Zelda Crossovers 736 members · 122 stories
Comments ( 14 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 14

For a while, I've had an idea to retell The Wind Waker with My Little Pony characters. "Ponified" is in scare quotes because they're not all ponies. I have two rules:

• I can only use canon characters.
  • Said characters must stay true to their own personalities, instead of being given the personalities of their counterparts.

My original idea for this was that Skystar was Tetra, Novo was Daphnes, and Ganondorf's counterpart wanted the complete Pearl of Transformation; in a reversal of the movie, the seaponies became hippogriffs to escape him. Problem is, I don't think Skystar would fit Tetra's role very well, and I couldn't think of canon hippogriffs who could be Link and Aryll. Maybe Terramar and Silverstream, but I don't want to make her a damsel in distress.

My second idea was making the Hylians' counterparts ponies, but I had an even harder time thinking of who would be who. Someone suggested making Applejack Link, but I don't know how Big Mac would fit into this. Plus, I find people using ponies as a human surrogate species boring.

EDIT: I just had an idea! Rainbow Dash could be Tetra.

Either way, I think the Ritos' counterparts should be dragons because they live on a volcano called Dragon Roost Island and don't grow wings until maturity. I know the obvious choice would be to make them hippogriffs and have zoras be seaponies, but that also seems too boring.

What do you think?

Sounds like a very interesting idea that could turn into a great story with proper care.
I say go for it. :twilightsmile:

That's the problem. I can't go for it yet because I haven't decided on the specifics.

I'm not sure you'll ever find quite what you need, since as far as I know none of the MLP characters will match with Wind Waker characters. You're going to have to make substitutions if you want to use only canon characters, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, because I doubt you simply want to do a straight re-write of Wind Waker. The alternative of course is making up your own characters, or ponifying Wind Waker characters, if you need something in a specific way.

Take your time. Assign characters to roles, ask yourself how they would react to different Wind Waker events. It's not going to be exactly the same, which is perfectly fine, this is a crossover. At the end, ask yourself if the end result is something you think you can write, that you WANT to write.

Rainbow would make a good Tetra, the two are close in temperament and personality. Remember though that this makes Rainbow Dash Princess Zelda as well. Which should still work, or you can make it work I think. I am thinking writing it like Rainbow being forced by Rarity to be girly.

Ritos could be hippogriffs or dragons, either would work well, though what's your plan for Valoo? Still a dragon? Having them be dragons will affect how they see Valoo- is he like someone's dad or ancestor, or a god to be worshiped?

Pretty sure there aren't any zora in Wind Waker....

Rainbow would make a good Tetra, the two are close in temperament and personality. Remember though that this makes Rainbow Dash Princess Zelda as well. Which should still work, or you can make it work I think. I am thinking writing it like Rainbow being forced by Rarity to be girly.

Yeah, I was thinking that could be a conflict.

I was thinking that Torch could be Valoo either way.

Do you have a pre-reader lined up? Or is this here the forum you intend to filter your ideas through?

Well, start posting stuff then. Who's going to be Link, the main POV? Ganon? Villagers on the various islands? Deku tree? etc.

My idea for a villain would either be the Storm King or Sombra, depending on which species replaces Hylians.

So who's replacing hylians?

Either ponies or hippogriffs. Also, please can you tag me when you reply to my comments?

Do you know enough hippogriffs to make the characters?

C'mon. You're using this thread to sound out your ideas. Lay them out. All of them.

That is a very good point. Another idea I had is that over the generations, some of the races had interbred with each other, such as ponies, hippogriffs, and griffons, so there were very few non-hybrids left, thus explaining why I could have ponies and hippogriffs filling in for Hylians.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 14