• Published 27th Mar 2015
  • 7,308 Views, 12,705 Comments

Ynanhluutr - Imploding Colon



A newly transformed Rainbow Dash continues her flight east.

  • ...
44
 12,705
 7,308

PreviousChapters Next
Bill Paxtrot, Eat Your Heart Out

Rainbow Dash gritted her teeth from all of the light stabbing her vision. Closing her eyes did nothing to lessen the shimmer of Yaerfaerda. As the minutes lurched on, it felt like she was swimming right into a furnace. The greatest difficulty was in attempting to discern the entrance to the underground chambers from the glowing proximity of the otherworldly beacon.

“Rarity...?” Rainbow wheezed.

A figure drifted nearby. “Yes, darling?”

“You'll tell me when I'm getting close to the destination, right?”

“Is it really that hard for you to tell at this point?”

“Uh... yeah.”

“Do not worry, Rainbow Dash,” the unicorn said in a pleasant tone. “Keep on stroking. Tilt yourself upwards by... oh... about thirty degrees.”

Rainbow Dash did as told. Though she still had a hard time seeing what was in front of her, the pain of staring into Yaerfaerda diminished slightly. “Whew... like this?”

“Precisely.”

Rainbow spoke into her helmet once more: “Will I enter at this rate if I just keep this angle?”

“I would expect as much. We're very... very close to the entrance.”

“Is there a door or a valve or—”

“Nope! It's open directly to the ocean!”

“Wait. So it's flooded—?”

“I think not. I imagine that another one of Shoggoth's aquakinetic barriers is being employed.”

“You imagine or you know?

“We have to get closer for me to get a better sense, Rainbow Dash.”

“Mrmmmfff...” Rainbow bit her lip. “It'd better be dry down there or else this is gonna be a very short trip.” She turned to look over her shoulder. “Hey! Twi!” Despite the futility of shouting to a spectre through a helmet and several tons of water, she nevertheless continued: “Do you sense a magical water shield thingy in the compartment up ahead or—?”

A lavender shape darted towards Rainbow. Twilight panted, her face pale. “Rainbow, we have a problem!”

“What kind of a problem?”

“It's Bard!” Twilight pointed at the middle figure swimming along the length of cord. “He's losing oxygen! Fast!”

“What's he down to?”

Twilight's voice cracked, “Three percent!”

“The buck?!?” Rainbow frowned. “The hell is he doing there in his helmet? Yodeling?”

“Rainbow, this is serious!” Twilight exclaimed. “I think there may be a malfunction in his oxygen supply! It's dropping fast!”

“Awwwwww crap on a crap bagel!” Rainbow spun around entirely with a flurry of bubbles and kicked her way back towards the Desperadoes. “Rarity, keep your horn trained on our destination!”

“What in Equestria do you even plan on doing?!” the mare exclaimed incredulously.

“I'll find out when I get there!” Rainbow Dash's wings twitched in desperation as her legs kicked her back towards the other two figures.

Bard and Wildcard jerked visibly at her sudden movement towards them.

She held a hoof up and slowed down, approaching Bard. “Twilight, can you tell how he's doing?”

The mare floated beside her and the stallion. “Rainbow, I can sense magic, mana, and leylines... b-but I can't tell you what his vital signs are!”

Rainbow brought a hoof to her neck—but found her suit blocking the pendant. “Dang it. I need to see Bard's face...”

“How about Wildcard?” Rarity suggested from behind. “His tanks glow just like yours and Bard's.”

“Good thinking.” Rainbow motioned at the confused griffon. He swam closer, and Rainbow Dash gently pushed him into position so that his tanks hovered near Bard's helmet. “Stay right there!” Rainbow tried shouting, but it was no use. “Darn it, if only Camellia could—like—build us a threeway brain line—” She took one look at Bard's face and blanched.

The blue light from Wildcard's tanks revealed a sweating, haggard muzzle. Bard's face was covered with sweat, and he grimaced from labored breathing. Fog and moisture collected along the edges of his visor as his eyes rolled back.

“Friggin' A,” Rainbow hissed through her teeth. “You weren't kidding, Twilight.”

“He's at two percent now. Dropping.” Twilight fidgeted in the water. “But... b-but my readings may not be correct! For all we know, it's worse!”

“Did he have busted airtanks or what?”

“I... I-I'm not sure...”

“Wait!” Rarity exclaimed. “Are they interchangeable?!”

Twilight glanced back while Wildcard leaned in worriedly. “Huh?”

“The tanks!” Rarity pointed. “Surely they're not glued to the suits!”

Rainbow peered her head, turning Bard around somewhat as he examined his dimming tanks. “...that's a good point. Twilight?”

“They're attached through hinged mana couplers.”

“Okaaaaaaaaay...” Rainbow squinted. “Meaning...?”

“They should be able to attach and detach like Rarity said!” Twilight gulped. “But you and Wildcard don't exactly have a lot of air left either.”

“Guess we're gonna have to suffer.” Rainbow glanced back at her dim blue tanks. “Which one of mine has the most air left?”

“Just give me a second...” Twilight floated closer, brow furrowed.

“Hurry, darling!” Rarity squeaked, looking worriedly at Bard's increasingly limp figure. “You must hurry!”

“I'm concentrating!” Twilight growled slightly. At last, she took a deep breath and pointed. “The lower right one, Rainbow Dash. You can relinquish that and still have a few minutes to spare.”

“Right.” Rainbow grabbed the tank in question and—snap!—removed it. Bubbles fountained around her. She felt the pressure in her suit shifting rapidly, and her ears popped. “Duahhhh...”

“Quickly! Quickly, Rainbow! Attach it to Bard—”

“Right! Grnngh!” Rainbow yanked a random tank off Bard's suit and slapped hers against him.

“Upside down! You've got it upsid—”

“Dang it!” Rainbow gnashed her teeth, frantically spun the thing, and attached it correctly. There was a blue flash of light, and Bard's figure jolted slightly.

“Oh Goddess!” Rarity choked on a sob. “He's drowning!”

“Quite the opposite, I think, Rarity.” Twilight stammered. “I just took a look. Seems like he's taking his first big breath in minutes!”

“Will it be enough to help him swim the rest of the way?!”

“I... I don't know.” Twilight gulped, floating between them. “We need more. We need—”

There was another pulse of blue light. A gloved talon held a tank out before Rainbow Dash.

Rainbow looked at Wildcard. He nodded his helmet.

She nodded back, took the tank, removed another from Bard's flank, and pressed it to his suit.

Bard's figure stopped struggling. Rainbow floated so that their helmets were visor-to-visor. She saw his eyes fluttering, and a deep warmth returning to his muzzle. The stallion gave Rainbow a dazed look, then nodded his head ever so slightly.

“Okay...” Rainbow exhaled in relief. “Okay okay okay...” It was then that she realized just how thin the air was in her suit. Her heart palpitated, and she looked Twilight's way. “How much time have we got now?”

“I... I can't tell yet,” Twilight said. “Before you gave up one of your tanks, you had ten minutes of oxygen. Wildcard had fifteen. But... now?”

“'Kay.” Rainbow clenched her jaw and looked behind her. “We gotta move for the entrance. Rarity?”

“Just follow me, darling.” Rarity said, gliding backwards and motioning daintily with her hooves. “And—for Celestia's sakes—breathe shallow!”

“Got it.” Rainbow held her breath, glanced at Wildcard, then motioned with a gloved hoof.

The griffon grabbed one side of Bard while Rainbow grabbed the other. Bard kicked his hooves in gentle, persistent strokes, and together all three figures pressed on through the darkness, approaching a fixed point in the abysmal wall.

PreviousChapters Next