The Known World 327 members · 84 stories
Comments ( 9 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 9
Prince_Staghorn
Group Admin

Located in the area of Northern Equus known as the "Crystal Waste"- a large border area between the Crystal Mountains and the Aquila Mountains, the Midnight Kingdom is a secular and sheltered country.

The country is very tribe-like in orientation (in which there are many different tribes in the same country), however their government works somewhat like an oligarchy:

There is a “council” of sorts (referred to as the Council of the Holds) that is composed of the leader and most trusted shaman/elder/representative of each individual “Hold” in the Midnight Kingdom (there are 15 holds in total). Each hold is under the rule of the Alpha (basically a king/queen/president) of the Kingdom, who is referred to as the “High Chief” of the country. Political experience isn’t necessarily needed to try to become the High Chief, however it is preferred by those in the seats of the council.

The country is demographically simple, consisting of various Centaur species, Raptorans, and Hobgoblins, though equine and griffin communities do exist on the mountain slopes.

The Sagittarius tend to be the elite of their societies, followed closely by the warrior-philosopher Raptorans. The Hobgoblins make the bottom rung of society, acting as serfs and farmers

The current High Chief of the country, a raptoran female named Haydon, is the step-mother of Tirek, biological mother of Scorpan, and the wife of the late King Vorak. "Queen" Haydon is a kind ruler, and the first ruler of the Midnight Kingdom to actually open relations with Equestria, North Griffonia, Concordia, and- most recently- the Crystal Empire.

Huh... never thought Scorpan's species would be the Raptorians. I always thought they would be called Devil Apes or Flying Monkeys or something (that or they were just some weird variety of daemon, hence explaining their ability to breed with Tirek's centaur-like species).

Personally, I always imagined the Raptorians as a species of creature native to the Frozen North who's diet originally consisted of the Crystal Berries of the Crystal Empire. However, they soon became more feral and dangerous soon after the Crystal Empire (along with their primary food source) disappeared several millenia ago. Soon after said disappearance, it was discovered that venom excreted from their talons had the ability to turn flesh into a glass-like substance that was apparently edible to the now-starving creatures (similar to the way a Balaur's venomous saliva transforms organic matter into edible gemstones). This was never discovered before because it apparently didn't work on the Crystal Ponies and Sheep of the lost empire due to their semi-crystaline biology.

Prince_Staghorn
Group Admin

4366524 not Raptorians, Raptorans. Raptorians are flying relatives of the diamond dogs

It says online that Scorpan is a gargoyle. Not sure how that affects this.

Prince_Staghorn
Group Admin

4733592 is that a canonical source?

4733604 I guess that depends on how official mlp wikia is.

Prince_Staghorn
Group Admin

4733615 Semi depending on the page, they probably called him a gargoyle for lack of a better term

4733644 well I don't really think centaur when I look at Tirek. More like a four legged minotaur.

Prince_Staghorn
Group Admin

4733648 when you get to Sapient Monkeys, you'll see what I did on that topic

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 9