Battlefield: Equestria 264 members · 62 stories
Comments ( 5 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 5
Bloodpool
Group Admin

Coup D'etat: Part 2: A most irregular thing.

Canterlot Castle is a place that practically radiates power. Built into the mountainside, it towers above the Equestrian Capital, an ever-present reminder of the incredible wealth and influence wielded by the supreme rulers of the vast Equestrian Empire.

The interior of the castle is no different either. The long corridors and hallways with their high, vaulted ceilings, the huge stained-glass windows; everything is intended as a display of power.

Somewhere within the veritable maze of rooms and corridors, a rather remarkable pair of ponies are making their way along a dusty hallway. The afternoon sunlight is pouring in through the great stained-glass windows, casting odd shadows upon the walls as they make their way along the corridor.

The first of the duo is a pegasus with a cyan mane and tail, his cutie mark depicting a large shield with a great cross emblazoned upon it. His face is fairly plain, and not particularly memorable, although some would argue otherwise. His name is Captian Wind Rider; an experienced member of the Equestrian Special Operations Unit.

His companion is Unicorn, coat a deep, rich blue, the colour perfectly offset by the crystal white of his mane and tail.

This is Lord Onyx... Or what's left of him.

As he walks, each step is accompanied by a loud metallic clang, as his prosthetic foreleg strikes the ground with considerable force. His right leg is no longer there; it has been replaced with a construct of pistons and gears, whirring and clunking as he walks, and occasionally emitting a blast of steam.

The right side of his face is similarly disfigured, a sickening mess of ugly white scars and lacerations, the side of his mouth stuck forever in a savage snarl. The terrible explosion that took his leg and mangled his face so badly also cost him the use of his right eye. A simple sphere of yellow glass resides in his empty eye-socket, mercifully hidden by an eyepatch of black fabric.

His appearance is disturbing at the best of times.

The pair walk on in silence. Wind Rider glances at his companion every now and then, a look of awkward curiosity in his eyes. Finally, he sums up the courage to ask the question that he just had to ask.

"...Um... How did you-"

Before he can finish, Lord Onyx has already answered him.

"Killer Rabbits."

Wind Rider's look of outright confusion and alarm is almost comical.

"...You're joking, right?" He asks.

"Of course." Onyx remarks dryly.

"...Oh."

"Any more insolent questions you want to ask, Captain?"

"...No Sir."

"Good. Now shut up and walk, or I'll ram those medals of yours right down your damn throat."

The rest of the short journey was spent in an awkward, tense silence. Wind Rider guessed that he should have known better than to ask such a personal question of his companion.

In military circles, Lord Onyx's temper was legendary. Even before mysterious incident that left him so badly mutilated, he had been an irritable and short-tempered pony, but it seemed that his injuries and forced retirement from active service had made him even more abrasive and ill-mannered... If that was even possible.

It would have been unfair to say that he was completely without friends, however. Especially considering just how powerful his friends were. For the irritable old pony had found himself befriended by none other than Princess Celestia and Princess Luna.

His tactical genius had resulted in his appointment to the position of Military Advisor to the Royal Pony Sisters. And he certianly was a genius, for he had the incredible ability to fight and to win in seemingly any situation, no matter how high the odds were stacked against him.

Personaly, Wind Rider couldn't figure out how the Princesses could stand to be around him for more than a few minutes.

Wind Rider was jolted from his thoughts by the sudden realisation that they had just reached their destination.

The two guards standing outside the large, solid-looking door are magificent in their golden plate armour. Each of them carries a large and vicious-looking halberd, and it is abundantly clear that they both know exactly how to use them.

They snap to attention as the pair approaches, eyes staring straight ahead. Both Lord Onyx and Captian Wind Rider return the salute with equal precision.

"Right through the door my Lord. Her Majesty's been expecting you. Captian, the Princess has requested that you remain out here untill such time she is ready to receive you."

With a curt nod, Wind Rider steps aside, and Lord Onyx enters the room alone.

The Guards quietly close the doors behind him; There is an audible click, and the door is firmly locked.

Princess Celestia, Godess of the Sun and Diarch of the Equestrian Empire, is sitting at a large desk, writing in silence. She glances up into the large and expensive-looking mirror in front of her, and gives a quick nod of acknowledgement at the entrance of Lord Onyx, before returning to her work.

The clock on the wall marks the passage of time with a rythmic ticking. After a minute or so, she rolls up the scroll she has been writing, placing it to one side of the desk..

It is Princess Celestia who breaks the silence. Her voice is quiet, almost informal... But not quite.

"It's been a some time since we were last able to speak like this... I've missed our little talks... How are you holding up?"

She is no longer addressing a citizen of her vast empire. She is merely talking to a friend.

"I'm fine." Lord Onyx replies. His tone is not as aggressive as before, but the bitterness is still painfully present in his voice.

"...Onyx, please. I've been around for a long time. I know when someone is lying to me, and it is abundantly clear that you are most certainly not 'fine'..."

"...What else am I supposed to say?!" Onyx snaps back angrily. Celestia, however, remains just as calm and collected as she always does.

"The truth, of course. That you still blame yourself for what happened. That you still miss her, even after all this time."

A tense silence falls upon the room.

"...I am old, Onyx. Far older than you could possibly imagine. And if there is one thing I have learned, it is this: Sometimes you have to let go.

What happened to your sister was not your fault. There is no point in torturing yourself with thoughts of what might have been. The outcome would have been the same no matter what; you cannot change the past, Onyx, no matter how hard you try."

"...I do not require lecturing like some naive foal! I will not talk to you of such things. Either we move on to the real reason you have called me here, or I shall take my leave."

"...As you wish. Captain! You nay enter now!"

The door opens slightly, and Wind Rider steps quietly inside.

"Thank you for coming. I know this meeting may be a little... Unorthodox, but we have little time. Please, take a seat."

As she gestures toward a set of luxurious couches arranged around the fireplace, her voice alone radiates power. Here is someone who does not need to scream or shout to command others; this is someone who knows how to level entire cities with a whisper.

"I'll straight to the point, for we have much to do, and very little time to achieve it in. It has come to my attention that there will be an attempt on my own life, and the life of my sister also." She says, rather nonchalantly, as if assassination attempts were a rather dull and everyday occurrence for her.

A stunned silence follows. The clock ticks, the small sound suddenly seeming very loud indeed.

Lord Onyx is the first to speak.

"...How... Do you... Know this?" He asks hesitantly. It is abundantly clear that he is choosing his next words very carefully.

Celestia simply waves the question away with a dismissive gesture.

"When you have lived as long as I have, such things rarely escape your notice. No matter how clever or careful you are, you always leave a trace. And a trace can be followed back to it's source. Which is, coincidentally, why you're here."

"In truth, I know very little about this assassination attempt, only that it is coming. I do not know exactly when it will come, or who is involved.

So, that is why I have called you here today. Lord Onyx, I want you to find out everything you can. When the attack is coming. Who is involved, and to what extent.

It is of the utmost importance that this information is kept secret. If it becomes common knowledge, the perpetrators may discover that we are on to them, and call of the attack. If that were to happen, we may never discover who is behind the plot, and then all our efforts would be for naught. Not to mention the panic it would cause."

Captain Wind Rider took the brief pause as an opportunity to ask the question that had been in his mind ever since he had received the message inviting him to this meeting.

"With all due respect, your Majesty... Why do you need me here? I'm sure the Royal Guard are more than capable at defending you from this sort of thing."

Celestia inclined her head slightly towards the the Captian, and gave her answer.

"A valid question, Captain.

The fact if the matter is that if I suddenly increase the size of my security detail, it may give the game away; the same goes for my sister's guards too.

However, should we be unable to prevent the attack, I'd like to have experienced soldiers by my side. My current guards are... Good, but they are not terribly experienced.

As you no doubt know, the Royal Guard is rarely deployed outside of Canterlot. They simply don't have the unique skill set that you and your troops posses. Therefore, I plan to secretly integrate your unit into my security detail. If and when the attack comes, you should be more than capable of dealing with it. If we do manage to thwart the perpetrators before they can carry out their plan, no one will be any the wiser to your presence."

"...I see... What about Princes Cadence? Will she also need extra protection? My troops are going to be spread pretty thin as it is."

"No, no. That won't be necessary. Cadence is... Well, let's just say that she's more than capable at handling this sort of thing.

And besides, she's far younger than myself or my sister. I doubt that anyone considers her a serious threat. A rather foolish position to take; to underestimate your enemy is to hasten your own doom. Especially someone as... Skilled as Cadence. Now, are there any more questions you wish to ask?"

"No, your Majesty."

"Good. Lord Onyx, do have anything you would like to add?"

"No."

"Very well. You are dismissed, gentlemen. Enjoy the rest of your day."

~~~

The swirling mass of impenetrable fog smothers the surface of the ocean like a thick blanket, suppressing all noise, leaving only silence. Dead silence.

The surface of the slate-grey water is unnaturally still. With no wind to whip up the waves, it lies as still and as flat as a mirror, reflecting the dull-grey sky above.

Then, with an eerie creak, the shattered carcass of a ship looms up out of the fog, like the bloated corpse of some pre-historic seamonster.

All but one of the three masts are splintered stumps. The sails on the one remaining mast are little more than rags, the torn and shredded fabric hanging limply from the mast.

The deck of the ship is similary damaged. Great jagged holes have been smashed through the solid oak planks. So many javelin bolts have become lodged in the sides of the vessel that it more closely resembles a porcupine than a sea-worthy ship.

The great window of what was once the Captian's cabin has been smashed to pieces. Not one piece of glass remains in its original frame.

And yet, by some miracle, the ship remains afloat. Just.

This is the Grimhawk. It is but one ship of the vast fleet commanded by the infamous Captain Sky-Shrike.

However, a few days ago, the Grimhawk, and five other pirate ships, launched a vicious raid on a small costal village. They encountered no resistance, and soon departed with almost all of the little village's meagre wealth.

On the way back to the main pirate fleet, this small raiding party was intercepted by a much larger Equestrian Naval patrol. Five out of six ships were sunk, but the Grimhawk was lucky enough to escape its pursuers by sailing into a thick bank of fog. What the unfortunate crew did not count on, however, was that this was no ordinary fog.

The ship has finally stopped now, all momentum lost. It sits silently upon the still sea, listing heavily to the left.

Time passes. The fog does not lift. It does not move. It does not clear. It remains.

In the distance, there can now be heard the sound of splashing. It comes closer, closer, and closer still, until a second vessel bursts out of the fog. This ship bears the colours of the Equestrian Navy, and, perhaps more importantly, has the capacity to deploy oars.

The Navy vessel glides to a smooth stop alongside the damaged Pirate ship. A gangplank is lowered, bridging the gap between the two vessels. A contingent of Marines thunders across onto the Pirate ship with a frightful roar.

The chase has been long and hard, and the Marines expect a final, vicious battle; Pirates generally avoid battle with Naval ships, but they fight with vicious desperation when cornered.

But there is no battle.

The Marines search the ship from top to bottom. No trace of the previous crew can be found. Have they abandoned the vessel?

No. The longboats have not been deployed. The full contingent of the ship's four lifeboats sit neatly in their racks, unused. They certainly couldn't have flown away; to take flight in thick fog, in open ocean, with no idea where the nearest landmass was? It would be tantamount to suicide.

The hold is still stuffed with the ill-gotten loot from the previous raid. Personal effects lay strewn throughout the crew quarters - Wherever the pirates went, they left in a hurry.

Another clue to this eerie mystery is found at the ship's helm. A large bloodstain shows where a body was dragged from the helm... To the ship's rail.

Almost as if someone was pulled overboard.

In the Captain's locker, a mysterious bundle of scrolls are found. The writing on them is an incomprehensible jumble of strange symbols; probably some sort of code.

The papers are removed, along with any other items deemed important enough to take back onto the Naval vessel. A fire is started in the hold of the Grimhawk, and the Navy ship rows quietly away, as the stricken pirate ship is engulfed in flames, the orange light of the fire casting an eerie glow through the thick sea fog.

~~~

11:30 PM. Somewhere off the Equestrian Coast.

The Battle of Whiterock Cliffs:

The Player: Royal Equestrian Navy.

Units:

(x6) Pegasus Class:
Top speed: 20 knots.
Armament: 6 Ballistae, 2 Mangonels.
Additional Information: Small, fast ship. Often used for scouting and raiding. Has oars as well as sails. Carries regular, incendiary and Magefire (explosive) ammunition for all weapons.

(x2) Unicorn Class:
Top speed: 18 knots.
Armament: 8 Ballistae, 4 Mangonels, 2 Traction Trebuchets.
Additional Information: Reasonably fast ship. Used for convoy defence and in a support role for heavier, slower warships. Carries regular, incendiary and Magefire (explosive) ammunition for all weapons.

The Enemy: Gryphonic Pirates (Using Gryphonic Naval vessels).

Units:

(x12) Talon Class:
Top speed: 25 knots.
Armament: 4 Ballistae, 2 Springalds, 2 Mangonels .
Additional Information: Often used for scouting and raiding. Small, fast ship. Carries regular and incendiary ammunition for all weapons.

Terrain:

To the North are high Chalk cliffs. Around 110 meters in height, they are virtually unclimable, as there is no beach of any sort beneath them: They are a straight, sheer drop into shallow water. In the water at the base of the cliff face, there are many jagged rocks of various sizes, generating dangerous currents, both on the surface and under the water. Any ship that strays too close to this area will most likely be forced against the rocks by the current. To the South is the vastness of the open ocean. The cliffs continue in a similar fashion to both the east and west, for about 10 miles in each direction.

The winds blow from the east, giving you more speed, as long as you remain facing west.

The twelve pirate vessels are proceeding from east to west. They aim to escape into open ocean once they reach Horseshoe bay, around 24 miles to the west.

Your smaller fleet of ships has been chasing the pirates for at least 72 hours: About three days. With the wind in the enemy's favour, you have been unable to catch up untill now. As a result, your crews are tired, but eager to end the long chase. The Enemy has been throwing all non-essential items overboard in an attempt to gain speed. The Pirates are panicked, tired and hungry; thanks to your unwavering pursuit, they have been unable to stop to aquire fresh supplies.

Your mission is to sink these vessels that have been terrorising this part of the coast. They must be stopped. It is likely that any prisoners you do take will be hanged for their crimes, so there is no real need to capture prisoners; that said, the Equestrian Naval Command does not want a complete massacre. A few prisoners must be taken and punished, if only to serve as a warning to others.

Now... Begin the attack.

The Grey Pegasus
Group Admin

Cadence is... Well, let's just say that she's more than capable at handling this sort of thing.

Especially someone as... Skilled as Cadence

I do believe I understand what this implies... Yeeessssss....
---
And then for something so far completely unrelated. I will it get to it.

Bloodpool
Group Admin

It was too much of an awesome idea to ignore. :twilightsheepish:

boredhooman
Group Admin

Once I catch up, I stay within effective range of my incendiary weapons, comfortably but just so they can't fire back. The wind is at my back and I'm trailing them, so my range is greater, and theirs is restricted (might even blow back on them). Nothing to do but hit the closest ones and keep closing in.

The Grey Pegasus
Group Admin

Depending on the range to the targets, I suppose start firing off shots of regular ammunition until definite shots can be landed. If accuracy is definte, switch to incindiaries and explosives.

Now, according to the stats, there's a probable chance we'll never catch up. But I'd like to swing south and try to get on their flank with the Pegasus-class ships to try and force them closer to the cliffs. They can keep running straight and keep getting hit by shots or try and evade in the one direction we're not going; north. Which are cliffs.
---
Also, list updated.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 5