The Perpetual Discussion Group 138 members · 58 stories
Comments ( 2 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 2

I guess it’s my fault for wandering into Fox new territory for trying to see if their claims against films such as “The Lorax” and “Arietty” were THAT bad. Darn my curious nature. :fluttershyouch:

Anyways, if it’s “propaganda” because the film is blatantly anti-corporate/wealthy people, then I can somewhat understand their concern. Sorta. According to my father and his Politically Incorrect Guides, environmentalists use fear mongering to convey their messages and exploit our need to survive and protect the Earth in order to gain control (and money) for themselves. In other words, they are just as greedy and exploitive as the Capitalists that they are supposedly up against and portray as the villains. Not ALL, but most.
(Wait, so we all still care about nature and animals and all that but actually pointing out the dangers of taking it for granted and attempting to do something about it makes you a communi- oh, nevermind)

I guess “The Lorax” is KINDA guilty of this, seeing how they portray being corporate as inherently evil, with the Onceler more or less FORCED into it by his greedy relatives in this version (I note that the video discusses this never brings up the original short or even the book, which depicts the Oncler slowly going corrupt, showing that too much greed can have consequences), but the film itself has several business tie-ins, including cars. Not even a hybrid car either, but your average gas-guzzler. :facehoof:What would the Lorax say? Oh that’s right, it’s “Truffula Tree” approved. But if their argument is that caring about the environment is bad in and of itself… well, you’ve just proven what you claim this movie is about.

And then I come across this list of kids films with a supposed agenda.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/gallery/political-agendas-childrens-movies-you-268391
Some right, but mostly left. And guess what film I find on the list?

And in the comments…

I started watching Finding Nemo...the moment it had fishermen as evil, ruthless people to be feared (fish aren't vegans), I turned it off. That was within 2 minutes of starting. So I've never seen more than 2 minutes of finding nemo. If you it was "...a chore, though, to find a conservative who would pan Finding Nemo due to politics," I just lessend the work load for you. Even less than Obama's economy has

My. Favorite. Film. Accused. Of. Being. Leftist. Propaganda. :twilightangry2:

(always wanted to use that clip)

Anywho, while I can see how some of these examples CAN be seen in a certain light, isn’t it wrong to assume their all trying to “indoctrinate” certain ideas to kids? But then some commenters presume that saying they’re just films is being “naïve.” Plus, technically speaking, all media with any sort of message is “propaganda” or has an agenda of sorts, but we only apply those terms (at least extremists do) to those that spread messages we object to.

And then there’s another part of me going, “WHO THE :twilightblush: CARES!?” :flutterrage:

Even if a film has “propaganda,” isn’t it ultimately OUR decision as consumers to decide if we want to LISTEN to that message or not? Or even view it in such a light? Both “Rio” movies have an environmental angle to them, but I don’t care. All I want is to see the awesome visuals and listen to some music (these films turned me onto Samba).
Also, I know for a fact that you can take anything- ANYTHING- and somehow spin it into some kind of message about something that is entirely unrelated to it. I actually overanalyzed “Too Many Pinkie Pies” and “Magic Duel” to the point where one is pro-abortion (don’t ask) and the other is about substance abuse. Do I immediately assume that this is what the writers were going for and thus putting out an “Agenda”? NO. Because it’s a show about ponies and friendship, geared mainly at children for good life lessons, and unless they explicitly say so in the moral of the story at the end of the episode, that’s not the intention. At all.

Basically no matter what the original intentions of the writers, whether or not you view it that same way is your decision, as is your choice to actually convey and/or agree with the message. And if you’re THAT friggin worried about it reaching your kids, talk to them about what they got out of it. Odds are nothing but entertainment. Certainly the case for me and Disney films.
That’s how I see it anyways.

So, do you think it’s a problem? Are people overreacting to such media? Am I overeacting to all this? (Probably) Discuss below.

And for the record, my conservative parents liked "Cars 2" AND "The Incredibles" AND “The Iron Giant” AND “The Muppets.” So there. :moustache:

From my experience a lot of people are just pussies and get offended and overreact to everything. My parents for example (I'm Indian) don't care if a movie shows a guy being chainsawed in half, but get upset if it shows a kiss. Some white parents are the opposite.

Me? I just try to not get offended and remind myself not to be like these people.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 2