Medieval Bronies 29 members · 11 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1

I thought I should explain why I dare to offer my novel 'The 800 Year Promise' to your collection, since the premise is... very odd indeed. It is a science fiction story, to be sure, but it also contains the best Chaucerian work I have ever done in my life. For a very small example:

she was a fairye hors, white and faire.
And she was cleped the princesse Celestea.
And Anglish she spak ful faire and fetisly
Entuned in hir nose ful semely.
But for to speken of hir conscience,
She was so charitable and so pitous,
And al was conscience, and tendre herte.

But nathelees, whil I have tyme and space,
Me thynketh it acordaunt to resoun
To telle yow al of my wonder time
With the white hors princesse.
Greet Celestea, ful faire of al wit and al goodnesse,
Of all of our aventures, so as it appeared to me.
and thus will I first begin.

Yes, this is authentic Middle English, circa 1343. It is not arbitrary, nor is it false in any degree. I had a trick, which I will explain shortly.

The novel I submitted is odd in that it is a hard science fiction tale, part of a large number of books set within its universe, which is entirely based on the very first season of My Little Pony, before Faust left. Simply put, Equestria is fairly paradisaical, compared to what the seasons since have made of it.

The tale is science fiction because it takes place within a future where an overpopulated and rapidly dying earth has experienced the intrusion of a hypersphere expanding out of the north pacific. This expansion is nothing less than a pocket universe, absorbing the world, and it is Equestria. It is already past doomsday, the end of the world through Venusification, and now comes a collision with an alien universe. But there is a lifeboat aspect to this which is offered: emigration to Equestria. There is also a price for salvation: the alien physics of the intruding cosmos do not permit terrestrial life, so... humanity can choose transformation into pony form and Equestrian matter, or... it can die with the already perishing world.

The 800 Year Promise is the novel that explains why the pocket universe of Equestria is bothering to save humanity at all.

And the reason involves a traveling minstrel named Willelmus Learmount, who lived sometime in the 1300's. Hence the Middle English.

The novel revolves around an effort to translate his manuscript, which is presented both in original form, and in a form which maintains the original voice while using conventional writing and spelling.

You may wonder how I did it. The answer is partly a very great deal of study, and a bit of a cheat.

The cheating part is that I made extensive use of online collections of Chaucer's work, which I combed through meticulously to find individual lines, sentences or parts of sentences, that precisely and exactly conformed to the story I wanted to tell. Thus every line of Middle English is completely authentic, because it was, in fact, written by Chaucer himself. Effectively, I cherry-picked a new story out of the sentences he already constructed. It took, as you can imagine, forever. Arguably, it might have been easier to simply become an expert on Middle English within the same time spent. My foolishness, perhaps.

But I think all the effort was worth it, which is why I am sharing it here.

Although the story universe is strange, it is well explained within the work, so no previous knowledge of the setting is needed to enjoy or comprehend the tale. I merely wanted to explain why a science fiction work is here at all.

It is because: Chaucer.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1