• Published 27th Mar 2015
  • 7,304 Views, 12,705 Comments

Ynanhluutr - Imploding Colon



A newly transformed Rainbow Dash continues her flight east.

  • ...
44
 12,705
 7,304

PreviousChapters Next
Every Stronghold Deserves To Be Looted

“Three thousand four hundred and fifty... three thousand four hundred and seventy-five... aaaaand... there we are!” The aged stallion hoofed out the last bar of currency in the afternoon sunlight. “Three thousand five hundred bits in miniature platinum bars.”

“Mrmmff...” Theanim Mane winced slightly as he struggled to bag all of the bars. He wobbled on the edge of a metal dock, then exhaled with relief. “Delightful. A true pleasure doing business with you.”

“The pleasure is all mine! I assure you!” The merchant chuckled, gesturing at the blue yacht bobbing in the waters beside them. “You are... certain you wish to go through with this contract? I mean... opportunities don't come my way this often.”

“The vessel works to the full extent of its operational capabilities, if that is what you need to know,” Theanim said with a grunt.

The merchant waved his hooves. “I meant no offense by it, Doctor. I'm just... well... I'm rather surprised you're getting rid of it in the first place! A stallion of your esteemed credentials doesn't usually take up housing in Rust.”

“Believe me,” Theanim grumbled. “I'm not staying.”

“Oh, my apologies.” The merchant blinked, smoothing back his gray mane. “I... I-I had just assumed—”

“We all must make bold new steps if we are to make it through this world.” Theanim sighed, his sad eyes falling one last time upon the hull of the Midnight Dreary. “By Verlaxion's Grace...”

“If you don't mind my asking, where exactly will you go?”

“... ... ...” Theanim bore a tired smile. “A very good question.” He looked up and winked. “Let's say that I'm... letting faith dictate the path.”

“Charming.” The merchant smiled. “I wish you the Queen's Speed.”

“Mrmmfffngh!” Theanim grunted as he slung the bag of bars and bits over his shoulder. “As I to you.”

“Would you... erm... like an escort across town, Doctor?” the merchant asked, glancing nervously at the stallion and the rattling bag he was hauling. “It isn't entirely safe to trot from one platform to another in Rust with that many bits out in the open. I wish such wasn't the case...”

“Do not worry,” Theanim said, shuffling towards the southern drydocks where the Mark Two resided. “I'm not going very far. Not quite so soon, at least.”

“Oh... uhm... very well then.”

“Besides...” Theanim threw a swift glance over his shoulder, eyeing the distant spire of the Syndicate's Stronghold. “I'm not the one who needs to be worried about safety.” He gulped. “Or punctuality...


“Seriously, why aren't they responding?” muttered one guard to another.

Two stallions huddled side by side in front of a thick metal door situated at the far end of the Syndicate's sixth floor corridor. The faint smell of garbage and sewage wafted in through the seams of the doorframe. The smaller of the two thugs pressed his hoof to the intercom next to the door for the umpteenth time.

“Hello?!” he stammered, frowning in confusion. “Are you guys okay out there? I swear, if the smell of rat piss made you faint again, I'm telling Boss Revan what weak pushovers you are!”

“Isn't it obvious?” muttered the taller thug.

“Is what obvious?”

“The morons have left their post,” the other stallion replied. “Probably decided to screw off and visit the brothel in East Dust.”

“Pffft... that place?!” The shorter one chuckled. “They'd be cleaner with the rat piss!”

“Still, Boss Revan deserves to know about this.” The taller one made to move out of the corridor.

“Naw, don't bother him, dude!” The other guard grabbed him by the shoulder. “He's paying us cuz we ain't stupid! For real! We've got this!”

“Then what do you propose?”

“Let's go out there and investigate.”

“We can't open the door! Not without word from the other side!”

“Well, lemme try the intercom again.” The stallion pressed the button several times. He grumbled in frustration. “I don't get it! Is it broken or what...?”

“Try taking a closer look,” cracked a voice from the shadows.

“Hey. Good idea.” Both stallions leaned up real close to the intercom. When their muzzles almost touched, they blinked curiously at one another. “Wait a sec... who said—?”

FWOOOOOSH! Rainbow zoomed out of the shadows, landing on their shoulders with her rear legs.

WH-WHAMMM! Both stallions slammed skull-first into the wall. With a mutual groan, both collapsed and fell hard to the floor, out cold.

Rainbow flipped off and landed neatly beside the door. She exhaled with relief, tossing her mane back.

“Well done, Rainbow!” Twilight exclaimed.

“Mmmmmm...!” Rarity had her eyes covered. “Is it over?

“Chillax, Rares,” Rainbow said, shuffling up to the door. “They'll dream of rust, wake up with migraines, and live crappily ever after.”

“Ohhhhhh...” Rarity allowed herself a look. She fanned herself as she eyed the collapsed bodies. “How I do deplore senseless violence!”

“This time, though, it's not quite so senseless.”

“And at other times, darling?”

“Let's just reunite with our griffon buddy already,” Rainbow grumbled, trotting over the fallen stallions.

“Do you suppose Mr. Wildcard succeeded on his end?” Rarity remarked.

“Good question.” Rainbow slapped her hoof over the intercom's button. “Hey! Yo Wildcard! You out there?!”

Rainbow!” Twilight hissed, her lavender coat rising up like a cat's. “That was completely and utterly stupid on so many levels!

“... ... ...” Rainbow slowly pivoted her head towards Twilight with a bright-eyed grin.

Twilight rolled her eyes.

“Snkkkttt... heeheeheehee!” Rainbow giggled.

Rarity fought it and fought it... but eventually broke out into a dainty laugh.

“Unnnngh...” Sighing, Twilight floated through the wall. “Let me have a look.”

“Yeah... heehee... you do that,” Rainbow said with a breathy chuckle.

A few seconds passed.

Finally, Twilight phased back into the interior chamber. Her coat looked a few shades paler.

“Well?” Rainbow cleared her throat. “Any sign of him?”

“Uhm... I-I-I'm not quite sure.”

“Whatever do you mean, darling?” Rarity asked.

“I... I couldn't see much of anything, really,” Twilight remarked, biting her lip.

“...” Rainbow looked at the door. She took a bold step forward, slapped the button next to it, and opened the thing with a metallic hissss. The rank smell of garbage wafted in, and Rainbow heard the ambient groan of Rust's intestinal corridors stretching on for hundreds of meters. Other than that, it was pitch black dark. Pressing a hoof to her pendant, she shone a ruby spotlight on the immediate vicinity outside the Stronghold.

Gradually, a set of limbs appeared, then another. At last, Rainbow's Element revealed four bloody and bruised guards tied to a broken lamppost, their heads reeling as they struggled with aching unconsciousness.

Rainbow and her fellow cohorts gawked. Then, out from the shadows behind Rainbow, a metal talon tapped her shoulder.

“Gaaaah!” Rainbow spun about, striking a dangerous pose with her front hooves. She stared into a pair of black lenses that emotionlessly reflected her gaping expression. “Jeebus... Jeebus Jehosafarts!” She sneered through gritting teeth. “Seriously! Would it kill you to dangle wind chimes from your tail or something?”

Wildcard merely shrugged. He pointed up the long, thin corridor.

“Yeah...” Rainbow shuddered, stepping in and shutting the door behind them. Schwisssh! “Before the smell of garbage awakens the sleeping beast.”

Wildcard nodded. Sch-Schiiing! He produced two nightsticks and slinked on ahead, becoming one with the shadows.

Rainbow gulped and flapped her wings to keep up with the mercenary. “... ... ...you two are silent, all of the sudden.”

“Yes, well...” Twilight nodded, smoothing her bangs back with a shivering hoof. “We've got a very serious task at hoof.”

“Besides...” Rarity whimpered. “...I've just now become acquainted with the fact that a ghost unicorn cannot make sissy in a spontaneous fashion.”

PreviousChapters Next