Collegia Arcana 9 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 149 )
  • Viewing 51 - 100 of 149

I wonder if the young children learning High Equestrian got an alphabet song.

The song that probably sounds like nightmares?

Well just looking at these letters it would have interesting to say the least.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

There we are, the "y" rune is in place. Now, there are a few rules attached to the language. Firstly, the diacritics must be used properly. The symbols must be placed above or below the rune depending on the sound desired. There is no acceptable room for error. Also, the language is not necessarily magical in nature, but the writers tended to take extra precautions just in case. This means that the language can, at times, be a bit flowery and vague. For example, it was considered dangerous to name Celestia in the old texts, so she was often referred to by several titles, like "Radiant Noon", "Paragon of Light", and others. The same courtesy was afforded Luna, when she was still in power. You will often see her referred to as "The Mistress of Shadows" or "The Distant Moon".

Stone Knight
Group Admin

1248336 Is this where they collected so many titles from? I can't count the number of different ways I've seen them referred to...

Everybody has to have hobby.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

It is considered a form of flattery now, but back in the days of the Celestial Empire, the threat of accidental discharge was very real.

I like to think there is a secret guild of heralds that meet annually who's only job is to make up more titles for their respective rulers.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Fun fact, Twilight's getting her own soon.

1248354 I suppose the threat of accidental solar flares from paper could be a problem... Or at least regular fire or explosions.

1248353 IIt's interesting, the kinds of hobbies that somepony might collect... I've seen a lot of names, titles, and even interesting swears!

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Hmm. You know what? Who here wants to take a departure from the runes? It's essentially the same as what you've learned so far, just a bit more strict. I didn't even have a homework assignment planned. Instead, who wants to hear more about the Celestial Empire? I know your knowledge of Equestrian History is a bit lacking.

"So last week herald #25647 won the coin toss for Celestia to have the better title..."

I'd like to see the job auditions.

For your first test please read out this shopping list without drawing breath.

That sounds wonderful to me.

That would be nice as this is basically the same except stricter.
Like HTML and XML!

1248384 I'd love to hear more!

That seems like a great idea for an excuse. "Professor, I need an extension on my due date, I accidentally blew up my dog with my homework."

Fine by me professor.

Did you ever belong to a particular order of paladins?

1248399 Poor dog! Oh, right excuse. Or maybe just "I burned my entire desk down"?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

A lesser Order. One kept in service to Lady Everstar. We were known as the Temple Guard.

You know that two hundered thousand word essay due to tomorrow sir? Mine imploded at the one hundered and eighty thousand mark.

What did you do?

I misspelled "Celestia".

How long ago did the Everfree rebellion end?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Let us start with the very beginning. The Proto-Equestrian era was the earliest recorded era of Equestrian civilization. Ponies tended to roam in packs of roughly one hundred, generally of the same race as one another. They used crude tools and wielded purely Aetheric magic, which was unreliable and tricky at the best of times. They roamed the lands up past Canterlot, stretching past the mountains separating modern Equestria from the Minotaur Khanate. Archaeological evidence suggests it was much warmer then, and food was relatively plentiful.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

More along the lines of "Marketplace leveled because of misspelled sign".

Suddenly Twilight correcting people's sign spelling abilities makes a lot more sense.

1248444 Oh, wow. Mishaps weren't small, huh?

And only one hundred makes for a pretty small breeding pool... I hope there were frequent gatherings.

I guess they had to do who they had to do...

Stone Knight
Group Admin

In good time. Now, after this era, which was not well-documented at all, we have the Pre-Equestrian Era, which lasted for nearly a thousand years by what records remain. The first writing systems were developed at this time, but they are not in use today. The first mentions of domesticated animals were made, such as cats and dogs. An uneasy caste system was put into place, which existed until the first Windigo incursion. This event is considered to be the first evidence of direct interference by Discord. Scouting parties discovered the land now known as Equestria, and the trials and tribulations they endured have become the modern-day Hearth's Warming Eve Carols.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

There is evidence of frequent trade between tribes, which may have led to the forming of the Three Kingdoms.

As nomads, what did they with and for?

If Discord was mussing about with Windigos, what were Celestia and Luna doing?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

After this migration south, we find ourselves in the Equestrian Era. A crude democracy was set in place, comprised of two representatives, one male and one female, from each of the tribes. The first major "city" was constructed in the vicinity of the Everfree Forest. This is considered to be one of the best examples of Harmony in early Equestrian history. This period lasted roughly three hundred years, and ended with the manifestation of Discord and second Windigo Incursion. The Changelings have confirmed through their hive-memory that they were present for those battles as well, fighting on Discord's side along with several of the Great Dragons.

It took the combined efforts of the elected Council working together to hold him off. It is widely believed that their efforts manifested as the Power of Harmony, and shortly after this Celestia and Luna arrived. With their help, and the help of the Elements, Discord was sealed away and his lieutenants were either killed or scattered. Afterwards, the benevolent rule of the Sisters was accepted, and a Diarchy was set into place.

1248533 So... does this mean Discord made the changelings? For that matter, why would dragons fight alongside him?

Can we have an elaboration on this democracy?

Were these six electives put in through popular vote by every one, or was it merely the votes of a few?

Also if they all agree did they technically have the power of an absolute monarch?

You'd apply reasoning to Discord?

Because ponies are crunchy and good with ketchup. Or so I've heard.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Fear, most likely. And they were less...restrained then. Some still are more or less bestial. And yes, Discord did make the Changelings. The process is unknown, but the First Queen, Obsidia, was made by Discord himself.

1248549 I know, it's kinda foolish, but one would think even he'd have some kind of reason.

1248552 Ew. A favorite saying of my mother's, by the way, and I actually do like it.

1248556 Makes sense... I guess the Changelings, er, changed over time?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

And we move into the last of the early eras, the Post-Equestrian Era. This period lasted for about one hundred years or so, short enough that children were born in one era and died in the next. In this era, pony society became more like what we know it to be today. The weather was finally regulated reliably, allowing for multiple harvests in a season. Seasons themselves became regulated in Equestrian lands, moving in predictable cycles. And the unicorns relinquished control of the sun and moon, filling the niche roles of artisans and administrators.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

The votes themselves were collected from the entire population, but we have no record of what method was used. Then the council made the decisions, and their word was law.

Yeah, I know.

But you have to admit usually the reasons and motivation behind what he does seems to come down to: Because it could be fun.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

The Changelings claim that they were never Discord's favored creations. He made them feed on love so that they would more easily be able to track down those wielding the Power of Harmony and disrupt them. However, he neglected to remove the capacity for love from them.

At the end of this era is when Luna went all Nightmare Moon crazy, right?

THE NIGHT SHALL LAST FOREVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Possibly the best villain quote ever.

1248584 Did he really have a favored creation? Would that be the Windegos?

What else did Discord make? The manticores? The cockatrice?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Actually, no. Then we move into the Pre-Classical Era, which established Equestria as a dominant regional power. The weather and seasons were completely regulated, and several new cities were founded. Great strides were made in thought and science, and treaties were signed with neighboring nations, most notably the Diamond Dog Tribes and the Gryphonian Oligarchy. Equal rights to representation were granted, and a civil defense force known as the Royal Equestrian Guard was established. This period lasted for nearly six hundred years.

• Viewing 51 - 100 of 149