The Three Stooges Fan-Club 89 members · 3 stories
Comments ( 2 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 2
A Man Undercover
Group Admin

Yo, what's up, Kemosabes?

This is your friendly film, TV show, and episode reporter here with another review.

Today, for my 13th analysis on an installment of the Three Stooges, I'm gonna give you guys my take of "Spook Louder".

Here's the rundown of it:

The Three Stooges are traveling salesman who try their best to sell "Miracles Reducing Machines".

Upon arriving at the house of an inventor named Mr. Graves, though, they're unwittingly given the job of caretakers. Their assignment in particular is to make sure spies don't sneak into Graves's house and steal his inventions, which won't be easy due to a lot of spooky happenings.

I have to admit, when I found out that this short was considered the worst of the Curly episodes, I didn't know what to think. I can't help but even go so far as to wonder why that is, because in all honesty...I actually believe it to be one of their best works!

For instance, the direction by Del Lord, and the story and screenplay by Clyde Bruckman, were marvelously well-done.

The short certainly wasn't the most violent of the Three Stooges's filmography, but the jokes had a tremendous innocence and were executed in a way that made them irresistibly hysterical. My favorite moments in particular were the parts with the Stooges and the morse code translator, and the part where the ugly-faced balloon gets snagged behind Curly's jacket. The scenes with the Professor J.O. Dunkfeather and the newspaper reporter were pretty fun too.

The performances of the cast and the characters were splendid as well.

The Stooge team themselves may not have given their performances the wild kind of spice that they incorporated in previous shorts, but they were still able to make any moment they were given count and be entertaining to watch. They did a wonderful job at throwing themselves into their work, that's for sure. The portrayals of Lew Kelly as J.O. Dunkfeather and Stanley Brown as the newspaper reporter were brilliant as well.

In conclusion, "Spook Louder" has a reputation that I literally can't understand! It's hilarious, excellently written and directed, and the cast wonderfully portrayed their characters.

So, I rate "Spook Louder" five out of five stars.

I remember watching this one this is also the first time that they did the moe scream while his hair is standing up like a cartoon character being scared and yes I remember the balloon part

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 2