Authors Helping Authors 2,464 members · 8,633 stories
Comments ( 26 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 26

It's called A For Effort and it's for all the authors out there who are looking to get some recognition for their hard work, whether it be good, or bad

How does it work? Like, how does it vary from this group and its functions?

go take a look, I've written down everything you need to know on the group's page :pinkiehappy:

I did, and I have to say, I don't really agree with the "reward for participation" or "A for effort" philosophy. I don't mean to belittle you or your work in creating this group, I just feel that people need to realize that its not easy, and it takes diligence, patience, and hard work. There are no easy tickets. Hope you understand.

I have joined.

I do, but I still think people deserve some recognition for spending there time writing down their stories. This is supposed to be more of a nudge than a free ticket, hope you understand at least a little of where I'm coming from, but it's fine if you don't. just don't join if you don't agree :twilightsmile:.

I understand. I just think there is a difference between recognition and praise. Well, be seeing ya. :moustache:

ok, maybe recognition is a little strong, more like a pat on the back. see ya :moustache:

1101626 Recognition for work that's either good or bad? Just stick with recognizing good writing and helping with bad. Otherwise you'll end up encouraging lazy writing since people would realize they could get some recognition for the least amount of work.

Maybe, but they still have to get past the moderators, so it can't be to bad, also, they won't get that much recognition, just enough to be noticed by the general population where they can be judged by the masses as either yay or nay, instead of a possible jewel of an idea/story going unnoticed for months, before someone uncovers it and it gets better... But the author may have lost interest by that time and doesn't continue :fluttershysad:

Submit stories at 3AM, I managed to get my Pile o' Poo 1chapter onto the freaking featured box waaaaaay back in the day simply because it got approved... at 3AM CST. Since then I haven't dumped any of my work, and I lost all 14 midnight-followers from those 2 hours of featurebox fame. Just saying, you can get pretty lucky, fimfiction is not exactly hard to publish in. :unsuresweetie:

Yea, but I know some people who got dragged through the bottom of troll trench before they got any recognition for their work :raritydespair:. It was terrible, my main goal with this group is that I just want to make that stop happening, that's not so bad, is it?

1102495 It's not. Had this new group been created back when I first started writing my first story, I'd have joined in a heartbeat.

The problem is discerning if someone has truly worked hard on their story or just half-assed it.

But that's what I'm trying to do, get the stories popular enough that, the masses spare it a glance, then it will be either judged well, or rejected, based on its quality

1102539 What story parameters do you have?

what do you mean? To be in the group?:applejackunsure:

Unfortunately what tends to happen with groups like this, because they have happened quite a bit in the past, is that they become primary targets for trolls because they are designed to counter trolls. Lesson to be learned: if it already exists, and is already being attacked, you might not want to make another one to "avoid being attacked".

I see, I definitely see what your saying, my story already got another down-vote... I knew this might happen, but I will persist in the face if almost certain annihilation!
Want to join?

1101626 I don't know about this...

Reading the story and giving a review or comment is also encouraged, but not necessary.

So it doesn't matter if the group members actually read the story or not? Every story that gets added there is supposed to receive a bunch of upvotes from the members of the group?

If the group members actually do what they are supposed to, won't it end up sending stories to the Feature Box that don't deserve it? And won't it mean that everyone who is not part of your group and doesn't have a bunch of people who are upvoting their story without even reading it are put at a disadvantage?

Ok... ... ... ... Sorry, I've been doing damage control for the past 3 hours...
I have found... that trolls are everywhere, and they troll anti-trolls with vigor...
And to answer your question, read this:

I wish you the best of luck, but as an author who really doesn't give two shits as to how many likes/dislikes I get on stories, I really don't see myself contributing much to your group. My greatest regret to this day (from fimfic) is posting that damned story I did, because I wrote it in a fit of rage, and apparently got people intrigued enough to follow, and then let them down because I'm not usually an angry enough person to keep writing in that style.

IMO, if you are in this for the fame, you are in the wrong mindset. Sure, people who sell out to their audiences can become famous, but they don't ever truly "make it". Look at any trend-setters, and you will see people who stuck to their guns through thick and thin. I send most of my work to people in private because most of my stories are written on personal levels, or for very specific prompts, and not to self-promote.

Ask me again in 4 months when I start putting the finishing touches on my current >100k work, but I'm fairly certain I will still be quite aloof on the matter. :twilightsmile:

:moustache: for luck.

K, thanks.
I'm not in it for any fame, I just wanted to help out new authors
Also, I'm making some big changes, check tomorrow afternoon and see if your still uninterested

Didn't mean to imply that you were. I'm fairly certain that your intentions are sincere... I was just questioning the logic behind the group as it stood, because presently it appears, to me anyways, to be a potential platform for negative reinforcement and trolling.

As per my usual stance in such activities, I will keep my opinion open, and will await to see these changes.

1102633 Nah, like do you limit the group to certain types of stories? Some groups, for example, won't have HiE stories since there are so damn many and picking out the goo from the bad can be a burden.

Hmm, well I'm trying to give everyone a fair shot, so no restrictions yet... Big changes coming though, so just look tomorrow.
Yea, that's what I'm trying to prevent right now, look tomorrow to see the changes

Hey! I fixed it! Give it a look and tell me what you think now :pinkiehappy:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 26