SlipperPutty and co. fanfic reviews. 13 members · 27 stories
Comments ( 31 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 31
SlipperPutty
Group Admin

So there won't be a new episode this week since I'm delayed in my return to my normal recording location, but I do have some awesome news!

I recently got a PM from WIL_I_ZIN (the guy who wrote Cheating Death) saying that he found our show and enjoyed the episodes he found very much. He wanted to know if we'd be willing to review Cheating Death. Plus he'd be willing to advertise for us. The story itself is ~19000 words; it'd be long, but we'd get free advertising.

What do you guys think?

Wargame
Group Admin

785513 Yes please.

OpalBerries
Group Admin

785513 Definitely.

Wargame
Group Admin

785513 So is there gonna be another GDoc that we share? That honestly seems like the best way to do it.

Pinkie Primus
Group Admin

I'm game for it, but what date would we be looking to release the video on? It's just uni has piled on the work as I'm about to break up for Easter. Maybe we could start leaving comments in a gDoc now but also review another, much shorter story too? That way, the short story would be ready to post next week while the longer one would be half done, the other half of which could be done the following week... hope that's easy enough to follow...

SlipperPutty
Group Admin

785987 786083 786441 All right, I've put the story in a gDoc for comments here. Since it's a huge story, we're going to plan to finish this episode on the 31st of March. That will give us almost two weeks to make comments on the story. I do encourage us all to start reading as soon as possible.

We will, however, make another (simpler) review for a shorter story for the review on March 24th. So, if you have any suggestions for that, let me know.

OpalBerries
Group Admin

786441 we could just throw up the 'twelve' review.

Wargame
Group Admin

786659>>786640>>786441
Okay, so I've been reading this fic and I noticed that there's a scene that was taken word-for-word from the old show Yuyu Hakusho. Some slight details were changed but its the same damn conversation, with the same damn details, with the same damn situation with the main character dying to save a kid who would've lived even had they not intervened.

I say we call the author on this, its plagiarism and lazy writing.

Pinkie Primus
Group Admin

I'd agree with this. I like a reference here and there but if he has just ripped off an entire section that's unfair.

OpalBerries
Group Admin

794974 I agree completely. I, for one, absolutely despise copying, and when it's placed in a rather good fic, damn, that's just sad.

Wargame
Group Admin

794996>>795163 I'm gonna look up the first two episodes of Yuyu Hakusho now and link them here, I say that we all at least look at the evidence first.

OpalBerries
Group Admin
SlipperPutty
Group Admin

794974 I don't watch Yuyu, so I would have no idea if it's copied or not. But good call. If you can, post the episode so we can compare.

Wargame
Group Admin

794996>>795251>>786640
I could only find the dub version so the dialogue is different(I had the subbed versions saved to my laptop, I fucking love this show) but I think the similarities are pretty clear, starting with the whole "dying to save a kid" concept and in the whole "it would've been fine" area.

10:20 is the start of the scene where the main character finds the kid to e doing something dangerous

11:05 is when the main character sacrifices himself

14:15 to 15:05 is when they start the whole "you weren't supposed to die" bit occurs and they mention the kid would've been fine, they even make a similar joke about the main characters death being a waste.

Look I might just be looking at this through my Yuyu Hakusho fan goggles, but the similarities are absolutely there.

OpalBerries
Group Admin

795429 Now that i've seen the episode and read the passage pertaining to what you've stated, I have to agree with you on that fact. The consistency of it is, indeed, very keen and precise. I also have to agree with what you've stated in your comment. WTF was a 9 yr old kid doing rollerblading around a train station. There are slight word changes and other diverging factors, but the proof is in the pudding; the entire passage was practically copied, scene-to-scene. Now that you've spotted this, I suggest we all take a closer look at what is further ahead in his fic, along with others whom have, overall, created a pretty successful fic. I'm not saying we need to re-read the entire thing, but for future reference. I haven't started reading it, yet, but I'll be sure to keep my eye on his writing.

Lastly, who will confront him with this?

Wargame
Group Admin

795513 I'm willing to confront him since I discovered it. I don't think this is something we should take to the mods or anything because he's a good author and he has talent, he just took a scene from an old show to add what he probably thought was a dramatic tone to the opening of the fic. He's a good writer and I'm going to assume that he's also a decent guy so I don't think that getting him banned is the right course of action. If he maybe just put in a note at the bottom of the first chapter saying that a portion of his story was inspired by Yuyu Hakusho then I would be less upset about it all. I'd honestly like to hear what he has to say about it all too before we make any brash decisions.

OpalBerries
Group Admin

795571 Very well, and I agree, there is no need to bring this to the Mods. Confront him whenever you feel ready.

SlipperPutty
Group Admin

795571 You can probably Skype him; he's always online. Or, send him a message on this site. He's bound to get back to you quickly.

Wargame
Group Admin

795586>>795592
Alright the message has been sent, its all up to his reaction now.

Wargame
Group Admin

795586>>795592 Alright so he was upset and he says he's never seen the show, I don't feel like dragging this out to long so I'm inclined to believe him. This isn't the first time that he's gotten this complaint so I'm surprised there wasn't some sort of message about this in advance if he asked us to review this but whatever.

OpalBerries
Group Admin

795981 Edit: I, too, have to believe him, but I'm not 100% sure about it. There are massive amounts of psychological aspects at work here. To me, I think he's just using this 'upsetness' as a barrier to prevent us from digging any deeper. If he never heard of the show, nor watched it, then there should be no reason for him to get upset. An example is when someone is clearly lying, but in order to shield themselves from blame, they either cry for their innocence or just walk straight out the building and don't even respond, nor listen to the accusations. But I, too, don't feel like dragging this on, so I'll believe him aswell.

OpalBerries
Group Admin

795592 We should include the similarity in the review, not to call him out, but to warn/tell new/other readers that the passage/scene are in no way relevant to each other, and that it was completely coincidental; it will most likely save him the trouble of more accusations.

SlipperPutty
Group Admin

796562 Agreed. We'll have to figure out how to word that; we don't want to sound too accusing, and yet we still want to point out the similarities. I'll try to write something out and post it here for you all to look at so that we can make sure it's not too blatant or anything like that.

Wargame
Group Admin

786640>>796562>>794996 Okay so I just got back to reviewing Cheating Death and I realized only one of us actually got around to reviewing it, and it most definitely wasn't me.

I'm gonna be honest since this is our first request AND its on a popular story done by a talented author I think we need to get on this ASAP otherwise we're gonna look like complete assholes. It doesn't affect me so much because I already made an ass of myself, but I do want to get this done and make it up to the author for stirring up some stupid bullshit.

SlipperPutty
Group Admin

822335 796562 794996 That person was me. :twilightblush:

Anyway, yes, please continue reviewing. It's going to be formatted slightly differently, however. I'll be basically summarizing what happens in a chapter, what was good about the chapter, what needed improvement in the chapter, and some additional notes. So don't feel like you have to do an in-depth review of everything. Just point out some things and mention what you think worked and what didn't work. That's all I ask. If you want to do more, then be my guest, but don't feel like you have to do an extremely critical review.

OpalBerries
Group Admin

822335>>822404 Blame it on the math- got you going to nath :pinkiecrazy:; Blame it on the Physics- got you makin' gimmicks :twilightangry2:; Blame it on the Sch- sch- sch- sch- sch- school; blame it on the sch-oo-oo-o-o-olll:raritycry:.
Blame it on the Conics- got you singing Mnemonics :fluttershbad:; Blame it on the Redox- got you in headlocks :flutterrage:; Blame it on the Sch- sch- sch- sch- sch- school; blame it on the sch-oo-oo-o-o-olll :facehoof:.
I'll get on that crap as soon as possible, just have schoolz to deals with right now; should be able to do it on Fri.:moustache:

OpalBerries
Group Admin

822404 Btw, slipper, I was on the YouTube, and as I was flipping through my subs I came across a guy by the name of L0RdZovChAoS, and I was wondering, because he seems like a pretty cool guy, and because he is also doing a little review thing such as what we're doing, I was wondering if we could accomdate him into our group. I haven't asked him to, but I think he might make a great addition to our little hobble. So, what do you think?:trixieshiftright:

SlipperPutty
Group Admin

823684 Well, I suppose we could "accommodate" him, but in what way were you thinking? As another reviewer? Another video host for potential "dual host" shows? Editing?

OpalBerries
Group Admin

824379 Review and/or video co-hosting. He seems well adjusted to the camera, as well as a dedicated reader. Possible editing, too. Overall, I think he seems like a pretty good canidate

SlipperPutty
Group Admin

825516 Well we certainly need someone who can be an alternate host. Cohosting would be harder but not impossible. Would you like to contact him about joining us?

OpalBerries
Group Admin
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 31