Ponies in the Real World 1,686 members · 1,107 stories
Comments ( 10 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 10

I'm coming up with new ideas for a story of mine, The Equestrian's Guide to Humanity. Here, Rarity is collecting data on humanity and asks to hear some music. Not for an entry in the guide, but to get a better grasp on humanity's musical tastes, and to prepare for an upcoming Karaoke Night by finding songs to perform. Since I have a feeling she's more of a classical person, I have no idea how'd she react to the contents of a record collection owned by someone like me (i'm more of an 80's pop, rock, and film score guy). So, I'm on my knees here, begging for help. I would like to know how, in your opinion, Rarity would react to the following:

ROCK:
AC/DC: Back in Black, Highway to Hell
Guns N' Roses: Sweet Child O' Mine
Journey: Separate Ways (Worlds Apart), Open Arms, Don't Stop Believing

POP:
Giorgio Moroder and Phillip Oakey: Together in Electric Dreams
Huey Lewis and the News: The Power of Love, Do You Believe in Love, The Heart of Rock and Roll
Olivia Newton-John: And In the Morning, Twist of Fate

I could always use some more suggestions for songs, so please leave some as well. If it all turns out well, I'll give credit to everyone who helped in the Author's Note at the start of the chapter.

While music isn't Rarity's talent I'd be inclined to think she would appreciate the emotion behind some blues. I also find the idea of Rarity having a guilty pleasure for something outrageous like Dubstep or Reggae or something. In terms of other more common themes, you need to work queen in there somewhere, the image of Rarity dancing with a vacuum like Freddie Mercury is too good to pass up.

Oh, yes.

I could see her being a bit of an Olivia Newton-John fan. I was thinking of it stemming from her watching Grease and Xanadu back to back at her human friend's request.

As for Rarity dancing with a vacuum cleaner to Queen, I could see her doing that to either Somebody to Love or Don't Stop Me Now, maybe dragging her human friend into a slow dance when Who Wants to Live Forever starts playing. There's also the potential for a bit of pathos when she learns what happened to Freddie Mercury.

Never thought of her liking Queen.

What would she think of AC/DC or Journey or Huey Lewis? They're three of my favorites and I'd like to work them in.

I think maybe she'd be a bit put off by the vocals of AC/DC, the rasp in his voice can bug people, granted that's just my view. Journey, in my experience is universally loved and I think it's right up Rarity's alley. The melodic tones and stellar vocals are borderline hypnotic to some. Always a feeling of grandeur with their stuff.

Huey Lewis is hard to say for me up until now I've never listened to them. Don't worry, I have the sports album on right now to get an Idea. She'd probably be able to get into the get up and dance songs that seem to have a bit more "oomph" but the slow stuff I can't say.

Hopefully that helps, man.

Good. I have an idea of what to do now. Thanks, man.

By the way, I'm looking for people to contribute segments for the story. Would you be interested?

It depends, I'm usually bogged down with work. That or no confidence in my writing :facehoof:

Would you happen to know anyone who'd be interested?

Not offhand, sorry

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 10