Equestria Divided 707 members · 52 stories
Comments ( 41 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 41

I'll start this with an example then,

The Appleloosan Aqueducts
Water is important when wandering the deserts. During the early days, water is as valuable as bits in the Frontier. The Engineer Guild quenched this thirst early on with what is collectively called the Appleloosan Aqueducts. These waterways are dug and paved into Earthborn soil, bringing precious water to Earthborn settlements. But the Appleloosan Ridge can only provide so much mineral water from its springs, and there are still many thirsty ponies.

There are rumors of a new construction project called the Coloradoan Aqueducts. If Nighthoof reports are accurate, this will connect the Twin Rivers to the rest of Earthborn territory. It may possibly turn this arid landscape into a much greener one.

Alright, you guys and girls should have a general idea now for what this thread's going to be about. Now start pumping those ideas out of your hard head..! :derpytongue2:

Edit: This here's the link to the map.

Buffalo settlers may oppose the idea of a second aqueduct.

3991284 OH OH i actually have one for this. however i don't know if there's something like this on the map but i doubt there isn't.

(couldnt really come up with a good name for this, mind helping me out? im using a placeholder name for now but want a better name for it in the end, also, how did you make those lines above and below your paragraph?)

Crevasse of Laughter (Chasm of Laughter)
Found within Earthborn Territory. I'll add a location when i find a fitting one.

For a long time, nopony thought anything of this crevasse, it was just an ordinary hole in their vast world. However, after the division, something strange started happening, one could swear that they could hear laughter coming from this crevasse. However the sources where unknown. It went so far down that one could not see the bottom, and nopony dared venture into it in fear of what they might find inside.

Applejack however, was not one to turn her back on something so strange, she also suspected what the source might be... Her last encounters with the Cult of Laughter where burned into her mind and she would never forget the threat they pose. And something told her this crevasse was simply a bomb ticking down until it explodes into something big.

This Crevasse led to the legend of the Alicorn of Death. In short, it is believed that a massive Alicorns Mockery came out of the crevasse and went on a rampage. This monster was named the "Alicorn of Death" for the sheer devastation it caused. However Applejack had responded quickly and sent one of her commanders to take it out. However they had underestimated the power of the beast and lost all of their lives stopping it, only barely managing to stop it, however it cost them over 60 lives to do so.

(skip 20 years or so)

To this day, even if the legend is now considered a myth, nopony has forgotten its message, that one must never underestimate their foes. the crevasse now lies as a reminder of what happens to those that are careless within this war torn world.

------------------------------

This spot is pretty important for one of my stories and i have written a basic version of the legend, just have to correct mistakes and such and fix it all up before posting it online one day.

Edit: After a bit of research and being corrected. Its a Chasm, not a Crevasse. Really gotta find a good name for this thing -.-

That is why they're just rumors. I really appreciate your opinion, it opened up another view for the aqueducts. The buffaloes who held the traditional way of life would surely disagree with this. Earthborn couldn't risk angering the Buffaloes, for they are proven to be a reliable ally. Thank You, for reminding me of the Buffaloes...

Why a Crevasse? Are there ice around it? That's a really good location, in my opinion. A haunting place that became a subject to myths and legends. A Cult Hideout I presume, engineering away their Alicorn Mockeries...

3994509 Well i actually dont know the word for it. Canyon? Crevasse? A large long crack in the ground. I guess its canyon considering "The Great Canyon" :facehoof: wasn't sure what it was called until now.

Edit: After further research, canyon is indeed the correct word for is. Or actually, Chasm would be more of a correct word. Its a really long crack in the group that goes VERY deep. You actually can't see the bottom of it hence all the myths (because if you could see at the bottom you wouldn't have to speculate whats down there -.-)

I was thinking "Crevice", but "Chasm" works better, sounds bigger.

Not really locations, just notable things...

Aqua Mines
Originally one of the many devious economic schemes employed by Mistress Diamond Tiara,, these naval mines are strategically placed so that the target ships would sink, leaving precious cargo afloat to be looted. They dotted the seascapes of the Gulf of Manehattan, ship captains are frequently told of the mines' locations by Nighthoof novices. Be wary, as a single bomb is enough to create a big hole on the hull. These are also essential for Whitegold's naval defense against pirates, and very dangerous when they are to be left forgotten. Its colors blend in with the blue waters of the sea.

4008255 Maybe think up a certain part of the ocean that was originally something big but eventually through the use of aqua mines, became a death trap for anyone daring to traverse it. However there's something there of much worth and that to this day there are still pirates or even some of the factions that try to go there and find it. Even Whitegold has trouble because they lost control of their mines for some reason or another, maybe pirates started using them? or maybe out of desperation they had to launch many mines in that area? Aqua Mines are more of an equipment or unit or something, however you can make a location based off around them.

It is more of a location because of the quantity it is employed. Smart ship captains might managed to avoid the bombs, or some of them (The Bombs) might be defective. But to put it simple, Whitegold lost track of them in the past, and now they are carefully used while old ones are hunted down to avoid any further unexpected accidents...

Pirates using the mines is also in my idea list for this. I forgot to mention that these mines blend in with the color of the sea (Aqua Mines - Aquamarines) , and they levitated so that it's half above the water, enough for the hull to hit them...

Some might know how to defuse them, and maybe reactivate them. These individuals are well sought after by both the Whitegold Navy and a myriad of pirate captains...

Dragon's Teeth Monastery
The headquarter of the infamous Serene Order of the Draconic Knights stood high atop one of the myriad Canterlotian Mountains, rising above the shadows cast by the Fortress of the Sun. The path to the monastery serves as the first and foremost ordeal for aspiring Solar Knights to become Draconic Knights, tamers and hunters of the dragons.

Along the mountain path to the monastery itself are dragon bones, countless planted, hence the name “Dragon's Teeth”. In terms of military engineering, they serve as barricades to the already steep cliffs and palisades to the already narrow path. The sights are magnificent to some, but horrifying to many.

Thick walls form the monastery's territory, wrapping the mountain top. There are many open space areas within the monastery which are used for decorative gardens and practice areas. Living quarters are one storey buildings, wide enough to house dozens of ponies.

The main structure lies on top of the mountain, a colossal cave once lived by an ancient dragon. Every work and management happens here. If there's a dragon on the loose, the shout will be heard from here. The most notable thing is the treasure vault, storing treasures looted from a dragon's lair.

Will update, need to come up of what the actual monastery would look like. I'm working on multiple orders right now since the Draconic Knights made me want to try out some new ideas... :raritywink:

:duck: : Hmm, yep, guess that's it for the monastery. Don't have much idea on it, shame...

Since this is the only thread that discusses locations, I guess it would be okay to post Non-Canon Descriptions here...

Trottingham
Incorporating many technologies and experiences, to lay siege on Trottingham would be a fool's errand if they are unprepared. Dwarfed by many larger settlements, Trottingham has limited land control.. The town center is large, its garrisons are very large, and its walls are impregnable. There isn't much room for accommodations so the Governor issued an ingenious edict, claim the lake.

If to count only the land territories of Trottingham, it is indeed, small. But to measure its entire territory, colossal is an understatement. Citizens of Trottingham live in a variety of houseboats. Pegasi messengers deliver letters periodically to keep them in touch. Citizens would from time to time, visit the land to resupply their stock. There are houseboats that are large enough to accommodate several families whilst retaining mobility to escape raids and such.

Cloud outposts dot the lake to keep public order, making the atmosphere and lighting there slightly gloomy. Amidst the civilian ships are the ground guards themselves on their ships. The Trottingham Navy is tasked with defending the lake. Not only protecting the citizens living on the lake, but also repel any infiltration through it as well. Without constant air support, this system will fail.

I can't really come up with a new name for the thread. Coming up with Headcanons for the Canon Locations could fit in the same thread of discussing Non-Canon locations, that's just my opinion anyway... :applejackunsure:

Solar Farms
The empty plains of the Northern Expansion provide excellent grounds for one of the many prototypes devised by the scientists of Moon and Star, the Solar Farms. To harness the energy of the Sun will bring its disciples closer to Her embrace. This magical structure is shaped as a giant tower, casting a massive shadow to the ground below.

Surrounding the tower itself are magical auras emitted by the tower itself. These auras would collect pure sunlight, concentrate and reflect them to the large glass-like orb at the center of the tower. When a certain volume is acquired, the orb would process the concentrated sunlight into what is called Sun Energy that would be later sent to an another site which would process them again for further usage.

:twilightsmile: : Twilight going Green..!

So basically, a name for the "Solar Batteries" on the map. (if you use the Roleplay map (which is the one im using) its near Struttgart at the far east.)

Now if we're going to discuss Non canon desciptions of Canon locations, might i ask a question about one as well?

What in Equestria is Princess Platinum's Vault suppose to be used for??? (North from Canterlot)

(Just to make it easier on all of us, since we're discussing locations, might as well have a map to go along with it to make it easier to locate said areas or to place them.)

Credit: http://th02.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/f/2013/143/d/d/equestria_divided__map_of_equestria__workbench__by_thearchivist101-d66cp7p.png
Labels and details made by: TheArchivist101.
Original Map and picture was made by: PoorYorick

Sadly the picture is hard to see here, click on the link to go to the DA page and click on it to make it bigger and much easier to read. Or use the program Inkscape, download the picture from DA, and look at it through there. (Inkscape would also let you edit the picture, due to it coming with a bunch of bases to help edit the map without using programes like paint. Would be interesting to see what some people come up with. But im not sure if we're exactly allowed to edit and post our versions of this map up here due to copyright reasons.)

I've also noticed a lot of stuff in the south, mostly the empty Zebran Desert. However one key thing that caught my attention is near the very bottom. (gonna need the bigger picture for this) Theres the Southern Earth Bastion. A supposedly Major Earthborn Settlement, but right under that, theres the RUINS of the 7th Watchtower. The RUINS. Also, Near the middle left, theres the RUINS of the first watchtower. Now, anybody want to try to come up with HOW these two watch towers we're destroyed? Considering how they seem to be two really heavily defended ones as well (7th one is right beside the South bastion and the 1st one is between both the Northern bastion AND Appleloosa.) And what consequences we're there of their destruction? I find it quite clear that the Changelings had something to do with this. We're they able to break trough at one point? Did some of them slip by? Did Earthborn stop them? And many other things. These Watchtowers are key to stopping the Changelings advance, so it shocked me when i saw how some of them we're actually in ruins.

Vault:
1.) A roof in the form of an arch or a series of arches, typical of churches and other large, formal buildings.
2.) A large room or chamber used for storage, especially an underground one.

:moustache: : The second definition, definitely. Don't you agree, 4148745..?

:trollestia: : Instead of just a large room or chamber, I bet it's the entire mountain..!

:trixieshiftright: : I notice that Platinum's Vault is located on top of the mountain it is built in, while Clover's located at the bottom of the mountain. A very noticeable difference, I should say..!

:raritywink: : If its purpose is to store something, then what else could it be? The most valuable thing in Moon and Star is definitely not "Gold", Knowledge rather...

:twilightsmile: : Part of the purposes of the vaults might be libraries, a sanctuary of knowledge and wisdom. I think there would be more smaller vaults spread across the Canterlotian Mountains, but these two are the biggest, similar to how the six tribes are the biggest in the forest...

:pinkiesmile: : Apart from books, the vaults might be used to store ancient artifacts that were found throughout the world as well. Maybe they even conduct research there too, making it a research facility as well...

:rainbowdetermined2: : I'll put some thought later on further details of the vaults. Who knows? It might be something staggering..!

:pinkiecrazy: : The 7th Watchtower might have been destroyed by their "allies" from the 8th Watchtower...

:duck: : Maybe the 1st Watchtower was destroyed early at the dawn of the Changeling Invasion, by which Earthborn haven't fully prepared for the invasion. The 1st Watchtower was destroyed because of that; and they are still trying to reclaim the ruins to reconstruct the tower, as that position holds significant amount of strategic and tactical importance...

For the vault, we can't forget that its Princess Platinums vault. If one doesn't remember, Princess Platinum was the Unicorn Princess during the play of the Hearts warming eve episode. (Which rarity played).

So it might not only be used to contain books and such, but maybe it had been found and there was something inside?

Its possible the artifacts are what helped lead to the technology M&S has now, Princess Platinum might have been up to something to try to find ways of creating energy or other machines to help the unicorns survive the ice age the Windigo had created.

For the watchtowers though, i like the idea of "allies". However, i'm not sure exactly WHO these "allies" are. Because i see two possibilities.

1. The Changelings found a way to infiltrate in there and eventually took out the other watchtower
2. The cult might have something to do with it, considering there's some cult influence near that tower.

I'll start thinking of something for the watch towers, they intrigue me.

:derpyderp2: : I... I think I'm having a breakthrough here, 4150053..!

:raritystarry: : I'll start with headlines! Generally, Platinum's vault would contain knowledge and artifacts concerning "Unicorn Supremacy". It's plausible since she was racist, as do the unicorns of old. It wouldn't make any sense if she didn't plan to overthrow the Diarch and establish unicorn supremacy throughout Equestria..!

:trollestia: : Clover's however, should be more concerned on "Scientific Wisdom", as for being an apprentice / student of the great Starswirl the Bearded afterall. Most of both theoretical and practical technologies must have come from this vault, maybe being the very source of Moon and Star's technological superiority even..!

:pinkiesmile: : I was thinking of the Cult being responsible for that. But hey, since you've mentioned the Changelings, it might be a collaboration between the two...

:applejackunsure: : Concerning the towers though, I think it might be parts of something bigger. The Appleloosan Ridge is pretty much a natural wall against the Changeling Invasion. Since Earthborn is all about engineering and numerical superiority. What are the odds of them not erecting an equivalent of our Great Wall of China..?

Credit: GuoYali

:ajsmug: : Chinese engineers and laborers erected this Ancient Wonder of our world. Would Earthborn construct similar fortifications that would last through lifetimes..?

Dragon Cemetery
The origin of this enigmatic place dates far back to the past, long before the reign of the sisters. The Dragon Cemetery is where all dragons instinctively go when their time naturally ends. A tradition that has been going on for millennia, remains of once mighty beasts rest peacefully in this sacred ground.

Not at all sea of bones, but rather, a necropolis. A small population maintains the cemetery. Their identities are an enigma, but most agree that they prefer reclusive solitude over company with foreigners. The Wild Roses once attempted to occupy the neutral settlement. Not only they were defeated, but none returned. News traveled across Equestria and ponies are certainly aware not to cross this no pony's land.

Few brave adventurers traveled to the cemetery and were much more fortunate than the missing warband. Stories that came back with them were so epic and mysterious that they were made into tales and poems. For starters: all of the inhabitants of the cemetery wear dusty dark-shaded cloaks that cover their entire bodies, and they also came in many different shapes and sizes.

They have their name in their own language, in the dragon's language. This "dragon cult" is almost as old as the dragons themselves. They would construct each dragon at the end of their long life a mausoleum for nothing but honor, claiming that every dragon deserves nothing but reverence. A powerful and intimidating dragon also lives there. This is enough to make both the Earthborn and the Tribes think twice before claiming this neutral territory.

:unsuresweetie: : Haven't done this for awhile, I hope this head-canon is plausible. It always intrigues me that the only place that is connected to the dragons is the Dragon Cemetery ( Not counting Dragonpoint Outpost ) ...

The Gardens of Appleloosa
Architects lowered their jaws in awe as they stood before the Gardens of Appleloosa. Practically, they are orchards. Crops from all around the known world are gathered and planted here. If the crops don't like appleloosan soil, then the botanists will make sure they will.

These botanists have a no common origin. The founding members of the group were deserters of the Wild Roses tribe who successfully escaped the forest. Being experts in herbalism and alchemy, they contributed no petty works for Earthborn in agriculture. Their projects are no secret to the public, many joined in to help and learn, others provided fundings for the research.

The resulting students who finished their studies with the herbalists are called the botanists. In a way, the gardens are research facilities for improving food production and solving present issues with it. Including the botanists, a number of gardeners also settle in to care the gardens.

Aesthetically, the gardens are all a symbol of cooperation between Earthborn and Thunderhoof. The testament to this being in its architecture, a mix between the austere Earthborn stones with the fine chisels of the Thunderhoof. Accompanied with the diverse gardens, mere words are simply not enough to describe the beauty embraced by the eyes.

:twilightsmile: : I was thinking of the Hanging Gardens of Babylon when coming up with this. Quite tricky since "Aesthetics" doesn't really apply to Earthborn...

:ajsmug: : I recall mentioning this before...

The Heart of Everfree
The Everfree is alive, a forest, but can one possibly imagine that all the greens are but one single entity? The Heart of Everfree is exactly what its name implies. It pumps life into the forest itself, the bloodstream of nature. Being hidden deep in the forest itself, the location is sacred and strictly forbidden to all visitors. A group of high druids guard the surroundings of this place. Without proof, this object is only but a myth to the civilized, a legend to be awed, a tale to sing in taverns and a story to tell the foals.

God of War III - Gaia's Heart Concept Art ...now why ain't the image loaded..?

Ruins of the Wonderbolt Academy
At the dawn of Stormwing's rise to power, the Wonderbolt Academy underwent renovations to suit the more militaristic nature that demanded it. From a cadet school to train the best of flyers to a military academy responsible of educating officers, it is indeed vital to Stormwing's demands for military expansion, particularly the chain of command.

At the height of its prestige and prior to its destruction, many officers who graduated from the academy are very successful serving their duties. The first uprising the Cult of Laughter brought to Stormwing changed everything. Allies turned enemies, a pandemonium erupted within the academy. Although Stormwing won, few survived the massacre.

Today, the academy is still in ruins, its valuables from time to time, salvaged by its owner and looters. It is a testament to Stormwing of how powerful the Cult is, and to the founding of the Honorguard tasked with ensuring fidelity.

Hurricane Academy
Hurricane Academy is a replacement to the Wonderbolt Academy that still lies in ruin. Though it would be logical to build the academy on a cloud platform, the Cult says otherwise. If they have the potential to create so much damage, enough inflict such a major blow to the military, then the land dwellers are might as well at risk.

Being the source of food and supplies pegasi have no access to, losing them will do nothing but cripple Stormwing to the ground. Constructing the new academy on the ground not only gives more security to it, but also officers that are not limited to pegasi. A larger chain of command means more troops for Stormwing to muster.

Being located in the heart of the Cult-infested Trottingham, a branch of Honorguard is stationed there for security, and hopefully root them out entirely. They would also be on lookout for any possible candidates to join them. The demand was due their ranks being widespread throughout the Northern Expansion, lacking effective numbers to carry out their operations efficiently.

Salty Rocks
The main source of income of Dodge Junction, the Cherry Clan. Earthborn produces a lot of food in total, and Cherry who controls the production, produces as much salt to preserve the surpluses. Salt is used for many things other than preventing food from spoilage and making it taste better. Generally, it is a popular in nourishment.

Experienced miners tend to be careful when working in Salty Rock Mines as their underground proved also to be abundant in Salty Rocks, an essential substance for black powder which creates sparks to lit and make it explode. Hitting upon one may not cause much harm, but if careless, could collapse a mine channel on some circumstances; hence the name of the settlement set in stone due to the frequency of such accidents occurring.

The settlement at Salty Rock mines the abundant Salt Rocks and grinds it into various small sizes before sending them to Dodge Junction to be distributed.

The Wall is impregnable. It defends Manehattan from land threats, but only the land. Whitegold cannot afford to be vulnerable in its defenses, no matter were the threat to come from the land, the sky, or the sea...

The Nacre Archipelago
It takes investment to construct a fortress. It takes tremendously more to construct many of them and have them connected together as a single system. The Nacre Archipelago is Whitegold's bastion against naval threats. Though currently, they have an upper hoof in terms of naval capabilities, but their rivals' will eventually mature.

Though still under construction, still far from completion, its innermost layer functions. The fortifications' design is simple: a strong base foundation with a thick sloped wall facing outwards, and a solid tower for signal communication, vigilance, and range support. Below the walls are giant seashells that are nothing but hazardous to any ship's hull.

Following the Earthborn's schematics, a variation of the bucker cannons almost as large as their behemoth counterparts is to be emplaced along each layer of the sloped walls. Currently, no such cannon exist since Whitegold currently has no means of producing them. Standard trebuchets along with militias and relatively cheap contract mercenaries are stationed as placeholders.

I find this a bit interesting since I've have an idea regarding the Everfree. Could it also use a fungal network to connect all plants in the forest? Like in our world we discovered an underground web of fungi connecting the trees and plants of an ecosystem. This symbiosis enables the purposeful sharing of resources, consequently helping the whole system of trees and plants to flourish.

:rainbowderp: : Spores, 4320215..?

:twilightsheepish: : I'm afraid that in the subject of Biology, Mycology isn't one of the topics I have much knowledge of...

:applejackunsure: : I must ask as a learner, fungi are technically the same organism..?

:applejackconfused: : Confusing...

After an ultra-rough research and following what you described here, I think you are on to something, definitely! I haven't considered fungi before, but now that you mentioned it, my mind got inspired into some few ideas, though research is still a priority before I get creative with it...

A symbiosis between the Forest itself and the fungi colonies will make things more interesting. We know that the Forest is alive, sentient. What are the odds of those under it not having sentience as well..?

:ajsmug: : Might as well tie up a loose end up there...

The Great Bastions of the Appleloosan Ridge
Behold the marvel of Earthborn military engineering, the Appleloosan Ridge has become the largest defensive system of the known world. After reclaiming all of the strategic positions that were lost years ago to the fourth changeling invasion and numerous successful defense against their endless hordes, these watchtowers consequently became self-sustainable bastions from the surge of supplies sent to relieve the pressure from constant battles.

To further deny anymore changeling infiltration to the motherland, walls were erected to connect each bastions together so provisions can be shared between fronts. Two supply trains run along the walls daily to deliver provisions to each bastions, needless to say that ‘thick’ is simply lacking in weight when used to describe the walls.

The mountains each bastion stands upon are so high that no further signal towers has to be constructed along the walls, signals from each bastion can be seen quite clearly after all. Cranes situated along the walls can bring ponies down to the Wasteland should the side requires maintenance.

Tide Temple Complex
At the cliff of the small settlement of Coasttown overlooking the horizon of the Sea of Harmony lies a temple to Her Moon, Tide Temple. The priests and priestesses perform their duties to maintain the temple, completely unremarkable from countless others. But when night falls and the tide has risen, a passage will open from within the temple that will lead to something much larger.

At this point, one will know that the temple is much larger than it looks on dry land. Though its large community deemed it fit to be called a temple complex, its potential guarantees them to be a settlement in the future. Since expansion of Moon and Star’s territorial land control has been deemed to be quite problematic, then they might as well expand their borders into the sea. If they in turn provoke the wrath of the mythical mermares and seaponies, then they shall all sleep under their muddy soil.

An artificial sphere keeps the settlement dry compared to what it's preventing from flooding in. Although the dome can be expanded if needed, there are still other problems that come with living under the sea. For starters, the air bubble fabrication system that started this project is still in its prototype stage, being improved every moment flaws become visible and fixed. The process is often life-threatening.

Though seawater is right outside the dome to be used, separating the concentrated salt content from it is still a new method that is quite tedious of a task. Food is also another issue; though already adept at cultivating it, seaweed alone isn't enough to sustain the inhabitants. They can turn to the fishes and other sea creatures, but ponies aren't carnivores.

Presently, the temple relies on the supplies from the mainland and occasional tributes from the locals. The project is ambitious, but when it's completed, the unicorns will tread the deep sea as same as they tread their rightful land.

:twilightsmile: : Not going for an underwater city yet since that's very advanced...

Altar of Damnation
The closest thing to a prison in the nation is to be sent as an experiment subject. If the crime is something more serious than mere petty ones, if even dared to commit atrocities unforgivable by the standard of Celestial Inquisition, then be prepared for certain death at the Altar of Damnation.

Constructed after the acquisition of the settlement, Hoofington, it is said to be the gate to Tartarus itself. The Archmagister's threat to tear it open is infamous, and she ordered a formal altar to be constructed to remind the populace of the hellish beings below their hooves.

The altar is used to execute criminals and prisoners when the authorities deemed that they are too much trouble to be a slave. Even though they know that it is death they are facing, many would commit suicide themselves to avoid going through the gruesome practices undertaken at the altar. Its steel grey color turned crimson red from all the flooding of certain bodily fluids.

Its steel grey color turned crimson red from all the flooding of certain bodily fluids...

Timbucktu
Once sacked by the ruthless changeling horde lead by the cunning Chrysalis a millennium ago, the staunch pegasi of Timbucktu will never forgive nor forget their nemeses. Equestria abandoned the cloud settlement, assuming its inhabitants all wiped out from the invasion.

What they didn't know is that there were survivors that rebuild the cloud settlement for generations up to this day. Though it is clear that their vengeance lies with the changelings inhabiting the unforgiving Wasteland, there are no evidence suggesting that they do not harbor hatred towards Equestria for abandoning their emotionless ancestors.

Continuously relocating, the city never stays in one place for long, roaming the Zebran Desert with occasional visits to Sweetwater Oasis. The oasis became bustling in trade and barter bought by the city. Though it may not look like one yet, Sweetwater Oasis will flourish and grow with no small credit to the nomadic city, Timbucktu.

:rainbowdetermined2: : FIENDship is Magic #5

I love this! I read every last one of these. So...complete!
Ever had any idea of an Undercity parallel of a Brazillian Favela?

Thank you! Though I can't consider any of them "complete" since describing actual appearances isn't my expertise. All I can do is let the reader imagine from the vague descriptions of what the location would look like... :ajsleepy:

I'll see to what I can come up with. Since this is in topic, in FIENDship is Magic #3, it just so happens that I noticed one of the cities' name, "Alexandraya". What do you think it is a pun of, except actual names of somebody..?

:rainbowhuh: : I'm thinking of dryad, but wouldn't that be better called "Alexandrya"..?

Gem Research Institute of Fillydelphia
Following the ancient manuscripts that was eventually restored into a codex found in one of the many uncovered archaeological dig sites of the ancient Earthborn civilization, the current Earthborn possesses one of its ancestor’s powers that made them prosper, Gemology.
Even when the archaeologists finally restored the codex, they still couldn’t figure out its cipher to decrypt its secrets, not until one of the Pie siblings, Limestone Pie, discovered the first step to a complete cipher with no small hints from a captured Nighthoof cell she personally busted, but that’s a tale for another time. She managed to compile the pieces together just enough to speculate the contents’ nature.
Due to the Pie Clan being in control of Earthborn archaeological operations, every artifacts uncovered and their analysis reports all end up in the Gem Research Institute of Fillydelphia. With so much work undergoing just to uncover one codex, the facilities of the institute can accommodate to analyze and keep records of anything of any complexity to further understand the ancient Earthborn.

Yes. YES. I knew this latest episode would add much needed canon lore!

I have to admit that I did abuse much of it. :twilightsheepish: I like the concept of multiple Kingdoms united rather than a single Kingdom, makes it more interesting, so I fit it in along with some of my own head-canons. Only the Holy Roman Empire came to mind when thinking of such confederacy. So, is there any more for your opinion?:duck:

Is it missing something?

Does it make much sense?

Using my perspective alone only limits it to myself. I want to see others' perspective as well, so I might gain some insights on ideas that are blinded to me by the nature of my chain of thoughts.

Mustangia
Far to the northeast past the Borderlands lie a vast, empty and unclaimed steppes ruled by no one, roamed by myriad. One of its regions is Mustangia, cold steppes roamed by equine cousins of the Equestrian earth ponies. These nomads graze and wander indifferent to countless of their neighbors.

Mustangians are well acquainted to the concept of warfare, their ancestors battled for scarce resources of the steppes until Equestrian intervention. The Celestial Sisters of Equestria issued infrastructures to be constructed on the lands of Mustangia to give these nomadic mustangs permanent home to live in, no longer to wander in the wilderness. When they disappeared, the settlement deteriorated into ruins along with the resulting chaos in Equestria. Mustangs of Mustangia leaned back to their nomadic way of life, divided into tribes, large and small, peaceful and warmongering.

Should any major power desires to control the landscapes of Mustangia, they must fight the fierce nomadic tribes of Mustangia. Should these tribes actually set aside their differences and unite as one, the resulting warband would be much more than possibly anything the Everfree has to offer.

Now, would someone with a mettle like the Genghis Khan step in, unite the tribes, and set out for world conquest, meeting the dreaded forces of Equestria Divided?

Canterlot Library
At the dawn of Moon and Star, the vaults of Canterlot were all teared open and archived by the eager scholars. The archives of the Canterlotian Mountains are meant to study these secrets locked-away by the Celestial Sisters. The Canterlot Library serves as the receiving end for these wisdom, both cracked and uncracked, all to be stored here.

The library is divided into three wings, two of which are shaped literally so and divided further into “feathers”. Its construction is of a scale akin to that of the colossal cathedrals, the greatest houses of worship built in Moon and Star.

Through its entrance is the Hall of Common Knowledge, formally known as Atrium Communia Scientiarum, where every fundamental wisdom are stored and to be studied by young eager students on their journey of scholarship.

The right wing stores both rational and technological breakthroughs that are responsible to Moon and Star’s arcanic constructs and advances. Many feathers of Ala Solaris are those achieved by diligent mages under Her Warmth.

The left wing, Ala Lunaris, contains spiritual and religious texts and relics considered to be sacred to some extent. As to the Sun, many of its feathers are the results of zeal and faith of the priests and priestesses of Her Moon.

The Cornu Stellaris slopes upward from the center, containing the most advanced, most complicated knowledge of Moon and Star. Though texts can be read by those who can read, the texts of the books stored in this wing may only be understood by experienced magisters, who are well acquainted with their journeys of seeking wisdom.

:twilightsmile: : A library in the capital of a scholar nation needs to be a bit special!

Deep Earth Mines
When it comes to building magical constructs, rare minerals are often their components, and they are mostly found deep under the land. Deposits empty, the mines of what would be called Deep Earth were destined to be abandoned. The discovery of new deposits lying deeper under them changed its fate. Deep Earth Mines currently supply most of the rare minerals that worth more than petty gems in the eyes of scholars.

Each at Deep Earth has a large specialized drill for the purpose of going deeper should the demand arises. Without a doubt, Moon and Star digs the deepest mines. A large contingent of slaves is assigned solely to dig for the minerals. The staggering amount of slave labor caught attention of the Celestial Inquisition, enough for them to send parts of their own to enforce the slave communities living and mining at Deep Earth.

:moustache: : Deep mines mean more workers than typical ones.

Basilicas
A Basilica is, in common sense, a fortified church. These structures serve as both a place of worship to surrounding believers of the Celestial Sisters and fortifications of their surroundings should enemies of Moon and Star lay siege to the settlement. Though their architecture are appreciated by commanders and soldiers alike in their time of need, visitors might not share the same point of view seeing their sanctuary decorated with battlements and war equipment.

The most common type of Basilica found in Moon and Star is called Basilica Minor. Often they were erected to replace decayed guard towers that may not withstand another offensive, though there are those that were converted from already present churches in the area.

As every holy places of Moon and Star are the Church’s by their own right, the only authority that is allowed to assume military control over these places without their permission is the Celestial Inquisition. Every Basilica Custos is renovated to be used by the Inquisition along with their military forces; disorder when they are this close is and will never be a good choice in life. The increase in size and garrison would result in better overall protection over the area.

Instead of being rebuilt entirely when defense isn’t the priority, with the Church’s support, the Basilica in question can be renovated to Basilica Pulchrum which retains the aesthetics worthy to be a church to the Celestial Sisters. Being a Basilica still, it is often necessary for the architects and the military engineers to implement some unorthodox defense systems in place to restrain the decors required to leave impressions to the visitors of the Basilica.

The largest Basilica ever built is no doubt the Basilica Magnum et Potens. Extravagantly decorated and virtually impregnable with no small factors from its tactical position, this Basilica serves as the headquarters of the Celestial Inquisition, being the place where every young Inquisitor are indoctrinated to be ruthless, to show no mercy, and to eradicate any hint of heresy. Should the shield of Canterlot fail, this Basilica will be the last bastion defending it.

The Garden of Roses
The pride and symbol of the Wild Roses, this area of the Forest they control is reserved to the plantation of Roses and production using them as ingredients. The most common rose colors to be found in the Garden are Red, Pink, Yellow, White; each having different alchemical properties known only to learned alchemists. The rarest of them all is without a doubt the Rainbow Roses, a recent discovery whose properties are still an enigma to the alchemists of the Wild Roses.

Rose thorns (though Moon and Star prefers to call them “prickles”) are to be shaved from the stems and be arrayed on the Forest’s floor as caltrops (Everfree Roses’ are relatively much larger in comparison to the Common Roses’) in the forefront of their territory, acting as the very first line of defense should their land be trespassed by the Earthborn and their burning machineries.

Perhaps the most famous produce (smuggled rather) from the Garden are Rose Oil and its by-product Rose Water. Created when rose petals are repeatedly distilled in a specialized still, the oil gained from roses are few and precious. Rose Oil are used for making perfumes to be used in special occasions. Needless to say that the nobles of Whitegold have high demands for this product, and are often smuggled out of the Forest, successfully in some cases. And the same can be said for Rose Water, with its distinct flavor makes it even more valuable than Earthborn Cider!

Its fruit, Rose Hips, are enjoyable fresh snacks that go well with many things to be eaten in the Everfree, especially herbal tea brewed with Rose Petals. Concerning alchemical uses, though being different in properties, every rose has a common effect, love. Rose is often used to brew highly potent Love Potions, of how the effect is defined depends on the very color of the rose.

Sunlit Forge
The Forges of Appleloosa are indeed impressive in scale, but their flames are mere embers compared to the scorching heat giving away from within the Sunlit Forge of the Sun Guild. Though larger Earthborn forges exist, none share the same characteristics as such of the Sunlit Forge. The forge harnesses not the heat from burning ashen timber, but rather the blessings from Her Sun.

An intricate device focuses sunlight down into a compact chamber where the accumulated heat are stored. A specialized bubble shield prevents the heat from escaping the mouth of the forge. Only Solsmiths of the Sun Guild know the formula of accessing the forge through this bubble shield, heating the metal bound-to-be-forged without creating too much gaps for precious light to escape.

Tower Blocks
Before the Schism, the architects of Manehattan created a concept which, with support from the capital and the Sisters, were made reality as we now see many erected in the fair city. The concept is simple, instead of expanding horizontally, we go up to the sky vertically. Tower Blocks are designed for maximum efficiency in terms of the precious space they occupied; which is why many, if not all, are cubic in shape.

Their application of flat rooftops in tight spaces allows the level to be traversed with the application of some acrobatics. To the disdain of their “official” occupants, many poor denizens of Manehattan took to themselves the level as their dwellings. At the present, many have been evicted and took residence in the recent hellhole, the Undercity; only few are left uncaught by the new authority of Manehattan named Whitegold.

Zap Apple Grove
Under the mystical vigilance of Her Watchful Eyes, the trees within the Zap Apple Grove are barred from all outsiders as their precious treasures as ordered by Lady Fluttershy. Once in every year, in the span of five days, the trees will bear their fruits, Zap Apples. The destruction of Old Ponyville included the Zap Apple Orchards planted by the Apple Clan many decades ago, marking the lost of one of the many treasured by those of Earthborn who once belonged there.

Since then, the only known source of Zap Apples, according to the Apple Clan, has always been within the Everfree. They offer great rewards for even a single seed from a fruit of it, for their guardians are instructed to never allow them or any of the Everfree be planted outside their premises, let alone be consumed by those untouched by nature.

The Sky Jewel
With acquired Pegasi technology and resources, Whitegold had created their greatest means of defending their great city from aerial threats. Whilst the Wall serves to deny the enemy from the ground, the Sky Jewel denies any that dares to enter the sky that is their killing field. Forming a ring around the Ivory Tower parallel to the Undercity that surrounds Manehattan, cloud supply routes cut in patterns similar to that of jewels, hence the name, to the Wall ensures that the defenders of the sky are well stocked with their equipment to perform their duties.

Behind the wall imposed by the Sky Jewel are cloud residences and garrisons alike, allowing more space for ground dwellers to accommodate as the Pegasi of Whitegold now move to the sky that is their very nature in the beginning. Should there be the need to do so, the Sky Jewel can descend to the Undercity thick fog to further confuse the besiegers that managed to broke into the death maze. Manehattan is now completely impregnable from the outside.

Blackpowder Grandworks
One of the first branches of the famous Engineer Guild and unlike its other sister branches, Blackpowder concentrates its influence solely in Cherry’s Dodge Junction mass-producing one of Earthborn’s volatile components to its machinations as its name implies, Black Powder. Producing anything in a large scale would require vast amounts of raw materials, the Blackpowder requires three essential ingredients: Everfree Charcoal, Salty Rocks, and Buffalon Brimstones.

Blackpowder employs laborers, with the protection of Earthborn military detachments, to cut down trees of the Everfree to be transported back to the Grandworks to be burned and smoked into Everfree Charcoal, high quality fuel that mysteriously lasts much longer than normal charcoals typically made from burnt woods of the Heartlands.

Salty Rock Mines are majorly supported by Blackpowder, and most, if not all, Salty Rocks are sent to the Grandworks to be used in the creation of Black Powder. In a way, due to the magnitude of influence they have there, Blackpowder controls the settlement called Salty Rock.

One of Buffalo Tribes’ major export to Earthborn is undoubtedly Buffalon Brimstones, or Yellowstones as they call them. These yellowish substances are vital components in Black Powder and are well-known for their unpleasant odor. Though Earth Ponies are also capable enough for the job, due to the Buffaloes’ experiences and nature, they are more suitable to harvest Yellowstones to be traded for essential goods for their respective tribe.

With their materials ready, the Grandworks then grind these three components together into a primitive form of Black Powder, adding water to form a paste, forcing the said paste down sieves, let out to dry, and ship them to the frontlines. Blackpowder employs an army of laborers to repeat these steps over and over again to ensure that Earthborn does not find Gunpowder lacking.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 41