• Published 27th Mar 2015
  • 7,307 Views, 12,705 Comments

Ynanhluutr - Imploding Colon



A newly transformed Rainbow Dash continues her flight east.

  • ...
44
 12,705
 7,307

PreviousChapters Next
Pony Party In The Machine World

“Mon dieu!”

“Queen Verlaxion, spare us...”

“Omigosh omigosh omigosh!”

“Whoop! Where did all the water go?!”

“Everypony—” Rainbow gnashed her teeth.

“Please, blessed Queen, lend us your mercy—”

“We're buried! We're buried down here!”

“I said—” Rainbow barked loudly. “—calm down!” Her hollering voice produced an endless echo rippling off in every direction. It had to have been the uncanny acoustics that brought silence to everypony on board the Swan Song. Once the commotion had ceased, Rainbow realized the entire group was resting perfectly still.

“Harpy, at the risk of stating the obvious, but we're stranded somewhere,” Sinrar said in as calm a voice as he could muster. “And I do believe that place is underground.”

“And it's full of immaculate gold metal and dormant machinery, right?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“Erm... oui.”

“What's the matter, Rainbow?” Nick said, his breath trembling. “Can't you see for yourself?”

“It's... it's too bright for me,” Rainbow muttered.

“Too bright?!” Flare stammered. “But... but I-I can barely see my own muzzle!”

Twilight's voice wafted closer to Rainbow. “What's the matter, Rainbow?”

“It's Yaerfaerda, Twi,” Rainbow said, squinting hard. “It's... it's reflecting off of everything.” The mare winced, stumbling across the Swan Song's deck. “Could... could you describe where we are to me?”

“Are you joking?” Theanim Mane's voice cracked. “We're inside a giant metal chamber full of—”

The sound of a hoof whacking Theanim's skull echoed across the nearest wall. “She wasn't talking to you, imbecile.”

“Augh! Gfffmmf... what?!”

“Shhh!” Nick hissed. “Let her do her thing.”

“Okay...” Twilight floated slowly around Rainbow. “The water... is all gone. I mean, we're definitely beneath the lagoon, but this place isn't flooded or anything.”

“The walls, ceiling, and floor are made of gold?”

“Yes, Rainbow. Just... uh... just like you described before.”

“Oh, I forget.” Rainbow smiled awkwardly. “First time you've ever seen this sort of a thing with your own eyes, huh?”

“I guess you could say that. The tower where you found me sunk into the ocean before I could get a good look. Remember?”

“Right.”

“Who... who is she talking to?” Theanim hissed. “Is it that 'Twilight' again?”

“Shhhh!” Sinrar rasped. “Shut up and take pictures, ya goggled bastard.”

Theanim cleared his throat. Rainbow heard a shutter snapping several times from behind her.

“I see... Rainbow, I see a series of platforms,” Twilight's voice said. “I'm... n-not sure what's supporting them.”

“Are we on one of them right now?”

“Yes. The Swan Song is just... lying still on what looks to be a giant bridge. Gold metal. Lots of... intricate lines.”

“Uh huh...”

“I think... yes... I think I see a closed aperture above us. Like a circular door. It must have been where the whirlpool sucked us through.”

“Straight above us?”

“Yes.”

“Then... what happens if...” Rainbow flapped her wings and hovered straight up. “...I approach the seal again?”

The mare became aware of a faint ruby light pulsating along the edge of her peripheral vision. She felt several drops of moisture pelting her spine. The crew of the Swan Song gasped and stammered in fright.

“Down, Rainbow!” Twilight yelped. “Fly down!”

Rainbow Dash touched down on a gold surface next to the Swan Song. “Lemme guess...” She coiled her wings to her side while she tilted her head away from the source of the blinding light. “...it was opening up the lagoon.”

“Uhhh... s-seems like it.”

“Well, at least we know our way out of here.”

“Way... out of h-here?” Nick produced an audible gulp. “But... but that would drown us!”

“Not necessarily,” Rainbow Dash said in a louder tone. “I was always meant to enter here. There should be an easy exit for all of us as well.”

“Always... meant to enter?” Theanim stammered. “But... but I-I don't understand! None of the Order's records mention anything about... about...” The stallion's breath came out in shuddering bursts. “What is this anyways?! A structure?! A laboratory?”

“It's something older than Verlaxion,” Rainbow muttered. “And Celestia.”

“Tres magnifique...” Sinrar slurred.

“But... but Rainbow,” Nick's voice raised. “If this is anything like the places you've told us that you've been to before—”

“Right. I'm on it.” Rainbow side-stepped towards the source of the light. She pointed with a hoof. “Twilight.”

“Yes, Rainbow?”

“What is...” Rainbow winced from the blinding white light. “What's straight in front of me?”

“A wall.”

“What kind of a wall?”

“Uhm... solid gold. Wide. Encompassing. It... uh... it appears to be blocking off both the platform as well as the chasm below.”

“Uh huh...”

“There are... lines in it, Rainbow. It's asymmetrical. I think I see circular patterns. If I didn't know better, I'd say it was a symbol of sorts.”

“You don't say...”

“Want me to describe it to you?”

“No, Twilight.” Rainbow shuffled forward. She heard more shutter snaps from Theanim's camera as she approached the blinding light. “I want you to guide me forward.”

“But... but it's a wall, Rainbow!”

“No, Twilight. It's a door.”

“Wait... d-do you mean?”

“Yes.” Rainbow nodded, shuffling slowly forward with wings outstretched. “Yaerfaerda's so close I could practically lick it. Bet it'd taste like marshmallows too.”

“Rainbow, be careful. You don't know what'll happen when—”

“I know exactly what will happen, Twilight,” Rainbow said. “I just need you to let me know when I'm getting—”

An audible gasp emanated from the location of the Swan Song behind her.

“What?!” Rainbow snarled. “What's happening?!”

“The door!” Twilight breathed. “The lines and circles are lighting up! A deep red, ruby light!”

“Is it opening?”

There was a rush of air.

“Twi?!” Rainbow barked, bracing herself against a wave of hot air. “Is it—”


FLASH!

Rainbow lurched forward, floating through a cosmic expanse.

“—opening?!” She blinked awkwardly, looking left and right at undulating bands of starry nebulae. “Ah jeez... wouldn't you know it?” She gnashed her teeth. “The kaizo kicks in.”

“So I see that the circle hasn't broken.”

Rainbow gasped and looked straight forward.

She saw a curved horizon full of mountains, deserts, oceans, and rivers. A bright light loomed beyond the edge of the disc—a perpetual dawn.

“Your flight is never a lonely one, and yet it is.” The voice echoed across the heavens, reverberating through Rainbow's ears. “Either way, ever bold and ever awesome, you've found more reasons to make progress.” A shimmering aurora rippled to life, and faded as soon as its spectral bands appeared above the lengths of Urohringr. “The circle seeks to complete itself. How very... very fascinating.”

Rainbow blinked, and then her brow furrowed. “You again...”

“We cannot speak for long, Austraeoh,” the voice resembled Whitemane's, and yet it didn't. “For someone is listening.”

“Listening?!” Rainbow gawked. “Who?!”

“Someone who doesn't understand the need to foal yesterday,” said the voice. “Whether she wishes to support or tear asunder, we do not know, and we cannot risk. But you can... and must.”

“Heh... great...” Rainbow Dash bore a tired smirk. “...for a second there, things were getting easy.”

PreviousChapters Next