• Published 27th Mar 2015
  • 7,303 Views, 12,705 Comments

Ynanhluutr - Imploding Colon



A newly transformed Rainbow Dash continues her flight east.

  • ...
44
 12,705
 7,303

PreviousChapters Next
The Chronicles of East Horse, Abridged

“And, so you're saying this... uh...” Twilight Sparkle flailed slightly before “uprighting” herself in midair. She floated like a dangling puppet besides Rainbow Dash's hovering figure. “...you're saying that this 'machine world' lies deep underneath the earth's surface?” She blinked. “In every direction?”

Rainbow Dash hovered at a high altitude. She stared east, peering past the humid clouds that hung over the seascape in increasingly thick convection. She could now see the entirety of Kihutaja—or at least the westernmost body of the archipelago. The K.M.C.A. was nestled on the very tip of a slender strip of land, deeply forested, like a sliver of vibrant emerald in the middle of a sapphire bed. East of the Academy, a small town stretched through a clearing in the foreign planted trees. Then, to the northeast, natural palms dotted a sandy lagoon, flanked by rustic houses and bungaloos. Further east of this, a thickly reinforced wooden bridge had been constructed, and it stretched boldly across the ocean's waves, connecting the Academy's island with an even larger body of land—although Rainbow could already tell from the visible north and southern edges that it was only five times the size of the western strip at most. Several carts full of trading supplies rolled east and west across the bridge. There were no boats in the ocean—not even a single canoe.

“Rainbow...?”

Ahem...” Rainbow stopped surveying the archipelago, turning instead to nod at Twilight. “Yup. You burrow deep enough into the earth, and—at one point or another—you're gonna run into a layer of solid gold metal that's as old as the earth itself.”

“And... uh... inside, there are lots of machinery and pedestals equipped with... ruby flame?”

“Well, for the most part. Some things are more consistent than others,” Rainbow said. She started gliding over the lush lengths of the island, staring down at the rooftops of the Academy and its accompanying township. “Sometimes there's a flame lit, other times... I have to light it.”

“Light it? But... how?”

“I wish I could explain,” Rainbow muttered. “But, suffice it to know, the metal layer is everywhere.”

“Wow, Rainbow,” Twilight murmured. “I'm surprised you've gotten far enough underground more than once to witness this!”

“Heh...” Rainbow smirked tiredly. “If there's anything I've never been in short supply of during my trip... it's caves.”

“And you can enter this... 'machine layer' at any time?” Twilight cocked her head to the side, inadvertently floating upside down as her ghostly body caught up with Rainbow. “Just like that?”

“Not always,” Rainbow said. “But, usually, there's a door with the Austraeoh symbol on it and only I'm capable of opening it.”

“Osst... osst-strayy....”

Austraeoh,” Rainbow emphasized. “There's a symbol for it and everything. Whenever I see it, turns out I can... do something, like open a door or turn machinery on or whatever.”

“Where in Celestia's name did you even discover this... this word?”

“Through trial and error,” Rainbow said, shrugging in mid-flight. “But, I've also stumbled upon it in ancient runes... an old-as-flank book. The Xonans had the word as part of their vocabulary.”

“The who?

“Xonans. Tattooed warrior unicorns situated far east of Equestria, beyond Silvadel and just bordering Ledomare—which is now Luxmare.”

“My head is still reeling from the 'tattooed warrior' part.”

“Basically, they've borrowed a language used by a bunch of quadrupeds who once existed in the continent east of Equestria,” Rainbow said. “Turns out ancient civilizations knew about 'Austraeoh.' Exactly what they knew is something I'm still trying to figure out, but a lot of the information I've stumbled upon has been backed up by the words of the Herald, which confirms the existence of the Angels—the prehistoric pegasi who were... kinda/sorta responsible for splitting up Urohringr.”

“Euro-... what?!

“Urohringr. The big ringworld that once included the slightly curved plane we live on today.”

“But... I-I thought our world was flat. The alicorns—”

“Discovered it long after the angels split it apart, or at least that's kinda what the Noble Jury and I gathered when we stumbled on board the free-floating symbol where Commander Hurricane had died, otherwise known as... uhm... Stratopolis...” Rainbow looked back, doing a double-take at Twilight. “You okay there, girl? Am I going too fast?”

“I just... just...” Twilight winced, rubbing her forehead. “It's all so much to take in.”

“For real?” Rainbow arched an eyebrow. “I figured you of all ponies would be quick enough to keep up.”

“I'm a long way from my library, Rainbow,” Twilight said. “And I can't exactly write notes down, now can I?”

“Or make Spike do it. Heh.”

“Rainbow...”

“Well, just tell me which part confuses you,” Rainbow said, flying backwards. “The ancient language part? The Austraeoh part? Or the Urohringr part?”

“Buhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...”

Rainbow sighed, twirling about and descending towards the tree canopy. “Okay okay... let's... uhhhh... start over from the friggin' beginning.”


“They actually had chaos strips?” Twilight asked, gawking up at the pegasus.

“Yup.” Rainbow reclined lazily on a bent palm tree stretching over the crystal clean lagoon. “And they were summoning all sorts of nasty monsters. Well... I guess you could just say Sladesteed was, though he obviously didn't have full control of it.”

“Well, of course not!” Twilight paced around, her lavender hooves balanced perfectly atop the glittery water. “It's chaos! No pony can perfectly control it! Nor should they! Please tell me that justice was served!”

“Close enough,” Rainbow said with a smile. “Gold Petals and I grabbed the strips and lured the monsters into the machine layer. Unless I randomly decide to visit Windthrow again, there's no way in heck that anypony's opening the doors to let those creatures out again.”

“And what about Sladesteed?”

“He got exposed for being the moron that he was and the citizens of Windthrow were released from his grip of fear.” Rainbow shrugged. “End of story.”

“Wow, Rainbow. You must be proud of yourself.”

“Eh... things got super epic later on.”

“And that wasn't?” Twilight smiled. “I bet Gold Petals was very proud that she could help!”

“Er... yeah...” Rainbow squirmed where she lay. “She... she was something, alright.”

“Did you talk to her and the other villagers at all about Equestria?” Twilight asked. “Did you tell them about Celestia, Luna, and the Elements of Harmony?”

“I... uh... I didn't stick around that much.”

“Why not?”

“Doesn't matter.”

“But Rainbow—”

“I took off and started flying again,” Rainbow said. “And, after a bit of... y'know... mountain climbing...”


“...she told me about the Midnight Armory,” Rainbow said. “Well, a lot of it I knew about already, but she certainly opened my eyes about the whole situation.”

Twilight nodded, strolling along the beach besides Rainbow Dash. The ponies left only one series of tracks the whole time. “Whitemane sounds very... very wise.” She smiled. “And loving.”

“She was basically you after drinking a lot of herbal tea,” Rainbow said. “Or maybe Fluttershy on any given day. Heh... the two are about as equally flightless.”

“I wonder why she never bothered to visit Celestia or Luna in my lifetime.”

“Oh, I'm sure she has visited Equestria quite often,” Rainbow said. “I... I just don't remember. Fact is, her lifetime is on a totally different scale than our lifetimes.”

“Oh, to be certain.”

“But anyways, long story short, Whitemane could tell that there was more to my journey than just going on some... epic, suicidal quest.”

“Did she explain the machine world to you?”

“No, but she didn't have to,” Rainbow said.

“What... what do you mean?”

“She pointed me someplace where I could learn on my own,” Rainbow explained. “She pointed me to Darkstine.”

“And what happened in Darkstine?”


It was a scarlet afternoon that hung over Twilight's drooping ears. She sat on the grass, covering her muzzle with a pair of quivering hooves.

Rainbow Dash sat across from her. She took a gentle breath, gazing across the college campus. “Look, Twilight... it's... it's not exactly a pretty world out there. I mean...” She shrugged at the nearby buildings. “This place seems to be doing fine, and lots of villages in Val Roa were squeaky-clean. But, for the most part, the further one flies from Equestria, the nastier the continents get. Darkstine was no exception.”

“I... I know...” Twilight sniffled, clearing her throat in order to compose herself. “And... and even in Equestria there are horrible monsters. I know this...” She blinked the glossy wetness out of her eyes and looked up at Rainbow Dash with a determined frown. “But... but to have done that to innocent young foals?!

“Yeah... the Duke was a real creep, alright.”

“Creep?! He was worse than Nightmare Moon and all of the hydras and diamond dogs of Equestria combined!”

“He was a chump,” Rainbow Dash said. “In the end, Zaap Nator was all talk and no guts, and I introduced his skull to my hooves as a reminder of how lame he was.”

“Still...” Twilight shook her head, sighing. “Such a terrible... terrible tragedy...”

“Maybe,” Rainbow said. “Maybe not.”

“But how can you say that, Rainbow Dash?”

“Very easily, Twi.” Rainbow smirked slightly. “In the end, I got in contact with a piece of the machine world beneath the city. I was able to bring all of their tech back to life, and their civil war ended before it even begun... really.”

“Well, that's... that's quite fantastic, Rainbow, but...”

“But what?”

“It's just so unfortunate.” Twilight swallowed a lump down her throat. “I mean... that so many ponies had to suffer before Nator's treacherous ways would be put to an end.”

Rainbow shrugged. “What matters is that the place is better off now.”

“Yeah, but at what cost?” Twilight sighed. “If only you had the rest of the Elements, Rainbow. If only you had us.”

Rainbow gazed at her. She opened her muzzle, hesitated, then murmured, “The jury's still out on that, Twilight.”

Twilight merely blinked.

Rainbow cleared her throat. “Anyways...” She gazed at the red sea to the west. The world grew dimmer, darker. “I didn't waste any time celebrating. I said good bye to Steelteeth and flew off.”

“You never seem to stay in one place for long.”

“Nope.”

“Well...” Twilight smiled hopefully. “Things couldn't get much worse than that, right?”

Rainbow grimaced slightly.

Twilight blinked. “Could they...?”

“You feeling tired at all?” Rainbow asked.

“Not really. Why?”

“Just... wondering if I should tell you about Silvadel before or after you attempt sleeping...”

PreviousChapters Next