Battlefield: Equestria 264 members · 62 stories
Comments ( 19 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 19

Another one so soon? Why yes, good fellow, because we've got a lot of exposition to set up. The units are found here, under the Shattered Empire and the Gryphon Kingdoms. Godspeed, brave men of the Empire.

The advance through the Gryphonic Kingdoms was swift and to the point. With a small army focused on a few defensive positions, Legio IV Ferrata and Legio XIX Rapax were able to circumvent much of their defenses in one swift, simple march. Now they stood at the gates of Helvetica, the capital of Gryphonia.

You, General Gaius Cornelius Scipio of the Legio XIX Rapax, are on a short timetable, as are all the men in the area. Gryphon forces are scrambling to turn and meet you, and they outnumber you 2-1. Combine that with their flight, and you have no choice but to capture their capital and slay their king, forcing them into servitude before they can strike.

Helvetica herself is what, in the Republic, would be considered a piecemeal town. In these parts, half a million is considered a large city. The streets are unorganized, having been built up from the town that originally formed the nucleus of the city. The streets are winding, twisting, and confusing. If your men didn’t have maps, they’d be done for.

The Gryphons number 2,500 strong, mostly around 2,000 Esprit d’Corps, Gryphons armed with muskets and little else. The rest are the King’s Bodyguard. They are not to be feared, for their iron armor isn’t effective against your Martini-Henry’s, and their swords are useless at range.

The battle will be decided at the palace. Your troops must storm the palace and depose the King as quickly as possible. If you can, the war with Gryphonia will end, the Empire victorious, allowing you the much-needed resources and manpower available through the Gryphons. Control the King, control the kingdom.

Your men number 6,400 strong, with Legio IV numbering a little less, as they have taken some casualties, while you have not. Your troops consist of 10 Cohorts of Riflemen, and 3 Cohorts of Urbanus. However, you will only be able to have six Centuries of your choosing to accompany you to the palace.

The Gryphons, on the other hand, will be bringing their best. Or what they think is their best. 400 King’s Guard are in the palace, about 200 of which are camped out in the palace’s central courtyard, the rest are camped throughout the palace, along with 100 Corpsmen, who are stationed at the windows, looking to fire down upon your advancing men.

The palace itself is in the center of town. The front of the palace opens into a massive, sprawling courtyard, filled with statues and decorative fishponds. From there, the palace curves around the courtyard, three floors tall, windows providing the Corpsmen with firing lanes on the courtyard.

You are on a timetable, my liege. Either you capture the palace, or General Julius Mentones will, and the Legio IV will gain the glory of the victory. You must not fail, for your Legion, for your family, for the Senate itself. May Mars himself stride alongside your men.

A MAP OF THE WAR SO FAR...

The Grey Pegasus
Group Admin

stahp stahp i haven't even finished updating the list yet

boredhooman
Group Admin

I have a 3rd edition URG in the process of making. Remember that thread we had?
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/111444/battlefield-equestria-unit-reference-guide-third-edition

The Grey Pegasus
Group Admin

Uhh... yeah. I meant the Battles List. I consider these official battles (because why not). Unless, of course, you don't want these in the official numbered battles.

boredhooman
Group Admin

Just make sure you note that they're playtesting, so what is in the battle may not necessarily be the same in the URG itself.

The Grey Pegasus
Group Admin

Titles of the battles are the thread titles, so it does say 'tests'.

1318335>>1318330
Both of you, get to strategizing.

The Grey Pegasus
Group Admin

I take all 6,400 troops and surround the palace because there was never a reason said why I couldn't. ...I'm guessing the others are occupying the city and keeping things to a lull while the palace is taken...

What?

.... Fine.

Remember, you're taking a city and there are over 2,000 men opposing you, plus a militia. You're taking what you can spare.

The Grey Pegasus
Group Admin

Yeah, I figured in my little (literally) note.

the palace curves around the courtyard

So most angles of cover in the courtyard can be fired upon?

Yep, think like this. Except huge because it's a palace and not a villa.

The Grey Pegasus
Group Admin

Is there any reason why we can't attack the palace from the outside instead of the courtyard?

Not really, but the majority of the enemy are expecting you to be honorable foes.

The Grey Pegasus
Group Admin

expecting you to be honorable foes

Well, screw that. It's a war. What am I supposed to do, fit into their defensive plan and consequently get shredded?

Max out my forces with the Urbanus. 2 centuries up at the courtyard, but do not push in, as going in would be a deathtrap (with no manholes to retreat into). Distract them. And try not to die. Take potshots at whatever they can, use whatever cover available. Attack preferred to be timed at the same time the other centuries enter the palace.

2-2 split to either side of the palace on the outside. Assault from there. Break into the palace. Because these troops are seasoned for urban warfare, I'd assume they're well trained for CQC in hallways.

Once all enemies with view of the courtyard have been eliminated, fire upon the griffons in the courtyard. The ones remaining from the centuries that were out in the front of the palace link up with the ones that got in once all the griffons have been killed.

Take the palace.

Max out my forces with the Urbanus. 2 centuries up at the courtyard, but do not push in, as going in would be a deathtrap (with no manholes to retreat into). Distract them. And try not to die. Take potshots at whatever they can, use whatever cover available.

Your Urbanus are not well-trained for this kind of combat, but they do. They trade fire with the Gryphons, but grow impatient as their own numbers start to dwindle and the Gryphons stay the same due to their superior cover. However, the Gryphons take advantage of this, and charge your men. Before they know what is happening, they're engaging your Urbanus. In close quarters, however, the fight becomes even, men ditching their rifles for Gladius, bayonets, knives- or even enemy swords.

2-2 split to either side of the palace on the outside. Assault from there. Break into the palace. Because these troops are seasoned for urban warfare, I'd assume they're well trained for CQC in hallways.

They clear the hallways no problem, considering they are specially trained for this warfare, and the fact that most of the men in the palace are armed with muskets and cloth. The men inside the palace are slaughtered. You find the king, and place him under guard to be publicly executed (or used as a puppet) when the battle is over.

Once all enemies with view of the courtyard have been eliminated, fire upon the griffons in the courtyard. The ones remaining from the centuries that were out in the front of the palace link up with the ones that got in once all the griffons have been killed.

Your men see the Gryphons in close combat with your own Urbanus and are forced to open fire upon their own men. The King's Guard are slaughtered in a flurry of gunfire, but so are your men. In the end, no Kings Guard remain, but only twenty-seven of your Urbanus lived to tell the tale, and of course punch the other Centuries in the face.

When you come back, you find the guards you set to watch the king slaughtered by gunshot wounds and the king escaped via a secret passageway. You do, however, find his son, the Crown Prince, and proclaim him to be the true King. He immediately capitulates, causing the Empire to take full control of Gryphon lands.

The King has to live for the story's sake, you didn't screw up there.

The Grey Pegasus
Group Admin

I should've switched out the distracting force for regular Rifle Centuries huh. Was thinking about it, but considered this urban combat enough. Oh wells.

Just interested: If I did, how would have the outcome change?

The King's Guard would've charged you and you would've been completely boned.

The Grey Pegasus
Group Admin

Ah. Right. CQC. Well, losses will be losses, and we've won the battle. They're all dead compared to 1/3 of our initial force. Though... I guess I should've just fully committed to the attack inside the palace, since we have the advantage in CQC. Or perhaps a change in timing when to attack.

Also, damn plot armor.

Bloodpool
Group Admin

Dat music. :raritystarry:

Rome: Total War is the best game ever. I can't even tell you how long I spent playing that awesome game.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 19