• Published 27th Mar 2015
  • 7,308 Views, 12,705 Comments

Ynanhluutr - Imploding Colon



A newly transformed Rainbow Dash continues her flight east.

  • ...
44
 12,705
 7,308

PreviousChapters Next
Burdens Suck When They Are Burdensome

“Hurry your landscuffers, Thunker Meat!” Sora called over his shoulder while he and his companions galloped out into the surf. “Ultimo doesn't stick around for dessert!”

“Unless, of course, you're it! Hah!” Kaji laughed.

“Nnngh... Verlaxion's sleet!” Theanim Mane cursed, struggling to balance two camera bags and a tripod over his flank as he hobbled through the shallow waves to the nearest canoe. “If a single one of these devices touches the water, I swear, I'm hanging myself from the first palm tree my depraved eyes see!”

“Why are you bringing so much junk?” Flare asked, gripping one end of a canoe and fluttering her wings. “Things aren't exactly even in the drink.”

“It helps to be prepared!” Theanim said. “If we intend to take down this ill-forsaken Ultimo, then I want to catch the most brilliant shot of it so I can share with the rest of the Scientific Order!”

“Why not share through word of mouth?” Kaji smirked. “That's how the Nealenders do it! Whoop!”

“My good stallion, back where I come from, the enlightened denizens of Rohbredden require something a little more... grnnngh...” He struggled, then eventually heaved himself and his items over the edge of the boat. FWUMP! He landed in an awkward pile, smothered by his own belongings. “...empirical.”

“Hah hah hah!”

“Heheheh!” Silver smirked. “Silly landwalkers. Always so tangled up with themselves. Relax!” He shrugged with his forelimbs. “Verlaxion gave us the ocean for a reason! Be like a puddle, not a drip!”

“And what if that dreaded sea serpent devours us all?”

“Then you'll be coming out in a stream!” Silver said, summoning more raucous laughter from his cohorts.

“Mrrnnghh...” Theanim Mane sat up, adjusting his goggles. “Why do I even bother...?”

“Whoop!” Kaji called out. “Rainbow Dash! We await to wake!” He waved a hoof. “Have you got the last of the sticks?”

“Uhhh...” Rainbow Dash zoomed over, jerking to a stop in mid-air. She hovered down to where several sharp pikes were leaning against a wooden crate in the surf. “You mean these things?”

“Yes! Wing them over, will ya?!” Kaji winked. “There's a good fish!”

“Shove away!” Flare hollered, flapping her wings and shoving the boat Silver was in.

Kaji did the same to his and Sora's boat, causing Theanim to rock back and forth and struggle to keep his gear in check.

Meanwhile, Rainbow grabbed as many of the polearms as she could. Twilight looked over her shoulder, and the unicorn's expression was far from pleasant.

“Uhhhhhh...” Twilight blinked. “Spears, Rainbow?”

“Mmmmhmmm.” Rainbow gathered more and more, bundling them up in her forelimbs. “Looks like it.”

“And... just what are these going to be used for, you think?” Twilight said.

Rainbow blinked. “... … ...well, they're not for picking the sea serpent's teeth. I can tell you that much.”

Twilight blanched. “We're going to stab the poor thing with spears?!”

“Twilight, that 'poor thing' is so big that these will barely even feel like bee stings,” Rainbow said. “And, besides, the Nealenders have been at this for a while. You saw it when we first arrived, remember?”

“Rainbow, that's not the point!” Twilight exclaimed, hovering around her. “Think about it. How exactly are you going to go about getting that Shard out of the beast's jaws?”

“Uhhhhhhhh...” Rainbow fiddled with the spears in midair. “...expert dentistry?”

“I don't think there's any way to get the monster to cough that thing up short of killing it!” Twilight said.

“Yeah.” Rainbow exhaled, avoiding the unicorn's gaze. “Imagine that.”

“Rainbow...” Twilight flew into her sight, frowning. “The locals here might kill and cook things for meat... and that just may be good for them. But we're not them, are we?”

“Twilight—”

“We gotta stand for something, Rainbow!” Twilight exclaimed. “We're the only representatives of Harmony this side of the Grand Choke—” She gestured dramatically at the pegasus. “You! You're the only representative of Harmony, all things considered!”

“Look, Twilight, I gotta get this Shard out of this big dumb lug's chompers one way or another!” Rainbow exclaimed.

“Yes, but take some time to think about it, Rainbow,” Twilight said. “There's gotta be a safe... clean way we can get this to work without too much bloodletting. I mean...” Her face grew long. “There are standards to everything. Just... who would we be if we gave in and allowed ourselves to kill for the sake of convenience?”

“Yeah...” Rainbow gulped hard, her ears folded back. “That... would b-be a rough spot, wouldn't it?”

“Please.” Twilight held her ghostly forelimbs together. “Promise me that when it comes to grabbing this Shard, you won't go about this the brutal Nealend way?”

“I... I-I...”

“I want to bring the girls back as much as you, but I'm not sure they'd want to come back if they knew we had to cross the line in order for—”

“Grrrr... Twilight...!”

Twilight's pupils shrunk at the sound of Rainbow's growling voice.

The pegasus blinked, seeing her fierce reflection in the unicorn's eyes. Clearing her throat, she smiled and said, “We'll figure out a way, alright? You and me. You can help with that magic sense of yours, okay?” She hugged the spears to her chest. “You'll help me get the drop on Ultimo and we'll find a way.”

Silence.

Twilight exhaled, then smiled with a breathy voice. “Okay. Sure thing.”

“Hey, Landwalker! Wing it or wilt it!”

“Ahem...” Rainbow twirled about, carrying the heavy weight of the spears the entire way. “Coming right away.” Once Twilight couldn't see her, she brandished a pained expression. “Ready or not...”

PreviousChapters Next