• Published 27th Mar 2015
  • 7,308 Views, 12,705 Comments

Ynanhluutr - Imploding Colon



A newly transformed Rainbow Dash continues her flight east.

  • ...
44
 12,705
 7,308

PreviousChapters Next
Before Playing, Please Read the Instructions

“If Verlax believes so much about me...” Rainbow darted her eyes shiftily between the suit of armor and the frozen Desperadoes. “...then why not just show up and talk to me face to face?”

With groaning metal joints, the frozen golem marched across from Rainbow, keeping its icy muzzle trained on her. “The rules of this game are simple, and they shall proceed as follows...”

Rainbow frowned. “Is it because she's a big fat cowardly dragon?!” She pivoted slowly, facing the icy automaton. “Locked up in a mountain somewhere and ruling an entire continent like stupid pawns on a friggin' chess board?!”

“There are five questions,” the construct spoke. Blue circles of blighted blue frost stained the floor where its horseshoes made contact. “You will be given three opportunities to answer each question correctly...”

Rainbow gnashed her teeth. “Are you even listening to a word I say?!”

“By the Queen's grace are you here.” Phantom vapors issued from the armor's icy helm. “By the Queen's wisdom shall your worth be tested.”

“Dang it!” Rainbow stomped a hoof, snarling. “I did not fly all this way and swim all these depths just to be given a stinkin' test!” She dragged her fetlock across the floor, nostrils flaring. “Tell the Queen she can just buck off and get out of my way! There're bigger things at stake here than her and her stupid kingdom!”

“If the Queen did not know that, then nopony would be here right now.”

Rainbow simply stared at the golem, shivering angrily.

“Now, before the Austraeoh proceeds...” The suit of armor leaned back on its metallic haunches. “...it is important that the price of wind is understood—”

Thwpp! In one fell swoop, Rainbow snatched up Bard's metal staff, flew across the room, and swung the bludgeon at the golem. “Rrrrrrgh—“

CLANNNNG! The frozen muzzle of the construct shattered instantly. Its armored plates flew all across the golden platform, littering the floor and rattling off towards the far depths of the machine world below. All that was left was a powdery mess of snow and icicles all around.

Rainbow slumped in place, panting, heaving. She leaned against the pole, staring at the central dais where Yaerfaerda's frozen flame lingered. Gulping hard, the pegasus clenched her eyes shut and shuddered.

Crrr-rkkkk!

“... … …?” Rainbow Dash opened her eyes, tilting her head up.

From another niche within the ceiling, ice cracked, melted, and dissipated completely. Cl-Cl-Clakkkk! A fresh set of armored plates fell to the floor. Then, with blue streams of frosted magic, the metallic shells molded together, forming a brand new and identical suit of armor. An icy muzzle solidified, and a pair of sapphire eyes glowed in Rainbow's direction. “I do not suggest doing that again,” it said, calmly.

Then, not so calmly, it blasted a blue volley of mana straight at Rainbow's figure.

CLANG!!! Bard's staff was knocked expertly from the pegasus' grasp.

“Gaah!” She flinched, stepping back and shaking her hoof from the stinging pain of intense cold. Rainbow shivered in place, staring at where the polearm had settled on the floor. Gulping, she pivoted and turned towards the golem, her ears humbly folded.

The automaton stood quietly, leering over the pegasus.

With a frustrated shudder, the mare spoke: “You... said something of a 'price...'”

The golem slowly nodded.

Rainbow's brow furrowed. “What kind of a price?”

“There are five questions.”

“Uh huh...”

“You lose a question, you lose a friend.”

Rainbow gritted her teeth, jolting from the sound of that.

“That is four questions for four friends, half corporeal. Half incorporeal.” The automaton craned its neck. “The Queen suspects that the Austraeoh knows the risks.”

Rainbow slowly, slowly nodded. With a gulp, she murmured: “And... the fifth question?”

“It is for the Austraeoh to win back her wind,” the golem said. “For, at this place and time, only the Queen can grant it back to her.”

Rainbow frowned again. “And will I get to see her face to face?”

“That is between the Austraeoh and the Queen.”

Silence. Rainbow took a deep breath and stood up straight, eyes firm and body poised.

“Now...” The golem began pacing across from Rainbow Dash. “...for the first Question.”

PreviousChapters Next