The Unity Games 103 members · 1 stories
Comments ( 256 )
  • Viewing 51 - 100 of 256

606563 ((I actually do, 146tym. Though my upload speed is terrible on dial up... Let's try to specify our kinetic reference frames in the future. :twilightsmile:))

((As an Aerospace Major, I'm going to default to the Three Dimensional Coordinate System. Would you prefer polar or cartesian coordinates?))

606662 ((I think I'll go Cartesian. Polar always kind of threw me. Give me good old XYZ anyday. Though, I might have gotten them backwards. I'm terrible with names :twilightsheepish:))

((XYZ is correct. Thoughts on just making it a barrel roll and having me work from there instead of going back to the old crash-into-staff bit? My original thought was that I should go to where I would have begun my reasoning sequence, but if we just assume it was a barrel roll, it'll be easier on the retcons.))

606746 ((Agreed, and don't forget to clear your old reaction posts. Though, in retrospect, after you went into a barrel roll, I would have still thrown up the shield... which is a post I just deleted :facehoof: Aaaand I'm not sure I have it saved in any form <.< Balls.))

((Ah! Nevermind, it's saved in the PM I had judged :rainbowlaugh:))

((Meh, It's okay. Just don't delete the outline posts))

((HAHAHAHAHA!!! We can has recap!!!))

Following a series of miscommunications, the contestants are retconning their posts. The action so far:

Upon a shallow diving attack from Storm Blitz, True Path set his staff spinning perpindicular to both the ground and himself, so it was as though it was a wheel and he was staring through the axle.

Storm Blitz responded to this with a barrel roll, aiming to loop over the staff and slash at True Path's head with the head of his polearm.

In response to this, True Path conjured a shield that was angled down, so that when the polearm struck the shield, it would hit the dirt, and you'd either crash or be pole vaulted.

Now comes Storm Blitz's response....

[Reaction]
Storm Blitz swore colorfully, dropping his polearm immediately and drawing his warhammer. With a twitch, he rolled back up and let himself drop, his momentum carrying him just past True Path's position and well within hoofreach.

[Attack]
And thus, Storm whirled and sent a hammer strike at True Path's knee joint. The 1.2 kg head traveled quickly, Storm Blitz's adequate strength (Str. Level: B) and agility (Agi. Level: S) allowing him to bring the weapon to bear with above average speed.

((Approved by Chainlinc3))
((We seem to be sending our posts that way a lot))
-----

((Right, so 3D Cartesian:

Assume that True Path is your origin, with his legs standing 1 unit to the positive and negative x and y axes. Z is the vertical axis. Your maximum height is +4 in the z-axis. Storm Blitz has just traveled at approximately 5.5 units in the z-axis on a vector parallel to your body's axis of symmetry, folded his wings and rolled upright, and drawn his warhammer, before landing two units with his hindhooves two units away from your hindhooves. He then whirls to attack your hindhooves with his hammer, which is 3 units long. Is that clear?))

606895 ((yes, it is. But out of curiosity, which way are you swinging, and who approved the post?))

((Shit, sorry. Swinging parallel to the ground from my right to my left. Approved by Chainlinc3. And YES THANK GOD. You have no idea how much I screw up explanations sometimes if I don't have drawn diagrams...))

607012 ((Ah, dang, looks like he's off. I might have to get a different judge, what do you think?))

((Is cool. Medicshy is on, he usually does good work.))

[Reaction] True's expression relaxed as the polearm embedded itself in the ground, growing more sour as Storm Blitz sailed over him. He dropped his barrier and staff as he followed the pegasus with his eyes, readying another shield spell. As Storm drew his warhammer and swung, True cast his shield. However, rather than cast it to block the blow, he cast it right up against the pegasus' back slightly to the side, blocking his forehooves path through the swing, but not the hammer head proper.

[Attack]
As he conjurs the shield, True turns to charge at Storm, attempting to ram him moderately with his horn, not hard enough to damage either horn or armor.

((Approved by Medicshy))

[Reaction] Storm recovered from the block easily enough, the manticore leather bracers on his forehooves cushioning the blow.

[Attack] As such, he was able to respond to True Path's charge with a hard and fast overhead blow aimed for the face and horn.

((Approved by Crafter))
((That was... an underwhelming post.... Oh well!))

[Reaction] "Wrong." True declares with a smirk as Storm readies his swing.

[Attack] With a flare of his horn, he fires a point blank magic stun blast directly at Storm, trusting the impact to rob his hammer swing of its power.

((Approved by _Medicshy))
((Short post for me as well, but when you've got your horn pointed at a pony who's committed to an overhead hammer swing, not much is needed.))
((Also, on a minor note, I'm not sure if stun spells affect health or stamina officially. I think they functionally affect health for ease of judging, but there's a case for stamina penalties as well, as if your stamina hits zero, you're basically done anyway...))

607240 ((Bounced a PM to _Medicshy on what the alternate effects of a stun spell would be. I'm thinking either stamina penalty or agility penalty. I'll see what he says.

It only seems fair as a fire spell might ignite you, or an ice spell numb you.))

((Oh you BASTARD. I would propose that stun spells cause a temporary Agility Debuff by -3 levels, actually.))

607428 ((I'd vote that they cause an agility debuff based on INT minus WILL. Partly because that matches with the rules, and partly because that's wildly in my favor. Plus it gives high will characters a way to avoid being chain-stunned.))

((Like you're about to be without agility. :trollestia:))

((Whose INT and whose WILL though? And I have more than just agility! :derpytongue2: ))

607428 ((_Medicshy's ruling is -1 Agility for X turns, where X=INT-WIL. Effect does not stack, but a second hit during the duration of a debuff makes you lose your reaction next turn. However, this effect only occours once per application.))

((Is it your Int minus Will then? Or is it mine? I'm a little confused...))

607502 ((Int affects power of magic, so my int. And Wil affects resistance, so your will. Basically, you're getting pretty much the max duration.))

((Bleh. Okay, important questions to be asked:
1. How is this blast fired? Is it supposed to be a flashbang or what?
2. What does it look like as it's being fired?))

607525 ((It's twilight's beam attack from "a canterlot wedding". A rapid fire concussive beam with stunning properties. It's fired from the horn like a... well laser blast. So basically you got shot point blank from a horn aimed at you. I would guess that you can fire it any direction from the horn, though directly forward seems to be favored. I forget if Celestia fired her laser at an angle... though that was a different spell, i think the same basics apply.))

((Okay.... I think I can work with that....))

607537 ((Important note, _Medicshy and I got to talking about the stun spell debuff, and I noticed that low will characters actually had an advantage, as the long duration of their Agility debuff meant that they were better protected against the [reaction] loss effect than medium will characters, as the [reaction] loss only triggers once per agility loss. Their debuff basically shielded them.

So, to re-balance things, characters with a difference of -3 Will to Int. (C Will or lower to S int) would suffer a -2 penalty to agility, as well as being able to be stunned twice per agility debuff. Obviously, this is relevant to you, so I thought I should throw it in so you'll get it tomorrow when you post.))

((Several questions:
1. I don't understand what you mean by "stunned twice per agility debuff". Could you please explain?
2. What sort of effect does the stun spell give? What does it look like? Are there any temporary reaction debuffs? How long is the duration? How does it effect my senses? Is there any knockback?
3. Why not just say that if your difference between Willpower and Intelligence is greater than three, you suffer a -2 penalty to Agility for the same number of turns as the difference between your Willpower and your opponents Intelligence? Why is there a recurring debuff?))

((Please answer is quickly as possible! Thanks!!))

608317 ((Lucky you, I'm on now. First though, what are your dueling times today?))

((
1) Okay, so, as the spell was originally designed by medicshy, it applied an agility debuff. However, if you were shot a second time DURING that agility debuff, you lost your reaction on the next attack. Basically, you'd be too disoriented to respond to an incoming attack, though you could still make an attack that turn.
NOW, the odd problem with this, is that the [loss of reaction] effect only triggers once per agility debuff. So, I hit you once for the agility debuff, then I hit you again to stun you next turn... and then all subsequent spell hits do nothing special. The problem with this was, that for a low Will character, their agility debuff lasted a long time, meaning I could only apply the stun effect rarely, while on a higher will character, their agility debuff would run out faster, allowing me to refresh it and stun them again faster. I could stun a WIL B character more often than a WIL D character, which makes no sense.
So, _Medicshy and I agreed that characters with -3 different in willpower to intelligence, suffer an enhanced -2 to agility, and can be stunned twice during their agility debuff, to allow of an even rate of stunning despite the much longer duration.

2) From True Path, the spell would be a burst of a golden beam of light, as gold is his magic color. The spell impacts with a concussive force, enough to knock a changeling off their feet, but like beanbag rounds with a shotgun it's not intended to cause serious blunt trauma. The duration we discussed in the effects, but if you're talking about of the spell itself, then it's a short spell, as fast as firing a gun would be: zap, then it's over. It affects your sense of balance and orientation in a manner similar to how a concussion would, as again, I'm basing this off "A canterlot wedding" where it was shown to stun a changeling in much the same manner one might expect the changeling to be stunned if it had had a piano dropped on its head. Of course, with _medicshy's ruling, this disorientation would manifest first as your penalty to agility, then subsequently as being too disoriented for a [reaction] phase.

3) Medicshy went with the recurring debuff. This was in lieu of the agility debuff stacking on itself. As I proposed it originally, you'd get -1 agility for X turns, but getting hit again would add another -1 agility for X turns, meaning that multiple hits would pile up, until you were carrying around a -5 agility all the time, though this would go down as various debuffs expired. _Medicshy preferred the stun debuff instead.

((Holy shit I wasn't expecting you to be online!!!!!! I'm going to be free until 6:15 PM today.))

((OKAY, that makes sense. I was really confused and thought you were saying that I got stacked debuffs for each turn, which made no sense but yeah. Gimme a few to post and find a judge.))

[Reaction]
Storm Blitz yelped as he was knocked backwards, rocking onto his rear hooves as the stunning spell caught him full in the chest. Luckily, the concussive shot hit him straight in the cuirass, leaving him mostly unscathed. The flash of the spell did effect him, and he wasn't sure if he even managed to hit the damn unicorn. He held onto the hammer though, as would any trained soldier.
As Storm reeled, the world swirled, and he found that he definitely was finding it difficult to tell where he was going. Fortunately, it wasn't horrendously powerful, and he felt that he could definitely fly in a straight line at speed ((Agility Debuff for 4 turns: -2. Currently, Storm has Agility "B".))

[Action]
Still, he may have lost his chance and would absolutely be unable to do any of his fancy tricks, running away was still definitely an option. Gritting his teeth, Storm Blitz flared his wings and jumped away, flying up, then folding them and letting himself drop behind a particularly large boulder to regain his wits. He rummaged in his pack and pulled out a pepper grenade as he held his position and silently cursed not taking that magic-resistance training course.

((Approved by: SwiftEthan))

((Shit! Thanks for the reminder! It's there now. ))

608493 ((Crap! You're free UNTIL 6:15? Dammit, I was not prepared for this. Hang on and let me see if I can get consistent online time now. I was expecting you to be on in the evening, when I'm not competing with outside callers.))

((Update! No worries! I'm good to go until 6:15!))

((Hey, to clarify, how are we counting posts for the duration of my stunning? Because I would really like for it to be number of inchracter posts from both of us...))

608736 ((I think your agility debuff counts down on your turns, not both of ours, as our movements are assumed to be in parallel. Besides, it doesn't actually affect my abilities, it only affects what you can do, so it doesn't make sense for it to count when it has no impact on the game.))

((Cool. I expected something along those lines, but wanted to be sure.))

[Reaction]
True Path watched Storm retreat, a satisfied expression on his face. "And that's why I don't use a warhammer." Admittedly, if the pegasus had dropped the hammer, it probably would still have nailed True in the back, but luckily the hammer was worth more to the pony than a hit. Speaking of weapons, he flared his horn to recover his staff.

[Action]
Now that he had the advantage, he casts his summoning, feeling the heavy drain of magic on his reserves. It appeared in a flash of golden light, hovering above his head. True didn't bother to look, keeping his eyes on the boulder. "Hey. You look different."
"I told you I would."
"Fair enough, and my powers?"
"As we discussed."
"Good, then I think I've got this match sewn up."
"Party time?"
True grinned. "Party time."

((Approved by: Chainlinc3 pending razorbeam approval))

((Since you've not yet got an attack, is it safe to assume that I can make a move if I wish?))

609028 ((Yeah, I'm just using my turns to get myself all situated, go right ahead))

608988 ((*sewn unless you're metaphorically flinging seeds around for planting))

609081 ((How are you enjoying the match?))

[Reaction]
Storm Blitz was no fool ((int. A)). He needed to move. Now. Looking around the battlefield, he made some quick observations.

First, the boulders were EVERYWHERE, and the particularly large one he'd hidden behind was about 10 yards from the enemy position. Scattered around him were several more large ones, the smallest of which could easily hide a sitting pony from attack.

Second, Spires jutted up everywhere as well, and many of them were quite close together. They seemed to be made of the same material as his boulder.

Third, the terrain was grassy. The ground was, in fact, populated with grass that reached up to halfway up his bracers. It seemed to be fairly healthy and a bit damp, which could be attributed to diffusion from the various nearby pools.

Peering straight ahead and, locking his sight on a boulder just a tad taller than he was, he slowly crept forwards, weapons sheathed, ears flicking for any sign of pursuit. ((Since this is my reaction....)) There was none, his enemy too wrapped up in conversation to attack at the moment. Soon, he had managed to shelter behind the rock and looked around for a better hiding place...

[Action]
...and found it in a nice spire group to his left. Checking his enemy for movement, he began to slink from boulder to boulder, moving quickly to avoid being seen but making sure not to rustle the long grass. A variety of stones of different shapes and size helped matters along, as his toast-colored coat blended in somewhat with the yellowish-brown of the stones. Using his remaining agility (Agi. B), he hoped to make his way silently across the field to the spire group.

((Will be leaving in 20 minutes, but will be back on after 10:00 PM))
((Approved by Chainlinc3))

609113 ((I think I'm going to have fun this next post, as A: You're wearing armor. And B, I'm assuming you holstered your warhammer as you didn't explicitly drop it. Since a side holster would drag in the dirt, you're wearing it on your back. Now reflect briefly on trying to slink unnoticed with a large, reflective metal object on your back.))

((Incorrect, warhammers are typically sheathed alongside the hip with humans. This means that, for a pony, it's sheathed on the side of the torso, on the right hand side, with the head facing down at a thirty degree angle. The polearm would be across the back. Furthermore, while front line troops tend to have highly polished armor and weaponry, Storm Blitz is part of the 1st Hussar Seekers, which I based off of Napoleonic Fusiliers in conjunction with Hussars. Fusiliers units used rifles and skirmished by staying in cover, and Hussars generally provided screening actions or scouting actions. Both of those require high degrees of discipline and stealth. Combine this with Germaney and its terrifying creatures that would be attracted to shiny objects, and the result is intentionally buffed/blackened weapons and armor. Now, you MAY see the handle, but this isn't going to be very prominent and he's still got the training and experience to know how to move with all his gear on him. So. ))

609214 ((Okay, one last problem. The arena is filled with sand and rocks, and no boulders, according to the picture. :trollestia:))

• Viewing 51 - 100 of 256