Doctor Whooves 1,806 members · 553 stories
Comments ( 4 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 4
SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

Thought I'd put it up now, since it airs at 1930 GMT today, and I think that's in a few hours. Translating time zones is fun.

As usual, this thread is for discussion of the episode, both before and after it airs. No need to comment if you just want to express how much you hate the era, Jodi, etc.

So, here we are at the end of the Chris Chibnall era, and the end of Jodi's run. I'm worried that it'll be a mess, and I'm hoping it'll be enjoyable. Either way, it's Doctor Who, and I'm not about to miss a regeneration scene.

Something I remember from the week before last's Lower Decks episode: (Crisis Point 2: Paradoxus)

"But it's a bad story."
"Yeah, it's an uneven slog that totally ignores the successes of the original. But it's also a Starfleet movie, which means it's worth doing."

Honestly, just give me some "Brave Heart, Tegan", Ace beating Daleks up with a baseball bat, Kate Stewart being all UNIT-y, the Master hamming things up, Yaz and the Doctor locking lips, and Dan running around with a frying pan. I don't really need plot right now. Just give me some fan service and a good regeneration. :unsuresweetie:

There's also been a lot of speculation about whether the Doctor will regenerate into David Tennant or Ncuti Gatwa. It'll be interesting to see what type of curveball they throw at us...

Anyways, feel free to discuss the episode below!

--Sweetie Belle

Sixes_And_Sevens
Group Admin

WOW

I vibed with this hard. I'm not afraid to admit, I screamed at all the classic callbacks. Especially the Master with 2's little recorder.

Now, a pedantic person might argue that the plot of this made... minimal sense, and I would agree. However, the vibes? Impeccable. The Master didn't need to be Rasputin, but boy howdy he sure did need to dance to the Boney M. song when he did. And the Daleks and Cybermen definitely needed to give each other weird looks about it.

I adored seeing the reunion of all the Doctor's old friends all of them. I love Melanie Bush and I am not ashamed to admit it. And Jo!! And IAN!!! . And seeing the return of the old Doctors, giving them one last conversation with their friends... I did cry a little.

The Master's big plan was suitably unhinged, as expected. Legitimately couldn't have even guessed it from what I'd seen, so good job on the twist. Sacha Dhwan really acted both his hearts out as the Master!Doctor throughout. And the outfit. Like I said, I'm bananas about the classic callbacks.

Was not expecting Dan to just... leave so early in the episode. It makes sense for his character, I think, but not expected. Also unexpected, Graham's return!

And, as I probably should have guessed, The Power of the Doctor is... the Magic of Friendship. Now, if only she had her own Elements of Harmony...

Yaz's departure was bittersweet. I wish that she could've stayed on. I already miss her. And then 13 went and regenerated on a beach...

Ah yes. The Regeneration. Listen, I figured Tennant was coming. I'm not... thrilled about them already stepping on Gatwa's shoes like this, but I'll reserve my judgement until the next episode. However. The cowards didn't have to regenerate her outfit. If you're going to give us 10.3, put him in Jodie's outfit! Give us the standard post-regen outfit confusion!

Overall, I was absolutely glued to the screen. I think it suffered a little from being so tied to the centenary of the BBC -- for all that I loved the callbacks, they did kinda step on 13's final episode in some ways, and I've already mentioned my thoughts on the regeneration. Overall, though, pretty solid closer. I'm going to miss 13.

I'll say it, this was fun! Was it a bit of a big spectacle whose plot didn't make the most sense? Perhaps, but it was still good in my book. The acting was good, and it seems like everyone had a blast making it. And, I'm not afraid to admit it, I got a bit misty-eyed a few different times throughout the episode.

I'm glad they managed to finish the Whittaker era with a bang instead of floundering at the end. Quite honestly, while I haven't been the biggest fan of the last few series, I don't think any of it was too irredeemably awful, and I find I'm going to remember Jodie's time as the Doctor a bit more fondly than I at first thought.

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

Honestly, I'm kind of sad for the Doctor who fans that are going to give it a miss because they don't like Jodie, because there's undoubtedly someone they like in this episode.

How long did he spend coming up with "The Masters Dalek Plan"? And the Master was on form. Loved him wearing items of clothing from as many Doctors as he could get ahold of. And the recorder! Not to mention "I am the Master and you must obey me"!

Crazy plot, that had plenty of plotholes and was probably more there to hang everything else on, but, you know, I did want something like the five doctors. And we got, what, either? And they only told us half the classic companions appearing! Getting to see Ace and Tegan with their respective doctors one more time was great.

I'll admit, I'm not sure how much someone that wasn't familiar with all the classic references would like this, but for me it was quite a ride...

--Sweetie Belle

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 4