Battlefield: Equestria 264 members · 62 stories
Comments ( 212 )
  • Viewing 51 - 100 of 212
Bloodpool
Group Admin

514468 I'm not sure, but that sounds like the only fair way to play it to be honest. I'll tell you when I've come to a decsision.

Guardian
Group Admin

514358 Not exactly what I had in mind, but it's nice. On a side note, how come the DRM don't have MGs?

The Grey Pegasus
Group Admin

I actually already asked that before.

Hey Bloodpool, I just noticed. What's with the odd differences (for given value of odd, as it already was before the tech update) between unit compositions in the human factions?

The Empire has tanks (okay) and MG crew (okay).
The DRM has anti-tank rifles (okay), but no MG crew (?).
The Commonwealth has an MG crew (okay) but no anti-tank rifles (?).

BTW, these would be my choices. And the Lahti was honestly the first one to come to mind for me when I think "early 20th century anti-tank rifle".

:pinkiegasp: a fellow D&Der? 4th edition or pathfinder?

514358 Oh! The pirate airship captain?

Also, interesting army list. Want that I should make up some official units myself sometime? :moustache:

The Grey Pegasus
Group Admin

So I just read the description for the Gryphon Heavy Infantry. Do they fight in the air as well? Because it says 'some prefer to fight on foot'. Or can they be called to the air if need be?

If not, Gryphon Mercs are the only real air unit of the Gryphons. *shrug* Just a thought.

Bloodpool
Group Admin

A Mark IV tank about to crush some puny Equines.

On another note, I'm re-working the human factions: I feel that they've gotten too simillar to each other, so I'm working on making each faction more individual. :twilightsmile:

I'm thinking... Flamethrowers.

The Grey Pegasus
Group Admin

Hey! That's the cover for Interesting Times. I never actually read the story though.

Oh, and personally, I liked how they were before the tech update. But if you can make it as good as that, whatever you want.

Bloodpool
Group Admin

540427 It's weird: At first I thought that the human factions were too different in terms of tech, so I changed them to make them more simillar. Now I think they're too simillar, and that they need to be more different! :twilightsheepish:

I'm not going to start down-grading the tech level though. What I'm going to do is give them all a mix of different tech from the same era.

The Grey Pegasus
Group Admin

Before, I honestly thought only the GHE had tanks and the other two didn't.

Bloodpool
Group Admin

540575 I'm working on it as we speak. I'll post the changes here so you can add them to the indexed guide. (I'm planning on deleting the original reference guide, because, as you've stated several times, It's way too big to read. I'm going to replace it with a units/factions announcement thread, where new units and factions will be posted for addition to the indexed guide).

EDIT: In case you were wondering, I see the three human factions as being entangled in a WW1-like stalemate, complete with trenches. Hence, the tech level.

boredhooman
Group Admin

So...
Any chance on Rome-esque faction? Or an existing faction being refitted to be more Rome-like?

Also, I think that giving everyone tanks and rifles makes them a little over-the-top when the show is taken into account.

Bloodpool
Group Admin

when the show is taken into account.

To be totally honest, most of the units are very loosley based on the show. If I based anything strictly on the show... Nothing would happen. No one would fight. There would be no humans. I could go on and on. :facehoof:

A roman-esque faction? Hm. I'm not sure, but I'll see what I can do.
You remember these guys?

Apparently, they're from "Saddle Arabia" (Is it just me, or do the horse-related puns just keep getting worse?). Anyway, I'm going to see if I can create a roman faction using these guys. Good/bad idea? Thoughts please.

Finally, I still have the Minotaur faction to add, so maybe I'll incorperate it into that... To be fair, I'm all out of ideas for new factions. Hopefully, this season's finale will give me some fresh ideas.

boredhooman
Group Admin

1) I don't mean exactly like the show. I mean keeping it in a roughly medieval/steampunk setting. What the current human factions are is WWI.

2) Saddle Arabia would be Saracen or, at latest, Ottoman. Not Roman.

Bloodpool
Group Admin

In case you were wondering, I see the three human factions as being entangled in a WW1-like stalemate, complete with trenches. Hence, the tech level.

It's deliberate, I assure you.

Also, who says "Saddle Arabia" is anything like it's real-world counterpart? I want a roman faction, so that's what they're going to be.

EDIT: Infact, 540638, why don't you write up the Saddle Arabia faction? I'm interested to see what you come up with.

Bloodpool
Group Admin

540427 Here we are. All of these units are special units, by the way.

(GHE)

Grenadiers:
Carrying Grenades and sub-machine guns, Grenadiers serve as the Empire’s shock troops. Organized and armed for mobility, they are used to penetrate enemy defensive lines, creating breakthroughs, which the main Imperial army can then exploit. The Sub-machineguns they carry are only effective within 150 meters, so they need to close the distance between themselves and the enemy to be effective. Contrary to what you might think, they are notoriously ineffective against airbourne units: Their weapons do not have the range or the accuracy to bring down airbourne targets.

(DRM)

Mortar Teams:
Armed with their innovative exploding shells, the stalwart Mortar Teams are capable of blasting apart enemy ranks from long range. These fearless men are masters of explosive devices and relish in pounding fortified enemy emplacements to dust.

(CMW)

Flamethrower Teams:
Generally deployed on the frontline, these teams are a real threat to any enemy infantry, adjacent trees and buildings. A Flamethrower team is a formidable close range unit, quickly clearing large areas with a couple of jets of flame. However, the fuel tanks they carry on their backs can explode if they take a direct hit.

The Grey Pegasus
Group Admin

Honestly, going by the original characterizations of the human factions, it more fitting to have:

Mortar teams- CMW (or maybe DRM)
Grenadiers- DRM (or maybe CMW)
Flamethrowers- GHE

Bloodpool
Group Admin

540835 Fine, whatever you think is more fitting.

I'm off to bed: It's 11:17 here, and I've been up since 9am AND I'M FUCKING TIRED. :ajsleepy:

The Grey Pegasus
Group Admin

Hey Bloodpool- should the most recent episode affect the current Timberwolf stats?

Bloodpool
Group Admin

575361 I'm not sure... I'll re-watch it and get back to you on that... Do you think any changes need to be made?

The Grey Pegasus
Group Admin

I don't know. They could be made.

We can't have roman faction! They had best infantry and crystal ponies already have best infantry.

They could be a byzantine faction? With better archers or something.

Bloodpool
Group Admin

New Faction just created!

The Contagion: Undead.

The Contagion are the reanimated bodies of the dead, revived and reshaped into horrific new forms. These creatures are extremely agressive, and will attack any non-infected creature on sight. The sole purpose of the contagion are twofold: To create more bodies to spread the infection, and to infect living creatures in order to replicate.

Injuries that would kill an ordinary being, have little effect on them, and conventional methods of attack require tremendous skill to kill or even damage them.

Units:

Slicers:
Slicers are usually the most common form of infected encountered. While relatively weak when alone, and possessing slow reflexes, Slicers can pose a serious threat when in groups. The Slicer is named for its specialized arms, which sport sharp blade-like protrusions of bone. These arms are sometimes created by altering the host's original apendages, while in others the slashing arms are entirely new appendages sprouting from the shoulder blades.

Leapers:
Leapers are infected with the ability to leap long distances toward their prey. Sporting a long scythe-tipped tail made from the victim's intestines, spine and legs, along with razor-sharp fangs, they are extremely deadly foes. The musculature of the upper arm becomes more developed, and the fingers grow bladed claws for climbing and slashing. There is a slight lengthening of the vertebral ridges, and the flexibility of the spinal column is increased to help in locomotion. The legs are completely re-shaped: the muscle and bone is flayed, fused together, and lengthened into a single limb tipped with a sharp blade of considerable weight and durability. This tail is highly flexible, able to contract and coil into about a third of its original length and launch the creature at victims.

Crawlers:
Crawlers are reanimated infants. The torso is grossly enlarged, with an organic explosive substance under its skin. The body and head are twisted backwards, so that the Crawler can move with the sac pointed upwards. The back legs of the body are fused together, giving the Crawler an almost caterpillar-like mode of movement. The Crawler's explosion has a very small radius, as it is primarily intended to maim or injure rather than kill, leaving the victim exposed to attacks by other infected. They can act as landmines and booby-traps, hanging from walls and ceilings, detonating at the slightest touch.

Special units:

Infectors:
The Infector is a, flying bat-like infected whose sole purpose is to spread the contagion, only attacking or defending itself when it cannot find any hosts to infect. Created from a torso and legs, its wings are formed by a flap of skin from the chest and then fused between the former host's bent and broken legs. The jaw collapses within the body and the rest of the head breaks and twists into its proboscis and feelers and with the spine providing support and attachment points for articulation. The proboscis, made from mutated bone, muscle, and spinal tissue is the delivery mechanism used to infect potential hosts.

Hunter:
The Hunter is an infected that attacks its prey by means of flanking and group tactics. They approach slowly and quietly in order not to be discovered whilst they get closer, making them harder to notice. Hunters bear long talons ending in dangerous tips. While not efficient at slashing, they can still impale, knock down, and rend their victims. Well maintained musculature in the limbs and back lead to a reinforced spinal column and neck capped by the creature's most distinguishing feature. The skull is largely exposed, sporting a thick skull cap covered in bony protrusions to aid in crushing and bashing.

Crushers:
The Crusher is a large infected composed of multiple corpses. It is heavily armored and possesses extreme physical strength, making it a deadly foe in combat. It is almost entirely encased in an armored, spiked exoskeleton made from bone and calcified skin. Its posterior is relatively unarmored, and from it sprouts a pair of vestigial arms used for support if one of its main arms is cut off. Despite its heavy armor, the Crusher is also quick for its size. The Crusher attacks up close with a devastating punch and a headbutt that can easily knock a victim off their feet. There are, however, specific weak spots just before the shoulder joints, and towards the back along both rear legs.

Heroes: None (Yet). :trixieshiftleft:

I say we place The Necromancer as their leader.

A human wizard of age unfathomed and corrupted knowledge that has come to posses demonic abilities. He inspires fear to all around him and he wields a rusted butchers knife as a weapon :scootangel:

We need a faction with troops like this.

Because pith helmets are bawss.

Species doesn't really have to matter as long as they look as dapper and gentlemanly as that.

575909 Why not make them, I don't know, Arabian?

boredhooman
Group Admin

So, L4D, basically.

The Grey Pegasus
Group Admin

Dammit, when he posted that, I was going to reply the same thing! Except that I forgot, and that perhaps there was some Killing Floor in there as well.

Bloodpool
Group Admin

611999 You know, I've been considering the idea that I should down-grade the human factions to that sort of level. As it stands, they're at a level akin to the stuff used in WW1. I'm thinking maybe they need downgrading to Colonial era technology, maybe even further back.

Pith helmets are indeed boss. But it's the epic sideburns that seal the deal.

612028>>612317
Mostly a mix of L4D and Killing Floor, yea.

boredhooman
Group Admin

>colonial era
I immediately thought of this.
http://archive.foolz.us/tg/thread/19737154

Bloodpool
Group Admin

615839 I'm thinking of making them more steam-punk as well. We'll see... I think I'll "Borrow" some ideas from the Vinci, from Rise of Legends. In fact, I might even stick them all together in one human faction, and get rid of the splinter groups. Because Humans vs Humans is boring.

The Vinci are a highly technological, steampunk civilization, whose buildings and armed forces rely heavily on the steam engine, clockwork and gunpowder. Its designs are highly influenced by the 16th century Italian Renaissance inventor and artist, Leonardo da Vinci.

Also, we get LOADS of concept art to look at. LOOK:

Vinci Riflemen:

Clockwork men:

Vinci Military Tractor:

Vinci Infantry Weapons:

I feel like we should do this right away.

OH FUCK YEAH! WE NEED VINCI FACTION!!!!!
:pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy:

Bloodpool
Group Admin

615963 I'm planning to replace the three human factions with this one Vinci faction Stay tuned, I'm gonna have it up ASAP.

That's gonna downright mess up our collab and my bathtime spinoff though. Oh well, sacrifices must be made!!! Can we haz juggernauts and clockwork men?!?!? :pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy:

The Grey Pegasus
Group Admin

More steampunk

Oh! So back to the original ideas!

...:ajbemused::facehoof: Oh well. Stuff happens.

Though I think I'm more amazed at the fact that you did not react at all to the picture I drew inspired by yourself.

boredhooman
Group Admin

>more steampunk
You're better off just making them after the /tg/ link.

Bloodpool
Group Admin

616459 I've been busy. Show me the picture any time you like. I'm actualy rather interested to see what you've drawn, but I've been busy revising for exams.
616232 It's not going to mess up the collab that much; We haven't even written anything on the human factions yet.

The Grey Pegasus
Group Admin

It's quite literally a couple threads away from here.

Oh, and if ideas are somewhat based on da Vinci, we should give them Assassins as well. :derpytongue2::rainbowlaugh:

Bloodpool
Group Admin

618228>>616474>>616232
So, upcoming content I have decided upon adding:

Human augmentation update: (Removing current human factions, replacing with a more Steam-punk one).
Sea battles update: (Adding naval units for all factions)
Super-secret update: (New faction/factions being added... Try to guess which race will be added)

The Grey Pegasus
Group Admin

Sea battles update: (Adding naval units for all factions)

PUT IN THE NAUTILUS! :derpytongue2:

Hmm.... from what we've seen in the show so far, the only one coming to mind is Saddle Arabians, but that'd be kinda stupid. What else... ... ...

Comment posted by Bloodpool deleted Jan 13th, 2013
Bloodpool
Group Admin

618311 I'm not telling you, you have to work it out yourself. :derpytongue2:
It's not too hard.

The Galleyran Emirate, of course. Led by the great Iron Galleyra it is the mightiest empire in the universe.:moustache:

Well, that or the minotaurs! Either one seems sound enough.

Bloodpool
Group Admin

618754 No self-insert factions. Because that's just silly. :twilightsheepish:

Bloodpool
Group Admin

Oh hai... I upgraded your humans:

The Empire of Man

Common units:

Imperial Riflemen:
 The standard front-line infantry of the imperial army. Armed with breach-loading, single-shot flintlock rifles and bayonets, they fire in large volleys for maximum effect, although a single rifleman can maintain a fairly decent rate of fire on his own. They are lightly armoured, with only a steel hemet and back-and-breast plate. 

Imperial Assault Troopers:
 Assault Troopers are the shock-troops of the imperial army. Their carbines are considerably shorter and lighter than those of the Imperial Riflemen. They make use of a complex clockwork mechanism to greatly increase the rate of fire of their weapons, which have a capacity of 12 rounds. They are heavily armoured, although clever use of in-built harnesses and spring mechanisms helps to distribute the overall weight of their armour more evenly, so they are not slowed down by the weight. 

Imperial Sharpshooters:
 Operating in pairs or alone, Imperial Sharpshooters are deployed in a sniping role, targeting officers and playing an important part in reconnaissance. The rifles they carry employ do not sport scopes. Instead, all sharpshooters wear elaborate goggles that feature a series of magnifying lenses that can be placed over either eye for accurate shooting at long range. 

Clockwork Men:
A large, humanoid clockwork automaton design pioneered by the Imperial army. Several specific clockwork man types are in existence, and they ususally perform either industrial or military functions. An intricate combination clockwork "wind-up" technology and gyroscopic balance, the clockwork man is also a group fighter. Its strength is augmented when among groups of its own kind, and it can salvage the remains of other destroyed clockwork men for self-repair. However, the mechanisms are susceptible to degradation from sand, and while a single clockwork man can match the power of a sizeable battalion of foot soldiers and other infantry, it will quickly be overcome by heavier tanks and artillery

Special units:

Scout Flyer:
 A small, two-man autogyro designed for  reconnaissance and security detail. The pilot concentrates on flying the machine whilst the observer sits behind him and uses a handheld camera to snap pictures of the ground below. The observer also serves as the gunner if the scout is intercepted by hostile aircraft. A complicated aim-assist mechanism helps keep a gunner's aim fixed on enemy aircraft. It uses various gears, springs, levers and weights to pinpoint and indicate exactly where a gunner has to aim for the single steam-driven machine gun to hit its mark.

Assault Flyer: 
A heavier, three-man autogyro designed to ferry troops and supplies to where they are needed, and to perform a valuable ground attack role. It uses it's three steam-powered machine-guns to strafe enemy positions, and it makes deadly use of the flechette missile: A missile that explodes just before it hits the target area, releasing hundreds of razor-sharp steel blades which tear it's victims apart. The effect has been likened to an insanely large shotgun fired at close-quarters. 

Hero units:

Air Cruiser:
Air cruisers are a type of blimp or airship. Heavily armoured and carrying a large array of bombs, missile launchers and various cannons and machine-guns, they can inflict significant damage on enemy fortifications. These military  airships are very slow and cumbersome. While a group of them can lay waste to an enemy encampment, troop formation, or military base in relatively short order, they are extremely vulnerable to fighters and other types of armed aircraft.

Leviathan Land Cruiser:
The Heavy Assault Vehicle/Tracked (HAVT) A5 Leviathan measures 30 meters in height and 50 meters in length. Its interior space allows for up to three hundred soldiers and their equipment to be carried within. A combination of twelve crew members is required to pilot and control the massive vehicle, although with an automation upgrade, that requirement can be reduced to just two pilots. With thick, thermally superconducting armor (capable of absorbing enemy fire and dispersing heat over a wide area) and a heavier load, the A5 can only achieve 160 kilometers per hour, and it turns very slowly. From a small pod above the vehicle's back, a spotter can keep a lookout for enemy forces. Though this grants a good view of the surrounding area, the spotter is an easy target for hostile troops. This observation mast can be retracted when not in use.

Bloodpool
Group Admin

Oh hey look now there's Minotaurs too:

Minotaur Clans

Minotaur Warriors:
Minotaur Warriors are strong, hardy and surprisingly well-disciplined. They wield a large variety of weapons: Sickle swords, throwing axes, round wooden shields, maces, clubs, spears and pikes of various lengths.

Minotaur Raiders: 
Minotaur Raiders live by a very simple philosophy: Steal everything that isn't nailed down, burn everything that is. Carrying single-handed broadswords, and burning torches,  Raiders are very effective against most types of fortifications, and are particulary good at destroying settlements. They are somewhat difficult to control, so having a Cheiftain present is always a good idea if you don't everything burning to the ground. 

Minotaur Berserkers:
Berserkers specialise in working themselves into an insane battle rage. Totally uncontrollable until they eventually calm down, they attack targets at random, screaming and yelling, hacking and slashing their way through large groups of soldiers with their two-handed axes and great-swords. Whilst they are certainly not immortal, they can definitely take a beating, shrugging off injuries that would incapacitate others. 

Minotaur Chieftains: 
Tough, mean, strong, fast and tactically minded, A Minotaur Chieftain commands both fear and respect from those who serve under them. Easily recognisable by the chain-mail armour and iron helms they wear, they are the Minotaurs who keep other Minotaurs in line. Most Chieftans dual-wield two wepons in battle, usually swords. This is not just a practical choice, but also a display of power and wealth: Not everyone can afford to own two weapons.

The Grey Pegasus
Group Admin

Air Cruiser:

Air cruisers are a type of blimp or airship. Heavily armoured and carrying a large array of bombs, missile launchers and various cannons and machine-guns, they can inflict significant damage on enemy fortifications. These military airships are very slow and cumbersome. While a group of them can lay waste to an enemy encampment, troop formation, or military base in relatively short order, they are extremely vulnerable to fighters and other types of armed aircraft.

Okay. All is well now.

Well, well, well Mr. Pool... It would seem like our pastel colored ponies are most certainly...

Fucked.

Anyhows... Guess we start designing airships and AAA for every faction now, aye? Oh, yes! Before I forget...

Galleyran Emirate.

Units:

Iron Galley: He fights alone because he is just cool like that. He can decimate entire armies using his supreme godlike powers of awesome epicness. He can make entire races disappear by forcing their females into a permanent state of going head over heels for him, which leaves their males without children. He can transform rocks into badass motherbucking alicorn cyborg drones that follow his every wish and have a drink holder in the side of their heads as well as AC on their foreheads. He can call upon the magic of badassness to level entire cities to the ground by simply staring at the buildings hard enough. He can transform himself into a B.O.O.S.S. (Badass Overlord Of Supreme Supremacy) Which causes his foes to lose even before the battle starts. He also has a machinegun installed into his chest and can shoot firebolts out of his nose. And he can scratch every pony behind the ears by simply thinking about it, no exceptions.

There, best faction so far :rainbowkiss:

• Viewing 51 - 100 of 212