MLP: Motherhood is Magical 2,658 members · 1,554 stories
Comments ( 13 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 13

This has more to do with parenthood than motherhood,
I just wanted to post this here for people to judge my HC on how I write twilight and Shining's mom and dad.
The purpose of this is to judge it based on originality, interest, etc.

It all started out with Twi's dad, Moonlight Sparkle (a reference to M. Night. Shamalyan) who was a good for nothing guy who was going to a community college to become an indy film director.
One day, he sees Twilight's mom, Twilight Velvet, and falls in love.
She was enrolled at a prestigious science college, but failed her basic Economics class, and needed to retake the class to continue in the next year (She is brilliant, but terrible with money). Instead of wasting money retaking it at her old school, she decided to go to community college and take a summer class to save time and money.

She is not interested in Moonlight because she think he is a bum and a waste of time because she doubts that he is going to do anything with his life.

Moonlight, to get closer to twilight, lies and says that he changed his major to econ and would be willing to tutor her for free. She agrees and tells him to meet her the next day.

Moonlight does his special talent and literally learns the basics of economics in the span of a night in order to keep up his lie.
He eventually does change his major, and uses the tutoring sessions to date Velvet, and the get married.

They eventually have a family together, but their lives get harder when Equestria has a recession. Velvet keeps her dream job and works as a senior researcher for M-Rad (basically Equestria's version of Daarpa) where she can do all sorts of science shit, but Moonlight can only find a job as an adjunct professor of economics for a small college.

One night, during a night class, Moonlight has a guest listen in on his lecture and is approached by an official. the Princess was having an investment conference to convince people to invest in the weakened economy and was going to have an economist speak to the invitees but got terribly sick and he was the only person they could find.

Long story short, Moonlight doesent know it, but he wins over all of the investors because they can relate to him. One thing leads to another, and goes from adjunct professor to the Princess' economic advisor, fixes the economy, and finally becomes the Chief governor of the Equestrian Federal Reserve.

So, how does that sound? I wanted to show how they were both smart in their own ways (Velvet has intellect while Moonlight has social skills) while keeping them both somewhat different.
Personally, I think the comics with Velvet being a writer and whatever-his-real-name-is being the previous captain of the Royal guards is just... to be blunt, boring.

I think my friend you have the background ready for a fic.

I haven't given much thought to either of them, ok I haven't give much thought to Night Light (I think so far he has no confirmed canon name). Twilight Velvet on the other hand... let's see she is currently the Archivist of the Concordiat, been knighted by Celestia, and co-writes the Daring Do series. I am also tempted to say that she is a lot older than she appears and may have been part of the Royal Marines.

This is the general background I use for the Sparkle family (Velvet being a scientist is based off another fic).

But yes, this is the basis for "How Twilight's dad saves Equestria". It starts where Moonlight is doing his night class and has an interloper listen in.

It contains some continuity errors, but in general it is susposed to be a simplication of econ for people who don't understand it.

2546970 by the way, seems like I havent seen you in a while, been busy?

Writer because it's canon, archivist to pay the bills, and a marine because I have a fascination with making everyone part of the military. She may or may not have served with a much younger Granny Smith during the last Equestria-Prance War.

in general it is susposed to be a simplication of econ for people who don't understand it.

Which is nearly everyone, including people who are supposed to understand it

I work closing for retail, I don't get home until at least 11:30. And some of the topic seem to be repeating themselves

2546901 The dad's name is Nightlight not Moonlight

2546901 Good,but you go a bit Mary Sue with having him being the hero. And becoming head of the Equestrian Federal Reserve? No. Celestia has been around too long to fall for central banks, she knows they rob the population blind. Also, they use precious metals and stones as currency, not paper. (rant over)
Over all it's a good back story but don't make her parents too successful.

I can agree with articuno

I myself tend to see them as negectful. I mean come on. You've never seen them show up to any of her stuff. Did they even show at her coronation? I dunno and am far, far to lazy to sit and look through that ep again.

2547681 it only sounds suish because i dont go into detail.

I of course go with the canon ,but do make up some head canons for stories.

I like it, make sure to let the group know when you release this, if you do.:heart:

2548865 Like i said, it may be a story, but is not why I asked for this.

The reason why this comes up is in another fic an OC is in the army with Shining Armor, but is pretty shaken up after their first battle. The OC only has his mom, so he talks to shining about his family.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 13