The Griffon Kingdom 844 members · 516 stories
Comments ( 10 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 10

I was hoping to have an in-depth conversation about culture surrounding the Griffon Nations. You know the whole idea of figure out the theme behind it I was hoping for a Germanic sort of Medieval theme but from the looks of it no one is here so my question has turned to

.... anybody home?

Present. I've always seen the Griffons having a combination of a Norse/Germanic culture. Awhile ago, one guy mentioned that the Griffons have a culture that mirrored some of the cultures over in Central Asia which works as well. Government wise, I see them as having a petty kingdom system, which is pretty much feudalism gone rampant. Norway is pretty famous for having that back in the Viking Age.

i imagine the griffin kingdom a little like game of thrones, multiple factions cooperating to form one kingdom while still scheming and backstabbing to get higher up in the political system. i enjoy reading about the logistics of how a kingdom/city of griffins would work. for example, a griffin home doesn't need a door on street level it only needs a hatch on the roof. because of this streets would only be for transport of goods and flight disabled griffins.

i also enjoy reading about the interactions between a race of carnivores and exclusively herbivores.
i rate there tecnologie as being early middle age with maybe a little bit of steampunk.

I was worried I was alone.
but huzzah, people to talk about this with ^_^

I am in favor of the Viking's Jarls and high king. It would explain why Griffonstone is so bloody small.
However, as for a culture, I feel it would be a good mix between that viking ish germanic world with a touch of its older parts being quite Rome'ish. I had instilled Latin and secret orders into my fanfictions when it comes to griffons. Much like the Roman Catholic empires. Knights templar sort of groups.

But their government very centered on individual states ruled by small kings who report to a much higher up emperor of sorts.

Knightly Orders within Griffonia ( I think that's what its called) is a pretty good idea. I've also seen and imagined the Griffons having a government based off the Holy Roman Empire prior to the Thirty Years War (which destroyed all pretenses of a united German empire for a time) and Byzantine Empire or its successor states like Morea, Achaea, or Trebizond for example.

I see the Griffins as more split species where one part of the species are completely backwards in technology and while the other half of the species is on par, if not, further ahead of Equestria by a long shot (TIME FOR HEADCANON IDEAS!)

Anyways here's how it goes, the old Griffin kingdom of Griffinstone was once the leading empire of the Griffin race and with the death of the king (I forgot his name) and the losing of the goblet, the Kingdom was unable reunite itself as warring nobles vied for control over the throne and the noble kingdom. All technological progress was halted and all cultural devlopment along with it too. The old kingdom was shattered and to this day they are still not able to unite under a single banner. This gave them a barbaric culture and I would say that this new culture is very reminiscent of Ancient Era Tribes and Chiefdoms. There is no established government in place and everyone is kind fending for themselves, trying to survive the next day, and it was quite evidenced with the show with the miserable living conditions and such hostility.

But here's the fun part about the other side of the species. A lot of birds are migratory especially in the northern regions such as Europe, North America, and Russian Asia. It is fun to think that before the Griffins had become a sentient species that they had migrated quite often whenever the land began to shift from summer to winter. But once the Griffins had reach sentience they had settled down on two completely different continents much like humans did. This other continent is pretty much the successful continent where the Griffin kingdoms had thrived and there is actually a large civilization that is capable of a full fledged economy, a government with a bureaucracy, thriving arts and sciences, and standing army capable of mobilization. I like to think this as the modern country of the world along with other countries such as The United Pracian Union of Europa, (Pony China), and (Pony India). They are full fledged with the arts and sciences with that are comparable to today, if not even more advanced than today's technology. But they aren't in the lead as to technology for The United Prancian Union of Europa claims that title, but they are known for their culture development and unique perspectives upon the arts. Some of the best writers, artists, film makers, and engineers have come from this Griffin state.

These Griffins have a similar history as to the Romans, Feudalistic Japan, and then eventually Industrial Era through Early twentieth century Germany (yes even with totalitarian government period). Where there would be an era of unification early on, but eventually would break into feudalistic states that vie for control over the country but then eventually become unified. They then rapidly evolve into an industrial society and eventually someone takes over (don't have his name) and uses the industrialization to create a massive army and promotes a sense of extremist nationalism amongst the Griffin peoples and eventually enters and arms race with the Prancian Union and they lose (big surprise). Eventually are left in ruin, but they eventually rebuild their culture and peoples and form into a prosperous cultural society. And they still are.

Sorry if some of this doesn't make any sense, I'm sick, so I really can't think straight.

This is also headcanon so please don't kill me

I think of Griffinstone as the Griffin equivalent of Detroit. Surely there must be proper Griffin cities and countries somewhere.

I really like the Stardust series presentation of the Griffons.
They have an EXCEEDINGLY strict honor code like the Samurai, honestly more strict than that, they would rather die than show weakness, lie, or disrespect for a comrade, even a little.
They have their "emperor" the High Talon. which is strictly a hereditary position. They also have a unique form of magic much like how Fallout Equestria shows the Zebra magic, only the Griffons do not need gems. Very strict and VERY private rituals and traditions. The royal guard is the Myrmidon and they are close to immortal.
spoiler alert here
They can die and all but one did, but one griffon elder came back to the site of their last stand and called their names declaring that their oath was unfulfilled and they rose again and just wrecked face killing EVERYTHING.

But yeah, very roman with touches of Japanese and viking. Its the bloody PERFECT mixture.

The Myrmidon had freed itself from the chariot’s harness, no small task given the number of weapons that bristled from his armored body, and had extended a talon to help the other griffon down from the passenger compartment. The latter hobbled forward, leaning heavily against the staff in its talons, before stopping in the center of the roadway. Slowly, shakily, the staff rose in the griffon’s grip, before stabbing it down to the ground with a CRACK.
It should not be doing that. Not even a rifle report would bounce back this much… Zhang thought as the sound echoed several times through the abandoned city, and more than rooftop snow drift cascaded down to the street level. Any further speculation would have to wait as the cloaked griffon began to speak.
“Rise…” the word was drawn out and hissed like a weapon from its sheath as the staff was brought down to the stone street again with another echoing CRACK. “Invaders hold High Peak, the blood of a High Talon stains the ground, your oaths are unfulfilled.” CRACK. “The griffon people fight for their roosts, the enemy intends our extinction, your oaths are unfulfilled.” CRACK. “The Winter has fallen upon us, the living require your aid, your oaths are unfulfilled!” CRACK.
The cloaked griffon’s voice, starting as barely more than a whisper to Zhang’s sharp ears, grew into a crescendo. This is magic, it has to be. But this isn’t like Twilight or anything in Canterlot. This feels wrong, Zhang thought as the staff struck the ground again. With each strike the sound grew louder, and he couldn’t help but raise his rifle as something began to move beneath the snow.
The cloaked griffon grasped the staff in both of its front talons and raised it high above his head as he yelled, “Your oaths are unfulfilled, and the rightful High Talon commands you! Rise, and fight once more!” The red gemstone atop the staff flared with an angry light as it was driven down into the ground. Lines of energy raced down the staff and rippled across the ground like bolts of lightning to the scattered snowdrifts, each one jolting as it passed. Then, just as the staff-holder had commanded, the Myrmidons emerged from beneath the snow.
Armor parts clattered and skipped across the snow-covered road as they converged on one another, from the scorched plate bracers to the metal-wrought talons to the griffon-faced helmets in sequence. One by one, the scattered parts separated themselves from the frozen and desiccated corpses that littered the roadway to reconnect with each other, and one by one the massive Myrmidons stepped forward until nine faced the one that had escaped the massacre at the capital.
As one, they tilted their heads, and a nod was the only reply.

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/189185/37/mente-materia/37----satisfaction

Alvar waited patiently for Renfeld to retrieve her translator pendant before he spoke. “A most impressive display, Major,” he said, careful to keep none of what he was feeling from bleeding into his tone. “I must confess that seeing it has made me a bit anxious. I would very much enjoy the opportunity to practice with you, since you’re here.”

“I’m afraid I must decline, sir,” she replied with a quick bow. “I’m afraid I have other duties--.”

“You would deny an offer to spar with the High Talon?” Alvar hissed with as much disbelief as he could muster.
Impatience was replaced with hesitation as Renfeld paused. “I apologize if I have offended you. Would a single match satisfy your curiosity for now?”

“Oh, I’m certain it will. Hall master, two arming sabers for myself, please,” Alvar requested, and he was pleased to see the light of comprehension in the elder griffon’s eyes. Renfeld’s practice sword was returned to her before the hall master presented a pair of wooden short swords to the High Talon. He gave each weapon an experimental spin and slash as he spread his wings to hover in the air before locking his eyes on Renfeld.

The human obligingly entered into a defensive stance before asking, “First blood or fatal blow?”

“It will not matter,” Alvar answered... and then he launched forward like crossbow bolt.

“You are allowed to feel anger, little talon,” his father had said, what felt like a long time ago. “However, you must be mindful of it. Anger born from personal offense is beneath you and not worth your effort. However, there will be times when your anger is roused by something so dishonorable that it demands wrath. And the wrath of the High Talon must always be three things: It must be precise. It must be implacable. It must be legendary.” It had been the only time that he had seen seen his father in his battle armor. It was the only time he had seen ten Myrmidons arrayed at his flank.

Total silence filled the practice hall before it was broken by the hall master. Renfeld’s practice sword fell easily into his outstretched talon and was replaced on its rack in one smooth move before the elder griffon clenched his talon into a fist and struck it to his leather chestplate. The sound repeated itself as other griffons mimicked the gesture, and it was amplified by the clash of metal on metal as the Myrmidon joined in.

“Know this, Major Renfeld,” Alvar hissed, his voice nearly lost in the din of griffon applause. “Abuse my goodwill again and the next blades you will have on your neck will be steel.” With another flex of his wings he disengaged from the human. Both practice swords were tucked beneath his wings as he descended to the fighting mats. He cast a look towards one of the guards near the door. “See that Major Renfeld returns to the human compound, and send a message to Colonel Van Doorn. It seems I have reason to speak with him sooner than expected…”

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 10