Film Lovers 38 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 15 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 15

Here's a question. What is your favorite film trilogy? For reasons of money a successful film usually gets made into a franchise, so which one holds up the best for you?
Bonus question, which trilogy is the best based on every film in it. For example, if you like "Back to the Future" but think the second one kinda sucked, you can't pick it. Every film has to be good (in your opinion.)

4297016 The Lord of the Rings and the Toy Story trilogy

4297016 I'd have to say that the best triology would have to be a tie between the original Star Wars Triology (Episodes IV through VI), Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight Triology (largely due to "The Dark Knight" and "Dark Knight Rises", although "Batman Begins" is a good start), and the first three Indiana Jones movies ("Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" should've never been made, unless it was specifically aiming at being a reboot of the franchise).

So Lord of the Rings number 1 overall, but Toy Story having the most consistently great films?

score, I figured that those three would be topping a lot of lists. Got any for the most consistently great, where every movie was good?

4297091 No, they're equal in my eyes.

It's that they're both incredibly put together, but have vastly different tones/styles.

As for Star Wars, the original trilogy is pretty damn solid, but from what I remember, return of the jedi had jabba (who squicks me out), and the ewoks.

4297091 The original Star Wars triology was pretty solid throughout. There weren't many problems plauging Return of The Jedi, and the few that were there aren't really significant (outside of perhaps Lelia's character, but she got to shine in A New Hope and even parts of The Empire Strikes Back). The Toy Story triology was perfect, it took the time to grow up with its audience, and even now the original Toy Story's animation holds u[ very well (they probably chose toys specifically because of how plastic looking CGI was back then).

ok, 3 votes for toy story being the perfect trilogy (because it pretty much is).

but now rant inbound!!!!!!
I love Star Wars.
I love Empire
I pretty much hate Return of the Jedi.
In terms of having the crappiest ending to the greatest trilogy I think 'Return' is only outdone by the last 10 minutes of Mass Effect 3.
just about everything in Return of the Jedi's ending makes no sense to me at all. The beginning with jabba is pretty sweet. the setup for blowing up the Death Star again is pretty ok. but when the climax finally gets going, it goes off the rails.

the problem is that I watch movies like a computer program, and if anything dosn't make a lot of sense, I hate it. so for the whole end of the movie I'm like "dude, stormtroopers should easily be able to kill ewoks, they have blasters and AT-ST's and are twice their size!" or "A friggin future walker thing should not be getting destroyed by having trees hit it. we run over trees in tanks no issue." or "Wheres that AT-AT from earlier. it needs to come over here because the rebels wouldn't be able to do jack to it." or " why does the super star destroyer not have enough armor on the bridge to withstand a super tiny fighter crashing into it. and why dosn't it have more than one bridge. It's huge! one little ship crashing into it should not cause it to lose control and crash." or "geez, they should put some pipes in this giant easy to fly through tunnel that goes straight to the reactor. make it harder to just fly right through it."

if it wasn't for all the throne room stuff, I would find it irredeemable..
Ok rant over.

4297016 My favourite is Tim Burton's duology Batman 89 and Batman Returns

Not a trilogy. Just a pair of films. unless you really want to add in "Batman Forever" and "Batman and Robin" into the mix, but you don't.
Trilogy, man! Whats your favorite Trilogy!

4297382 That doesn't count as a triology. A triology has to consist of at least three movies. For "Batman Forever" Warner Brothers booted Tim Burton out of the director seat (though he stayed on as excutive producer) and replaced him with Joel Schumacher. Michael Keaton quit the role of Batman/Bruce Wayne as a result of the more family friendly tone and Val Kailmer was brought in to replace him. Burton wasn't around at all for "Batman and Robin", and perhaps the only improvement over "Batman Forever" was George Clooney replacing Val Kailmer for the lead role. And as we all know, "Batman and Robin" bombed big time.

4297421 Well two movies does count as a saga and I don't recognise the Schumacher movies as proper continuations for Burton's movies since they felt more like reboots. I like the original Evil Dead trilogy

You know what, heres a question. Is the original "evil dead" trilogy really a trilogy? I think this is actually a legit question.
Evil Dead II: Dead by Dawn has the same setup as the first Evil Dead, and some of the same characters (Ash) but kinda goes along like the first movie never happened. It seems like a reboot, or like Sam Raimi was saying "This is what the movie would have been like if I actually had a budget!"
So is that a trilogy?

4297466 What about Sam Raimi's Spiderman trilogy which I like

I can dig that. didn't really like the third one, but I can dig that.
I seem to think that you like Tim Burton (a lot) and Sam Raimi

4297519 Well both Burton and Raimi are awesome

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 15