Star Trek Ponies 503 members · 101 stories
Comments ( 8 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 8

If you found yourself in Equestria with your laptop, cellphone, and MP3 player/IPod would you follow the Prime Directive or would you let Twilight/Celestia look at them?

It depends. If I'm going to be trapped there forever then I'd show it at some point. If I was just visiting I wouldn't, partly because I'd like to feel the real Equestria from the show, and partly because of the prime directive.

Nope. My computer, my shit. If ponies want it they need to figure out how it do it themselves. One of the things that irk me in fics is when ponies reverse engineer human tech, especially against the human's will. (Because his spacecraft crashed and he was unconscious.)

Well, first of all, there's no chance at all that my laptop's internet connection or my phone's cell connection will work on Equestria, unless they already have cellular transceiver towers and Wireless Access Points (in which case the cat's out of the bag and they already have technology compatible with our own.)

Nevertheless, a typical laptop or smartphone still has an awful lot of fuctionality that doesn't require a connection to the outside world. Just the ability to play FreeCell on the laptop would be something nopony has ever seen before.

The question is: Would they get to see this technology in action before my batteries run out? It's not like they have electrical outlets compatible with my chargers. (Hell, even Europe and the U.S. have different electrical outlets from each other, never mind a planet populated by anthropomorphic magical and semi-magical ponies.) It's questionably whether Equestria even has electricity; the only contraption that seemed even remotely automatic was the Flim Flam Brothers' Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000, and THAT only worked when the two brothers beamed power into it from their unicorn horns.

1799706 Ponyville has a hydroelectric dam.

Anything except the Laptop. No-one get's that from me (if I had one).

If they can understnd the tech, good for them. If not, there could be some laughs to be had.

I'd missed that!

Of course, that brings up another question: What do the ponies use electric power FOR? I don't remember seeing any light bulbs in Ponyville.

1827150 In episode one twilight asks for the light switch when she finally gets to to the library, not to mention all the electronics in her basement and Vinyl Scratch uses the electricity for her turntable.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 8