The Musician's Group 21 members · 7 stories
Comments ( 20 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 20
Pinkie Primus
Group Admin

A thread to introduce yourself. Come on in and have a natter with all of us, we're all friends here.

To get us started, I'm Pinkie Primus, but you can call me Joe. I'm a UK brony in my first year of university where I am soon to start a band in which I will play bass. I also play guitar and viola and I'm into anything from funk to dubstep, heavy metal to classical et cetera... however, I personally can't stand indie bands along with most other things in the charts these days. I'm 19 years old but typing that last sentence made me feel a great deal older.

I look forward to seeing what you all have to say about yourselves.

Comment posted by Ceraph deleted Jan 11th, 2013
Martian
Group Admin

Martian is just this guy, you know?

Well, I'm a secretive, hermitic Canadian brony who loves real music. I wouldn't call myself a musician, though I have played a number of instruments over the years: trumpet, saxophone, guitar, bass, a brief love affair with the fiddle, and now a kalimba. I adore music, but for the good creativity I can produce for writing fiction, I have a very, very hard time trying to develop my own songs.

As to what music I am into; I bounce around a fair bit in my tastes, but I do have limits. Most pop music I dislike with white-hot passion, most rock irritates me, and metal I can only listen to very rarely, though I used to be very heavily into it. Rap and hip-hop gets on my nerves in a matter of seconds and the only country song I ever liked is Puscifer's 'Cuntry Boner', namely because it makes fun of country songs. Electronic is mixed-bag for me; dubstep is a big no, as are related types, though I still like melodic trance...

What I do like is solo acoustic guitar (Andy McKee, Van Larkins,) Gregorian chant, folk music (Great Big Sea, Natalie MacMaster,) and finely-crafted electronic (E Nomine, Enigma.) I do occasionally venture outwards with Red Hot Chili Peppers, Rammstein, King Crimson and a number of others, but I always return to the above.

I try not to hate on any genre of music, though sometimes I simply cannot help myself, usually because I find myself really disliking an artist's behaviour and attitude.

Pinkie Primus
Group Admin

Do you still play any of those instruments? If not, do you ever feel like picking them up again?

How do you feel about blues and blues-rock? I went to see a couple of bands in pubs this past week playing stuff from Stevie Ray Vaughan, The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Free, Pink Floyd etc... it was great to see it live!

Hi. I'm a Chinese vocalist from Asia. Due to my day job, I can't really say more about myself but I do play instruments as a hobby. Over the years I've picked up how to play the ocarina, the guitar, the sanshin, the drums, and a few other wind instruments.

And most of these aren't from Guitar Hero! =D

However, my key lies in singing, I have had vocal training as a child and have expanded it to a unique singing voice.

I love every kind of music except, and yes, people are going to hate me for this one, death metal or heavy metal. I also hate certain kinds of rap, but for the most I'm ok with it.

Otherwise, it comes and goes. If I like it I like it, and if I don't I don't. Fusion is the best for me, I love seeing how different styles coalesce and things being done in the ways of other countries.

My favourite band is Rip Slyme. I also love They Might Be Giants, Oingo Boingo, and Michael Jackson. I also have an intense collection of DISNEY SONGS, numbering over 300 covers from all over the world in different styles.

And I hate you, because as an artist, I'm moody.

Pinkie Primus
Group Admin

I'm glad you put a link in to show what a sanshin is! I have something very similar but a lot smaller I bought for pennies from Thailand but I never knew what it was called.

As a guy that occasionally enjoys some heavy/death metal, I don't hate you for disliking it, it isn't for everybody I guess.

And I love you, because I don't class myself as an artist (yet), so I'm not too moody :rainbowlaugh:

In the Madness of the brave and the cheerful,
In the Sadness of the Grave and the fearful.
In the company of the gay and the merry,
From the humble halls to the airy eyrie.

Hello, I'm a gringo Yucatec Mexican and I like to think of my self as a musician, though I have no noticeable skill. I'm a sesquipedalian and am currently in love with my 24 bass, G to 2C accordion.

My father was extremely musical, being a captain and a Marine Surveyor and I take after him.

I principally play piano, though I also amble on the accordion. I'm currently focussing more on the latter so I can play in public and on ships etc. However, I have played a ridiculous amount of other instruments in my life, none of which I'm particularly good at any more. Ranging from Cello to Sopranino saxophone, Recorder to Soprano Sax and from Alto Sax to Violin and Panpipes (Mexican/South-american, not greek.) to Marimbas.

I mostly enjoy improvising, as I have a hard time reading musical notation, I'm currently pretending to try to improve on that weak aspect. I also sing, have done so for all my life but only recently started taking exams for grades.

I dabble in composition and currently my favourite Key is G minor.

That is all. For now anyway.

In Dementia Fortes et Hilares!

Hah! I actually have a set of panpipes. I could not play that to save my life. I do, however, rather love the Peruvian Flute. I love the hollow wispy sound of it, like the empty space between my ears.

FUNNY SEEING YOU HERE.

Pinkie Primus
Group Admin

I had a friend that tried to pick up the accordion once, I played the track below with him but he never went any further than that.

I'm okay at reading music but I'm trying to brush up on my improvisation, the opposite to you :rainbowlaugh:

Martian
Group Admin

I hate you with the burning passion of fifteen blazing suns.

:heart:

I freely admit I can't read notes at all. All my early-day training was lost to the seas of my wandering mind.

I fart in your eyes!

Panpipes is actually the one instrument I'm still capable of playing... I think, I haven't tried in a few years...

TO MEXICO!

I'm a high school-age (sophomore) trombone player who's primary strengths lie in orchestral and soloistic types of playing, but I also do a little bit of singing on the side (they are very similar instruments, after all).

I literally like ANY AND ALL kinds of music - the only kinds that I don't like that much are punky screamo and main-stream country.

As a whole, I would say that 85% of my creative writing ideas come from music.
For example, the current fic that I'm working on was inspired by Eric Whitacre's Sleep, as well as The OST's to Flower and Journey (both very good games from Thatgamecompany).

I only wish that I had some decent recording equipment :fluttershysad:

Pinkie Primus
Group Admin

Make sure to put those fics in the group folders here if they're musically inspired!

Recording equipment was enough of an effort to sort out for my bass, I don't really want to imagine the faff you'd have to go through for a decent setup for trombone or singing! Wish I could help you out in those respects but I really don't know enough about it to make a useful suggestion...

Really active group, eh?

Anyway, my internet name is MrDenim. My real name is not needed. I'm an E-flat Alto Saxophone player hailing from Kentucky. I've been playing since the sixth grade, and am currently in tenth, so I've been playing for roughly five years now.

I, unfortunately, don't have any recording equipment on me, but in my spare time, I make music on FL Studio 10 and using the ReFX Nexus 2 plug-in with the Dance Orchestra expansion. (Lotsa fun!)

Pinkie Primus
Group Admin

Aye I wish it were more active, so sorry it took me a while to see this, welcome!

What kind of sax do you play? I know a couple of saxophonists constantly at war because one of them is more classically inclined, while the other is amazing with jazz and blues and crazy improvisation solos, both of them claiming their style is what the saxophone was made for. Me, I enjoy both!

None of that studio/nexus malarkey made any sense to me to be honest. I know very little about that kind of stuff but I still find it pretty cool, I used Sibelius for my music GCSE compositions, maybe I'll learn some more about all this cool stuff at some point...

I'm an E-flat Alto Saxophone player hailing from Kentucky.

E-flat Alto Saxophone

Pinkie Primus
Group Admin

Yeah I got that. Guess I should have said what style of music?

930781 I'm in concert band, so pretty much anything without strings.

Pinkie Primus
Group Admin

Ah that's cool, I always envied the swing band at my school which I was unable to join, being a string player myself.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 20