The Known World 327 members · 82 stories
Comments ( 13 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 13
Prince_Staghorn
Group Admin

For lack of a better description, in spring, pegasi get "bird-brained".

Here we observe the young pegasi in spring time, compelled by instincts to fluff up their feathers and chests to show off their plumage in the traditional display to attract possible mates. Seeking to the perfect spots to display themselves...

...to the great dismay of any owners of bird baths.

The pegasi stallions of course have a number of courtship rituals used to attract potential partners, as shown above. Some stallions also get rather territorial. Usually they only fluff up their wings and chest to appear bigger than they are and try to simply intimidate any foes they meet. Others might act more aggressive than that, so be careful.

While the pegasus stallions are fighting unstoppable wingboners and irresistible urges to claim random birdbaths as their territory to pick up chicks, the mares have a seasonal nesting instinct going on, making nests at random places from random materials. Just because nature.

While it is traditionally the stallion pegasus who takes the initiative and puts on a show to impress any potential mates during the spring where instincts are at the highest, a mare with a certain suitor in mind, who has yet to make a move, might decide to break tradition and take initiative to show the stallion that she could very well be interested if he tried his luck. Like the stallion she can put on a show with certain movements, or other such subtle hints like displaying her plumage and wing span to prove herself to be a fit and healthy mate.

Remember, the poor things can't help the fact that they've thrown dignity out the window, so show some tolerance until this madness is over. Thank you.

hahahahahahahahahaha that's hilarious
i was laughing for a solid minute after reading this

Prince_Staghorn
Group Admin

6354756 More or less!

Ah, the birdhorse meme’s is a real thing now. Oh, while pegasi take after various waterfowl, alicorns because of their pegasus blood takes on swan-like qualities, often in a literal case with Celestia.

6355085 Also, that face. is it something that real life stallions do?

Prince_Staghorn
Group Admin

6355150 apparently yes

The flehmen response, also called the flehmen position, flehmen reaction, flehming, or flehmening, is a behavior in which an animal curls back its upper lip exposing its front teeth, inhales with the nostrils usually closed and then often holds this position for several seconds. It may be performed over a site or substance of particular interest to the animal, or may be performed with the neck stretched and the head held high in the air.

Flehmen is performed by a wide range of mammals including ungulates and felids. The behaviour facilitates the transfer of pheromones and other scents into the vomeronasal organ (VNO, or Jacobson's organ) located above the roof of the mouth via a duct which exits just behind the front teeth of the animal.

Male individuals commonly use the flehmen response as an olfactory mechanism for identifying the reproductive state of females of the same species based on pheromones in the female's urine or genitals.

Basically it's a response to smelling mares in heat.

6355153 Huh. I learn something new everyday.

Prince_Staghorn
Group Admin

6355178 I own two horses, and i didn't know this.

then again they're both males.

and castrated

6355195 You own geldings? It sounds like you live in a ranch or something.

Prince_Staghorn
Group Admin

6355680 No, they're American Shetlands

6355812 You prolly know horses more than I do, so I’ll take your word for it.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 13