World-Building Alliance 2,164 members · 841 stories
Comments ( 2 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 2

So this is a forum making, discussing abt possible countries, creatures, culture, and inspirations for MLP. Please note: that this is my headcanon/worldbuilding on MLP. There could be other worldbuilding discussions just as good.
Also to note, some of these have references to IDW which is opinionated to non-canon, but this is my headcanon so I can do whatever I want.

First creature: Kirins
Just to also note: most of my country inspiration for Kirins are based on Japan, so I might not know how the other East Asian countries work.

Kirin: basic definition being an ox/horse/goat with scaly/draconic features but the series show them with pony base. Got this idea from a TV Tropes page refarding kirins and several other fanfics it referenced. Since kirins originate in the general East Asia countries (Japan, China, Vietnam, Korea, idk wat else), their homeland could a combination of all of them that I named, "坚春" - Jiān Chūn, which translates to "Persevering Spring".
Side note: there's also the existance Eastern Dragons as opposed the series Western dragons, which I will discuss in later post.

The name has its references due to their kirin magic affecting the land. No matter what season, the flower and some of them plant life never seem to wilt, even during the winter. The kirins see it as beauty and strength persevering even harsh times, hence the name. Its also a reference to kirins in mythology unable and unwilling to hurt any living creature. And like the Everfree Deers from IDW, they have a connection with nature, just not as passionate/gungho or prideful. Their homeland is also in the form of an archipelago, mimicking Japan a bit.

Twisting canon version, Kirins are unable to shoot magic like unicorns. They can levitate, charm, and enchant but they cant directly outpit their magic into a lazerbeam. Instead, their prefer to use alchemy (which I still trouble defining how to actually use), potions (think of Asian herbs and salves) or manipulate nature. Think of the Everfree Deers, using salves and potions to control vines. A side-effect of using their magic, other than glowing horns, is their scales having a glowing effect. Making the Kirins more accurate, they would be born with either 1 or 2 horns.
Going a bit by mythical origin, the Kirins can sense lies and truth - exlcuding lie of omission - which is what stems their "listen to your elders" mindset. They have this ability once they reach puberty.

Like ponies, they're herbivores.

Strictly speaking, the kirins dont have a single figuer ruling all of them, but they live in provinces that are governed by their own minister who governes their needs, trade, etc. Their ministor's would gather for a summit either after 3 or 6 moons to discuss their affairs and events. Most of their villages and towns are built semi-isolated forests, excluding the province capitals, which are built wide in the open with open pride. Its not actually a rule and more of their traditional lifestyle of living in hidden places.

Most towns and villages are led by a council but some of them appoint a village/town lord as well. Going stereotypically Asian, they have the traditional "listen to your elders" trope and a noble House/Clan system.
Jiān Chūn have never established relationships with other nations. It's mostly out of their isolationist lifestyle, no general need nor insterests to do so, and, secretly by the Council, out of ego and superior mindset. The latter is somewhat downplayed, tho. However, they have heard rumors abt them.

My headcanon is that the series Kirin are immigrants or refugees from their homeland during a time of war.

If you have any ideas, feel free to post

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 2