Changelings Need Love Too 2,333 members · 1,541 stories
Comments ( 8 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 8

Okay, so I just recently joined this group after getting an account. And there’s a certain nitpick I have with changeling fanfics out there. It doesn’t happen with all of them, but it’s very noticeable in a few.

Before I begin, I just wanna make it clear that I’m not trying to offend anyone who uses this type of trope I’m about to describe. It’s just an opinion that some people share with me and some don’t. If you guys disagree with it, I’m okay with it. Trust me:twilightblush:

Okay, so the only thing I dislike about some changeling fan fictions is that they’re usually just the “changeling born an outcast leaves the hive in hopes of making friends in a new life in Ponyville while taking the form of a pony but is being hunted down” or something like that. I know, it’s been happening even before Thorax was introduced. Though I still see them nowadays.

Anyway, not only do I find it somewhat repetitive, but here’s another thing: The main changeling character can feel like a Thorax descendant in my opinion, or a cardboard cutout. Now there are ways this can be done right, but if the main changeling character was born being an outcast that’s always been friendly, how are they going to develop? They could work on being more social and/or assertive, yes, that works. But other stories don’t have the character go into any development at all.

Overall, I don’t hate this cliche more than anything in the world. There are worst cliches out there, but this one just feels... Meh.

Anyway, I just wanted to say how I feel, and I really hope I didn’t offend anyone out there. Keep an eye out on my upcoming story if you wanna. I also wanna know, what are your thoughts on this fanfic trope/cliche? (Whatever you wanna call it.)

I'M OFFENDED. My special snowflake feelings have been hurt!

jk. It is a pretty crappy cliche. I know I've read a few fics like that. All of them a long time ago, though, and I don't think I had such discerning tastes in fanfiction back in those days. But I think the ones that do it best are the ones where the changeling is different / friendly / special / outcast, but they are trying to fit in with the other changelings, they're just bad at it.

Like you say, the reason it kinda sucks is because the main character doesn't have any room to grow or change or learn, they're already 'correct' and everyone else is wrong. It's neat in the idea that it's the protagonist versus the world, essentially, but having a protagonist who is basically perfect and unflawed from the get-go is a story-killer in general.

It's funny that you mention Thorax. He totally falls into that category. Might be why he's not the best character in the show. I mean, I like him, but he definitely could've been better. I suppose, though, with him, the story barely followed that line of thinking. We saw him as an outcast, yes, but also as a confused and helpless sorry sack, and how he started moving on with his life. And that part of him took precedence, and I think that's why he's a decent character in the show. I'm thinking most of the stories you're thinking of are probably much more focused on the protagonist being on the lam and fighting 'the man' - so to speak.

Lol, you almost got me when I read that first sentence tbh. That was a good one :rainbowlaugh:

Yeah, it's been a common trope of changeling stories, for pretty much the same reason protagonists of any race so often find their way to ponyville: it's a pretty obvious story idea, and it's fairly easy to tell. So it ends up getting done a lot and becomes cliche. That said, there are still plenty of changeling stories that avoid that cliche. :twilightsmile:

That said, I kind of like that Thorax didn't quite fall into the same category. He's close, very close, but kinda dodged it. He left the hive, certainly, but he didn't immediately try to move to ponyville to befriend ponies. He instead went to the Crystal Empire and it's magical love-artifact, and remained very much at the periphery, trying to live at the edges of pony society rather than jumping straight in. I thought it made for a more interesting story. Still borderline cliche (There are plenty of stories that did something similar), but still a little more to it.

I don't mind that trope but I tend more towards the twiling stories so I don't see it as often changeling of the guard is the only one I can think of that has that trope....integration kinda inverts it as its about a pony joining the changeings

I have to say, even changeling of the guard was somewhat unique compared to other changeling stories I’ve read. Because I haven’t seen any others that have its kind of concept, with a changeling joining the royal guard.

youd think there would be cause that was kinda fan cannon for awhile after the changelings were introduced cause there were so many gaurds that looked exactly the same.
and yet very few people went with the that idea...still its the only one i know of with the 'runnaway outcast' motif
now there are others with the idea of changeligns that left the hive and found freindship but they didnt set out for it
my little behemoth is one, Flitter is another, and what was the one mmmm 'body and mind' it think it was called
all are varrying changeing x is seperated from the hive at various times and for various reasons and becomes freinds with ponies int he case of flitter it was more he was a sort of a deep cover agent for a diffrent hive and he became freind and love to his pony friends and family naturaly as he lived his undercover life, but still...i think of them body and mind is the most realisitic feeling to me.

Yeah, I see your point. I especially see a lot of Ling x Fluttershy fanfics.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 8