Authors Helping Authors 2,462 members · 8,593 stories
Comments ( 7 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 7

The title says it all. Basically, I wrote a story and completed it near the time of the site's beginning, and despite being my first ever completed story, and a HiE no less, the story proved to be a modest success. I naturally wanted to follow up this story with others, and when I began publishing the sequel in March, I hope that it would prove just as successful. Despite my pre-publishing promotions, joining as many groups as fit to the story, and being of much better quality of writing, the sequel I've spent much more time thinking out has been outclassed by the original, even though I've tried my hardest to make it as easy to come aboard without prior knowledge to my first work. What can I do to make a wider reach for a larger audience? How can I attract more viewers who may stick around to the end of my epic? If there is any advice you all could give me, I'd deeply appreciate it.

For posterity, here is a link to the story. Comment if you like; I'll certainly be sure to reply!
A Journey Unthought Of: Revival of Chaos

well what i did was the sequel to my first and most successful epic Dark Libra was Never Forgiven. I asked around with some of my followers and i did a casting call for Oc's. My friends and followers spread the news shortly after. After that i had posted it on other sites and the followers of my friends and the people with the oc's help get the word out to other sites. In face we are linking stories we have together and forming a world around them. The fans seem to love it. all of them filter it here and all of my stories are getting now views here and on Fanfiction.

If I learned anything, sequels are not as popular as the original. My own sequel has far less favorites and is nowhere near as popular as the first, but that's no big deal.

Linking the sequel to the original always helps, since many fans of the first often miss that there is a sequel. Also, worrying about popularity won't really get you anywhere as most readers wait for it to finish before reading it so they can read the original and the sequel in one go.

All in all, don't stress the popularity. If you get viewers and those who stick with you, the sequel is a success.

Edit: My story is The Golden Armor and it's sequel, Part II.

Unfortunately Comet is right. my sequel is doing well, but it is no where near as popular to its original. I don't think it ever will but i take pride in knowing it is still being read by others and at least on person likes it enough to finish it. That's all we can ask as authors right. :ajsmug:

vren55
Group Admin

1038587 1038264
Actually... it depends...
Sometimes... I've heard a user talking about (he's in this group) about his sequel actually getting more popular than his original, and actually making his 'original' popular. :D

My suggestion: Try posting a chapter with the link to the sequel in the original.

:duck: In this group, you say?

Darn tootin' :eeyup:

Thanks for that advice! I will be needing some characters later on to fill a crowd, so I just might try that.

Linking the sequel to the original always helps, since many fans of the first often miss that there is a sequel. Also, worrying about popularity won't really get you anywhere as most readers wait for it to finish before reading it so they can read the original and the sequel in one go.

I hadn't considered that at all! I got a feeling that this is going to take a while to get thtough, as I'm expecting that it's going to be over 100k words long. You're right on the issue of popularity too, it's just I've been stuck at around 151 views for the past couple of weeks, so it feels like no one new is really coming in or being interested in the story. Guess I'll just have to soldier on! I'll also be sure to take a look at your two stories as well at some point.

Thank you very much for your advice!

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 7