Quizzical Greystone's friends 48 members · 60 stories
Comments ( 6 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 6
JMac
Group Admin

Some of you may have noticed I have a thing for references and inside jokes. The following is a list of things referred to somewhere in the five stories that star Quiz. Can you find them all? Can you find them before Noon EST, December 6, 2013? If so, then you can win the Quizzical Scavenger Hunt.

1. Power Point
2. The classic Star Trek episode “Piece of the Action.”
3. Master Card
4. A Lesley Gore song
5. Sun Tzu’s “The Art of War”
6. 2001: A Space Odyssey
7. The Big Bang Theory (yes, this is an easy one, but this is also the most popular reference I’ve ever written, and you guys deserve at least one gimme).
8. The classic Star Trek episode “Friday’s Child” (this is a hard one to make up for #7. The quote is broken in half, and the second half does appears two scenes later).
9. The MLP:FIM end credits
10. Howard Carter’s opening of King Tut’s tomb
11. A pointed hint from the writer to the readers on the subject of feedback
12. The “Spell Singer” series of fantasy novels
13. Fan fiction about Derpy and Dr. Whooves
14. A tribute to the disaster novels of Arthur Hailey
15. “Serenity” and Nietzsche both reference in the same scene
16. The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy (specifically, it’s a Zaphod quote)
17. East German judges and their supposed harshness
18. Jerry Maguire
19. The Heaven’s Gate Cult
20. Cooking show host Graham Kerr
21. Strawberry Shortcake’s Berry Bitty Adventures, the Halloween episode
22. A can of Spam and a case of beer
23. Sword of Shannara
24. Warnings from “An American Werewolf In London” and “Gremlins”
25. Maxwell’s four equations and the four forces
26. A pneumonic for the FAA rules for altitude allocation for aircraft, based on their direction of flight
27. The classic Star Trek episode “I, Mudd”
28. The stories about Quizzical Greystone, by JMac
29. Mary Poppins’ means of travel
30. The classic Star Trek episode “The Naked Time”
31. “That’s My Boy” by Bobby Goldsboro
32. Author Ray Bradbury
33. A little know short story by Larry Niven, that isn’t actually about manhole covers
Bonus: Two things are alluded to in all of Quiz’s stories. One is barrel rolls, which Quiz is often threatened with (though little Pound Cake is the only one who has succeeded in inflicting any on her). What is the other thing? Note that this is not included in “They’re Not Touching You!”

This is not a comprehensive list. Oh, no, not at all! Most references found by readers and mentioned in Comments have been skipped (with a few exceptions). Things about food shows, nature presenters, and fandom count more as parody than references so none of that’s here. There is something about this list that will make things easy for you, if you notice the very simple pattern.

If enough readers complain that any of these are too tough hints may be issued. The first to complete the list wins, if no one finishes then the reader with the most correct answers at contest end wins.

PM me with your answers (unless you want to just give them away, in which case you can put them right here in the comments).

Let’s see, what else…oh, prizes. I have to offer you incentives to do this (or my master plan to get you to read my stories again will fail). Gee, I don’t know, what would you guys like? A story reviewed in my blog? Unrestricted rights to use Quiz in a story? You get to design the Big Bad End Boss in the next Eutaw County story? Your OC included in Quiz’s next adventure? All of the above?

How about just a cookie? I don’t suppose the title “Quiz’s Biggest Fan” will be enough?

Leave a Comment with any suggestions.

May the best reader win.

JMac
Group Admin

2121116 This week's hint - 9 of the references are in "Quizzical"; 11 in "Thweet Geniuth"; 7 in "Quizzical Greystone and the Basements of Doom"; 4 are in "Adventures in Cake Sitting"; and 2 are in "They're Not Touching You!"

JMac
Group Admin

Your hint this week - #8 is in chapter seven of Quizzical.

JMac
Group Admin

A hint because the last one was late - #6 is difficult because I only used half of the iconic quote. Originally I'd planned to add the li e "Really, it is quite full of them." But I dropped it.

And another hint to celebrate the season 4 premier - #23 is in narration, and concerns a character who reads too many fantasy novels.

JMac
Group Admin

Clues - #8 Is a Sweetie Belle quote (technically, two Sweetie Belle quotes). #16 is a Merry Fairweather quote. #18 is a Princess Luna quote.

JMac
Group Admin

Hints - #4 is a chapter title. #14 is an entire chapter. There will be no more hints. The answers will be up.Friday night.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 6