanna be horse-famous, I write because I like to at times:eeyup:

Cromegas_Flare
Group Admin

I don't wanna be horse-famous

Really? You don't want it? I still think that in heart, people want it, it's just weather or not they write for those reasons that makes the difference.

As for it being a hobby, That is great because no matter what I do with my life, writing stories is going to be a large part of it. As well as going to speech and drama classes to help myself learn how to speak more properly... wow, that was random.

Anyway, writing because you like to is among the most important reasons there.

Something I would like to touch on is the difference between reasons and results. Reasons will always directly connect to results, but there are some things that are results which are not meant to be reasons. Some of those things are getting famous, or getting rich with money. Yes, those things can be apart of the goal, but reasons need to be motivational. If the reason is as simple as making money... there's got to be more to it. Why do you need the money? That answer is usually the more solid reason that creates the motivation. So... let me now rephrase the question.

What motivates you to write?

Well, I've always had an active imagination since I was a kid and I guess what motivates me to write is that I want the stories and characters in my head to come out onto the paper

Cromegas_Flare
Group Admin

I understand that actually... I was the type of kid that would look at my street and neighborhood and see it as a high security fortress that was shaped like a gumball machine.

And now it has translated people getting turned into pastel colored ponies:derpytongue2:

3474065 When I got into this fandom, I had ideas roaming in my mind. It was like my brain was infected with MLP. I couldn't go a day without seeing something pony related.

I found out, that putting down my ideas calmed my inner pony chaos and gave me a fix of daily MLP.

Posting my first story made me feel like I was a part of something greater. I wasn't just an observer; I was immersed.

One year later, things haven't subsided yet. I'm still drawn here. My ideas are still procreating in my mind.

I have a problem, though. I'm not the best writer out there. I make mistakes. Many mistakes of all types and I can't even see them. For some reason, I'm blind to them until they are shown to me.

Feedback helps me tremendously toward improving, but it is scarce. Getting more views also increases the feedback that I get. In a sense, I want to get famous in order to get more views, in order to get more feedback, in order to learn how to write properly, in order to be able to increase my quantity of writing by lowering the time invested in editing, in order to purge my infected brain.

There is another reason. One that I haven't noticed at the beginning. My writing acts as a mirror. I can see inside myself. I can see things that I never even imagined. I want to learn more about this subspace of mine, but it can only be observed in my writings. I need to write more, to understand myself more.

I've already ventured to far. I would, at this point, write even if nobody saw my stories. It’s like there is no escape from it. I don’t even want to escape it. I want to stay here. It’s so blissful here.

3474065 The first question is easy: Because I want to be horse famous! :raritywink:

Pardon the non-joke there.

The actual reasons lie more in just getting my ideas out on the computer. In some ways, I don't get quite nearly as much kick out of writing in itself than, say, listening to pop songs all day (And yes, I do do that, I'm aware that to some of you, my music tastes are bottom of the barrel. :P) but the excitement comes in finally seeing that the story is completed: When I feel like this idea I 'deem worthy' to show to the world actually comes to fruition.

Of course, though, I'm aware that it won't be well received sometimes and, quite frankly, a small part of me still wants that, but I'm fully aware that we could all improve somehow, whether we're horse famous or not.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't want the fame or fortune (well maybe not the latter), but it seems that that's not a big enough incentive for me to actually sit down and write something :ajbemused:

I think I write because I like to 'flesh out' the way I view the world. Writing is a way for me to understand how different peoples 'think' about the world, and how that 'thinking' dictates what they do. Yes, I studied politics and philosophy :P.

For example, as of the moment I'm struggling through a fanfic that's inspired by a book I was reading about 19th Century Russia (haven't posted it here yet). There are actually a lot of similarities between pony culture and the Russian culture of that time, so writing about it gives me an opportunity to 'test' and deepen my knowledge of the period.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 9