~The Decent Writers Club~ 1,678 members · 9,340 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1

What's going on, everyone?

I'm hyping my newest story coming out, called "On Target." It's a kind of bittersweet sad/slice of life story that I've been working on for quite a while now. I really enjoyed writing it and I think it's my best work yet.

And I'm gonna give you guys a little glimpse at it!

Snapshot stepped through his front door and took a deep breath, taking in the familiar stale air that had pervaded his home for the past two years. He plopped into the chair at his desk, one of the few furnishings aside from the kitchen that remained relatively dust free, and produced a camera from his saddlebags. Work at his photography studio had been rough again. All the pictures he had taken were blurry, starkly contrasting the clear photographs lining the walls.

On the desk stood an ornate wooden frame with a dust-caked picture. Snapshot reached for the photo, wiping off the lightly dusted frame to reveal a family of earth ponies. A stallion and a mare stood on a balcony overlooking the ocean outside of Fillydelphia. Both ponies had a hoof on a little filly between them. The day he took that picture still hung in his mind as though it had just happened.

He had taken his wife and daughter out on the city after his successful tryout for the Fillydelphia team for Ice Archery competing in the Equestria Games. While he was a photographer professionally, he practiced ice archery as a hobby, gifted by his talent of keen sight. The news had come in a few weeks before his thirtieth birthday. He had taken them out into the city as a celebration for his accomplishment. That had been one of the last happy moments he could think of. His family had been so happy in those pictures. What had happened to them?

Things hadn’t been the same since Ace had left him. He shook his head sullenly as he reached to the far side of the desk, pulled over his current bottle of trotka, and poured himself a shot. He stole another glance at the picture and heaved out a sigh. He took a drink as he got up from his seat and began to pace the hallway leading up to his room. Old photos lined the wall, all previous shots he had taken of his family. Setting the family photo back down on the table carefully, he let out a long sigh.

That family had been from nearly three years ago. How things had changed…

Give it a read and give me some constructive criticism please! I'd like to see how my writing's improved. I do consider this to be my best story yet. Thanks, everyone! :twilightsmile:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1