Rock Music 231 members · 99 stories
Comments ( 8 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 8

Magma. French band from the 70's, founders of the Progressive Rock subgenre known as Zeuhl. Founder and drummer Christian Vander fused experimental Jazz and Rock music and devised his own language, known as Kobaïan (sounds like a fusion of Russian and German) with which he's been writing his lyrics, still used to this day.

I swear the classification of 'Technical Progressive Metal' was invented solely because of the existence of this band. There's really no reason why it should exist, but the brothers Jazombek (plus Pete Perez) are both apparently gods at what they play, so why the fuck not? Oh yeah, their project Blotted Science is great too, but it's like ten times heavier.

Finally, I present Sex Machineguns.

Aptly named and no surprise that they come from Japan. Probably one of my favorite bands from there, simply because they're all over the place yet still able to consistently pound out that high-energy Heavy Metal sound. Way too much fun to listen to and they have that weirdness about them that a large number of Japanese bands have.

I BERIEEEEEEEEEVE IN HEAVY METAL POWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

873729 Dude, I would have to go full out Jimi Hendrix.

Regidar
Group Contributor

Y'know, I never looked far into NMH. Dunno why, because I'm enjoying what I'm hearing right now. Definitely enjoying the acoustics, too.

Also, wasn't really sure what I was listening to regarding Locust Toybox. First impression is it's some variation of Ambient. Checked the name and I noticed it's the gentleman behind Salad Fingers, which is really cool.

Well, how about Airbourne? Can never go wrong with Airbourne.

Catchy, but I wouldn't necessarily consider Airbourne particularly 'out-there.' Sounds like a pretty straightforward Hard Rock group to me. If I recall I heard something of theirs a while back and I thought I was listening to AC/DC. Needless to say I wasn't impressed. This, however, is a marked improvement.

Another really off-the-wall one from Japan. Totally love their sound though. Fukken groovy.

Interstellar Overdrive by Pink Floyd.

Anything in Syd Barrett's brief solo career...

mr bungle is definitely my favorite "out-there" band

but no one can beat frank zappa

buckethead and john zorn are good runner ups

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 8