The Marvel/DC Co-Fan Club 718 members · 565 stories
Comments ( 17 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 17
Avenging-Hobbits
Group Admin

First, let's see Daredevil single handedly show why the New 52's idea of every hero needing a tragic backstory is flawed:

"Don't you ever say that to me, ever again! That is a repellent statement. It's a vomitous insult to every cop, every fireman, every soldier who steps up to fight for those who can't! I am sorry for your loss, but if you genuinely believe that only the death of a loved one can motivate a human being to take up a cause...then get your pathetic, cynical ass out of my way so I can do my job!"

- Daredevil, in Daredevil No. 11, written by Mark Waid.

And now Captain America sums up why America is awesome in one incredibly awesome monologue:

"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world - "No, you move.""

- Captain America, Civil War: The Amazing Spider-Man, written by J. Michael Straczynski

Any more incredibly awesome superhero quotes that can apply to daily life?

Hmmm I vaguely remember this issue. Was it from an oldie or was it from a current story arc called the omega effect? :rainbowhuh:

Avenging-Hobbits
Group Admin

2010937 The Daredevil one?

I found it on TV Tropes:twilightblush:

It's a load of bull to think of friendship and romance of being different. They're not. They're just variations of the same love. Variations of the desire to be close.

-Jason Todd

It is as I said. Those closest will suffer the most. How long do you think you can continue to live and thrive in the inferno of rage that burns in your heart? They love you-with their hearts wide open... and yet all you allow in return is the hollow actions of a man going through the motions.

-Ducra, Red Hood and the Outlaws, issue 18

Avenging-Hobbits
Group Admin

Momory's so treacherous. One moment you're lost in a carnival of delights, with poignant childhood aromas, the flashing neon of puberty, all that sentimental candy-floss...

The next, it leads you somewhere you don't want to go...

...somewhere dark and cold, filled with the damp, ambiguous shapes of things you'd hoped were forgotten.

Memories can be vile, repulsive little brutes. Like children, I suppose. Haha.

But can we live without them? Memories are what our reason is based upon. If we can't face them, we deny reason itself!

Although, why not? We aren't contractually tied down to rationality!

There is no sanity clause!

So when you find yourself locked onto an unpleasant train of thought, heading for the places in your past where the screaming is unbearable, remember there's always madness.

Madness is the emergency exit...

You can just step outside, and close the door on all those dreadful things that happened. You can lock them away...

Forever.

- The Joker, The Killing Joke, by Alan Moore.

2010996 Meh. I'm to tired of this back and forth to go on tonight. I already went into the Superman's armor thing with Lunar for about an hour. Right now, I'll just let you take this one.

Not like debating about the new 52 has gained me anything here anyway :trixieshiftleft:

Avenging-Hobbits
Group Admin

2011018 Because debating the New 52 is like trying to say that The Room is a legitimate drama film. Everyone just kinda looks at you, raises an eyebrow, and then politely asks you to shut up.

Don't worry, I have the same feeling every time I say something negative about Agents of SHIELD or AppleDash.

There are some battles not worth fighting. And the defense of the New 52 is one such battle. Same goes for Superior Spider-Man, One More Day and 90% of the Ultimates Universe in the case of Marvel.

2011031 Oh no. I'll still defend the new 52 and carry it's banner proudly, even knowing it's faults for one simple reason

I would not be near the comic fan I would be without it. I was one of the new readers DC attracted.

See, when you lambaste the new 52, it doesn't make me think 'it's not worth it' or 'it really is garbage', it just makes me sad or pissed. When I do get to feeling the former, I just turn it into the latter and wait for a good time to use said latter.

It's like a family reunion, when you don't have a ride home and you're stuck listening to God awful innuendos from your extended family. You want to be polite because their blood, but if given the chance, you'd gladly show them how annoying their chatter is or how they got the story wrong.

But you don't, because you're in polite company and it would make you look bad. You want to be the bigger person and just let them run out of breath. Then, when you get to go home, you just sleep it off like a bad hangover, hoping you don't start mumbling counter arguments in your sleep, because, God forbid, you actually let loose with that opinion, seeing as how you want to be the bigger person and all.

Like how you shake up a soda until it explodes :ajbemused:

Because, in the end, all your complaining has done is earn you some 'yes, quites' and a couple 'indeeds', with the one guy that disagrees fervently with your opinion, constantly stated as it is, not speaking up because then he gets kicked out of the club for venting his opinion in full, always holding it back unless legitimately provoked into defending something he actually likes.

Again, the new 52 is far from perfect, but it's mine. It's my first continuity I ever truly delved myself into and it made me want to go back into the DCAU.

It's mine and I love the new 52 like a PC user loves his HP and gets pissed the same when a Mac user shows up and starts insulting his computer or how a Trekkie feels when a Star Wars fan starts bashing his guilty pleasure.

Or a brony when cornered about being a brony. :trixieshiftright:

That was more than I intended to type, but I stand by it, fully knowing the consequences.

2011018>>2011031 Umm AH that's a little mean spirited you, me and a lot of others here have been burned by the reboot and they are more then a few aspects of it I despise but if Scarlet has found the good ones anf if there are parts of it he enjoys than shouldn't we be digging up those stories too? Worse comes to worse and we don't like them Can we atleast Agree to Disagree?

As for My favorite quote I am a sucker for the classics Spiderman's "With great power comes many bitches great responsibility." and all it's variations I find very inspirational. And yes I like Superhero Movie.:twistnerd: So Sue me.

Avenging-Hobbits
Group Admin

2011077 But the key crux of the problem here is that you do not simply state your affinity towards the New 52 in a nice, non-confrontational manner.

Instead, you wait until a post is made talking about either a Marvel slip up, or a New 52 slip up, and then use it as an excuse to act in a disrespectful and contentious manner.

You don't let the sleeping dog lie, you don't allow others to express their distaste of the New 52, without suddenly raising cane and causing a never ending comment fight that simply hopes from thread to thread, never getting resolved at all.

That's why everyone has now built up an intolerance of you. Because you don't let it die.

We know you like the New 52. You know that the rest of us think it's the worst thing to happen to comics since One More Day.

Why do you keep picking a fight where there is no fight? You are constantly set in perpetual troll face mode, so that even when you are sincere, and really don't want to start a fight, everyone thinks you are starting a fight.

See what I'm saying?

Avenging-Hobbits
Group Admin

2011083 But as I responded, Mr. Scarecrow has no off-switch.:ajbemused:

But the key crux of the problem here is that you do not simply state your affinity towards the New 52 in a nice, non-confrontational manner.

I have before. I've even recommended some of the best titles to you. You simply brushed it aside, fully admitting that you haven't even tried it for yourself. See, I wouldn't mind your commentary on it so much if you actually tried it for yourself instead of just listening to Linkara.

But, well :trixieshiftleft:

You didn't, and I can't stand that because I respect you and your writing skills to much to expect anything less than an informed opinion.

You are constantly set in perpetual troll face mode

Not a troll, just very defensive and very, very blunt when I'm running the defensive. And you kind of directly insulted it this time around by comparing it to The Room, so...

Yeah :applejackunsure:

Honestly, the reason I went off so much this time is because it's built up for a while. All the other times bringing up the fails of Marvel, it was just retaliatory. I symptom of what I wanted to say, but didn't. I took each and every backhanded comment as an attack, so I had to respond in kind.

I've also been better lately, it's just I hear so much crap from you guys about it I just can't. Let it. Go. :ajbemused:

I dunno. Maybe we just need one thread and day to just hash it all out and get it out of our system. No regrets, just a whole lotta arguing and stuff like that. We can get it out of our system and just let it drop right there. :applejackunsure:

Avenging-Hobbits
Group Admin

2011141 Maybe....that might be a good idea.

The 'Gripe about how much Marvel and DC are going down the tubes thread".

But also, dude, you've got to develop a thicker skin. I am a Born-Again, Conservative Biblical literalist Christian who is on Tumblr, possibly the most anti-Christian, anti-Conservative website on the planet. And you know what? I LOVE IT. You probably wonder how I withstand all the anti-Christian hate and general stupidity of the website. Simple. I ignore it. I might get personally offended by certain things that are special bazerk buttons for me, but asides from those one or two things, I just ignore it, keep walking and don't go and bitch about it in the person's ask box or something. If a blog continues to post stuff that makes me angry, I simply unfollow it and it's out of my life.

You've got to learn that this is the internet. Every fight is no-holds barred, and brutal. You can't feel personally offended every time someone disses the New 52.

Also, on the topic of never being able to read a New 52 comic, it's the simple fact that I have much better things to do with my time instead of forcing myself to read something I already know is just overwhelmingly occupied by everything I hate. I know that I will just end up feeling angry, frustrated and betrayed by a universe that I thought would be the universe I'd come to love, even if it was through just the animation and reading lots of wiki articles and watching lots of Linkara. I still feel I'm just as much as a fan of anybody else, and shouldn't have to force myself to do something I do not want to do.

If Flashpoint Paradox (which I experienced first hand) was any indication for the status quo of the New 52, then I know for sure it's not for me.

You've got to learn that this is the internet. Every fight is no-holds barred, and brutal. You can't feel personally offended every time someone disses the New 52.

I've, ah... only had unlimited access to the internet for the last year or so, since I got my laptop... :trixieshiftleft:

If Flashpoint Paradox (which I experienced first hand) was any indication for the status quo of the New 52, then I know for sure it's not for me.

Under. No. Circumstance.

The status quo is almost nothing like the FPP. It's a little darker, yeah, and I'm pretty sure Lobdell was sent by Marvel to sabotage DC's Superman (we now 3 other books with him, Superman Unchained is awesome, as is the whole first volume of Action Comics, the Men of Steel, Teen Titans and Red Hood, but it's not nearly that Terminator esque. Seriously, though, don't read Lobdell's run on Superman. It's stupid. Or the Titans. Or Red Hood, although he left that book after #18.

I'm actually 75% sure that it's the Jason Todd fan girls that kept that comic alive with his terrible writing at the helm. If you read Red Hood, start at #18 or #19. Otherwise, reading it will feel like a chore with mountains of internal dialogue. Characterization flat out sucks before then.

But, if by chance, you were to give anything from the new 52 a try, then I would recommend the normal Justice League. It really hits its stride by volume 2, touching on a lot of the emotional aspects of the team. Batman/Superman is also fantastic, with interesting art work and writer that makes you crave the next issue.

Also, anything by Geoff Johns. He doesn't do dark, at least not that I've really seen outside of blackest night. Green Lantern is also good if you just want something untouched by the new 52, so there's also that.

Anything else, I'd just recommend you ease yourself into since a lot has changed since 2010. Remember, Flashpoint Paradox is not the status quo. It's still the exception to the rule, by far.

First volume of Aquaman is a little weak, though, compared to Wonder Woman and a few others. Characterization is good enough, but he's not pit against a really good villain for a while. I was left feeling disappointed by the lack of wanting more of the first volume, although I haven't read the second, so there is that.

That opened up a whole, freaking can of worms of opportunity and hope. Gave me something to try prove wrong specifically. Thanks for that :scootangel:

Avenging-Hobbits
Group Admin

2011205 I'll see what I can do.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 17