Science! in Equestria 509 members · 542 stories
Comments ( 3 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 3

OK, so my last thread here and its resultant conversations helped produce a chart for how slowly time seems to flow relative to Canterlot. Now, I'm wondering how close I can get a pony without killing him due to the different rates of time within his body. Not that it probably matters for this topic, but the field gets stronger the deeper you go at a hyperbolic rate.

Examples so far:

• Neurological desynchronization.
  • Cardiovascular system. Two possible problems: blood pressure, and blood oxygenation.

The brain and the rest of the nervous system is one of the most finely tuned systems in our design. While it might be possible to adjust to a different time gradient mentally, the scene in the story does not permit more than a second or two at a time. I'm hoping ponies function normally until hopefully within around 10 or 20 feet without acclimation or otherwise just flying in a pattern and closing their eyes when they get too close. If it otherwise gets in the way of the story, this problem may just need to be hoofwaved as a faster nervous system than humans.

The pony heart is about a third of the way from its nose to its tail. The ponies in the scene are physically active, so let's assume 70% of maximum heart rate. If a pony is walking toward the rift, their heart will remain at 70% of its maximum rate, but its head will approach 100%. It should probably be safe to push this to 110% or 120%, since he highest stress part of the circulatory system is within the area surrounding the heart. I'm not an expert, but I could be wrong and the brain could have something go wrong with high blood pressure. I have run some numbers. I'll want to double check, but based on my current model, they should only hit 100% heart rate in their nose when it's around 7 inches from the event horizon.

As I understand, the lungs are controlled by the brain, but since it's a high stress situation, the diaphragm will likely be in overdrive anyway. I'd expect the other issues to pop up before blood deoxygenation.

Edit: T'was fixed.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 3