World War Bronies 734 members · 129 stories
Comments ( 6 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 6
dragonfang33
Group Admin

While most know of the truce that occurred in 1914, few if any know of the events that transpired 30 years latter during the Battle of the Bulge, when a small group of American and German soldiers encountered each other at the home of a German civilian, who convinced the soldiers to leave the weapons at the door and for a few hours the soldiers shared christmas dinner with the family, and when the day dawned, and it seemed like the soldiers would resume the war or take each other prisoner, the soldiers simply walked away from each other. No shots no prisoners.

http://hubpages.com/education/About-World-War-2-A-Small-Christmas-Truce

Interesting, I did not know that. Learn something new.

4943367 Awesome. All thanks to a good civilian who wanted a few hours of peace and friendship. I knew of the 1914 Truce when the trench war was paused to have a wonderful Christmas with friends and foes alike. This is the kind of stuff you see that reminds you of what being a brony is about; making the most improbable friends, even if you'll were foes mere hours ago or later. I wonder if, after either truce, someone had a crosshair or iron sight on them and didn't get shot, all because of a few smokes and cups of coffee and words about their women back home. I like to think so.

dragonfang33
Group Admin

The events of 1914 and this story from 1944 remind us that the term: Friendship is Magic doesn't just apply to Ponies. Because that is the only way to describe what happened in 1914 and in the story from 1944.

What happened in 1944 was a chance meeting between a family and two groups of lost soldiers who took pity on each other. However in 1914 it's widely believed that snipers and artillery batteries opening fire on orders from the Generals of both sides are why the truce collapsed, and after 1914 with the massive casualties of the later battles and use of poison gas the two sides outright hated each other and refused to call any further truces. Still one has to wonder what could've happened if the war ended right there or if the soldiers had mutinied when ordered to resume fighting, and one has to wonder how many men from the 1914 truce lived to see the end of the war

4943727 Sadly, I believe very few survived. But hey, if this happens in WW3, maybe Germany and America should stop the love/hate relationship that comes up ever time a world war breaks out.

MERRY CHRISTMAS, ONE AND ALL!!!!

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 6