FIM Fiction Interviews 61 members · 47 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1

Hesitant Brony: The Abyss, first let me butter you up by saying you look lovely today and I am a big fan of your work. I've favorited more than one of your stories and I am very picky about stories I favorite. I'd like to thank you for being the first to agree to this little interview of mine. So "The Abyss", first question: how are you today?

The Abyss: Good.

Hesitant Brony: Wonderful, how that the ice is broken, let's move on to the real questions. How'd you come up with your pen name?

The Abyss: My name came from the second half of my Xbox Live Gamertag. Since everyone on there called me Abyss, the name sort of stuck with me, so when I saw that nobody had taken it here on Fimfiction, that's what I chose.

Hesitant Brony: How did you get into My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic?

The Abyss: Two of my friends and I were playing Battlefield 3 a couple years ago and were making all sorts of my little pony references, references I had no idea about. When I asked, they made me promise not to laugh, and when I told them I wouldn't, they told me that they watch the show My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.
I laughed.
I had the microphone muted for that part though. I let it go for about a month, and one day, when I was bored, I remembered what they said. "Watch it with an open mind and throw out any ideas that you may have about the show. Trust us, it's good." So I did exactly that, and I had finished all of Season 1 in half a week.

Hesitant Brony: Thank you. I always enjoy hearing introduction stories, but this was the first I heard that involved Battlefield 3. I think we can move onto questions on your work. "I'll Always be Here for you" is easily your most popular and most liked story. Was there anything that inspired you to write this story?

The Abyss: To be honest, I used to have a friend that suffered from Fetal Alcohol Syndrome. To keep a long story short, his mom drank heavily while pregnant so much so that he was born with lots of problems, problems that made him have to take lots of differing medications that resulted in huge mood swings.

Hesitant Brony: Did you expect "I'll Always Be Here for you" to become as popular as it did when first started writing it?

The Abyss: Actually no. Not many know this, but the story was actually a one shot of 2.4k words. Not much has changed in the actual chapter. When I had published it, I had not expected it to blow up so huge, figuring that it was just another sad Scootaloo fic amongst the hundreds already out there. After a few weeks, I decided to continue it, so while I wrote the next couple of chapters, I took a small break for two months as I outlined the entire story from start to finish. When I was finished, the outline itself had nearly 12k words.

Hesitant Brony: Wow, that's impressive. Speaking of outlines, how far do you plan a story ahead before you start writing it?

The Abyss: I plan my stories all the way out from start to finish, but since most of my works are small one shots, planning only takes a few days, maybe a week.

Hesitant Brony: We are adults here, mind if I ask about the abundance of clopfics? Do you write those for kicks or just as practice for writing?

The Abyss: Both.

Hesitant Brony: How would you explain your writing style in one sentence?

The Abyss: In one sentence? Hmm... Read the book Eragon and you'll find your answer.

Hesitant Brony: For those people who haven't gone to your page, what is your favorite ship and why?

The Abyss: My favorite ship is TwiDash by a longshot, mainly because they just go so damn well together. Words cannot explain how right they are together.

Hesitant Brony: Any words of advice for aspiring authors out there?

The Abyss: Yes. Read as many well-written fan fictions and books, newspapers, and magazines as you can to see how things should be written, for if you don't know how something should look and sound, then how are you ever going to get it right? Also, analyze and study the living hell out of the writing guide that Fimfiction offers completely for free under the FAQ tab.

Hesitant Brony: Well, those are all the questions I have for tonight. Thank you again for your time. To anyone reading these: please show your support for this amazing author by following him for updates on his latest stories and blogs here. Thank you all and have a nice day.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1