• Published 27th Mar 2015
  • 7,304 Views, 12,705 Comments

Ynanhluutr - Imploding Colon



A newly transformed Rainbow Dash continues her flight east.

  • ...
44
 12,705
 7,304

PreviousChapters Next
When More Than The Oceans Divide

“I knew I would find you around these parts, Echo,” Theanim Mane said, leaning over his edge of the table as he kept his voice hushed. “I just didn't expect to find you in... such dire straits.”

“Who the Hell you calling dire, Theams?” Echo coughed, wheezed, and took another inhale of his pipe. “Mrmmmff... bloody damn Order still has you on a leash, I see. Y'know, ever since you went sailing all over the place, you've pretended to be free. I knew better.”

“I'd appreciate your opinion all the more...” Theanim's eyes narrowed. “...if it didn't come from the receiving end of a pipe.” His muzzle twisted. “Scraping coral? Really?

“Huh?” Rainbow glanced aside. “Are you for real?”

“Hey, we're all entitled to a little relaxation,” Echo exhaled, coughed some more, and murmured: “Some more than others.”

Theanim angrily snatched the pipe from the sarosian's lips. “Damnation, old friend! This is serious! Here my travelling companion and I are, seeking help from an old colleague of mine, and I discover that you're in greater need for assistance yourself!”

“Hey... I've got myself covered,” Echo said, his leafy ears twitching. A sickly pair of slitted eyes remained anchored on the pipe in Theanim's grasp. “I'm... I'm supposed to be meeting up with somepony from the Western Trading Consortium in a few minutes.”

“Western Trading Consortium?!” Theanim did a double-take. “Why... that's a Colonialist Organization! The Syndicate hates their guts!”

“Very aptly put, Theams. Putting your scientific gifts to good use as ever,” Echo said, fidgeting anxiously with his cloak. “Granted, the Syndicate hates anything that scuttles across the ocean's floor with more a jingle to their pockets than them. Ahem.” He reached a shaky hoof across the table. “May I please have my pipe back.”

“Listen, bub.” Rainbow leered across the table. “I may not know your history with the Doc here, but I've seen enough of this guy to know that he doesn't make friends lightly. I can see you've made a few mistakes. We all make mistakes. But, quite frankly, I don't care at the moment.” She slapped a hoof hard against the table. “I've been told that you can get us into Shoggoth. I've got business there. Very important business. Now, we came here to find your shady flank so you can make such a trip possible, and that's going to happen one way or another.”

Theanim sighed, waving a hoof. “Miss Dash, please—”

“Even if I gotta use your friggin' skull as a battering ram to get us down into the lover depths of the Muddredgers!” Rainbow snarled.

All this time, Echo's bloodshot eyes were locked on Rainbow's pendant. “That... that necklace...” An errant hiss escaped his lips. “Mmmm... something about it. A smell?” He coughed. “No. What in Verlaxion's sleet...?”

Rainbow leaned back with a disgusted expression. “The fudge? Is he hallucinating?” She sighed, glancing lethargically at Theanim. “It's all that 'coral scraping' stuff, isn't it?”

“Or perhaps it's because Princess Luna's enchanted your Element, Rainbow,” Twilight suddenly said.

Rainbow locked in place. She glanced to her far right. “Is... is that really it, you think?” she whispered.

“It would make sense,” Twilight said.

“Are you detecting anything to suggest otherwise.”

“No. But...” Twilight tilted her head around curiously. Eventually her horn aimed at a far corner where two shadows resided. “...I get this funny feeling...”

“What's the matter, Miss Dash?” Theanim asked.

Ahem...” Rainbow leaned once more towards Echo. “Something about my pendant interest you?”

“I... I don't know...” Echo rubbed a hoof over his dark face. “Just... just so tired. This damn ocean is so bright.” He gazed towards the front door. “And where the Hell is that Consortium bastard?”

Rainbow grasped the sarosian's hoof and yanked it towards her until it made contact with the pegasus' necklace.

Echo instantly shrieked. Three tables away, a series of wine glasses shattered. The patrons grumbled in surprise and confusion.

“Echo!” Theanim gasped, eyes wide. “Are... are you okay, old chap?”

Echo leaned back, rubbing his hoof. His slitted eyes rested like diamonds on the sight of Rainbow. “What... that...” He gulped. “Who... are you?”

“Somepony who's traveled a long... long way to get here. I've been too many, many lands.” Her brow furrowed. “And the place I've come from is the home to the Princess of the Moon.”

Echo's fangs showed. He cocked his head to the side. “... ... ...the Mother of Nightmares?”

Theanim did a double-take. “I beg your pardon?” He looked at Rainbow. “Miss Dash, what exactly are you doing to my friend here?”

“Shhhh...” Rainbow kept her eyes trained on him. “Just stay calm, Doc. I think we're making progress here.”

“You have his attention, Rainbow, darling!” Rarity squeaked. “Do keep it up!”

“You know her... you feel her, don't you?” Rainbow smiled. “The patron alicorn to all sarosians?”

“Yes... the Mother of Nightmares...” Echo suddenly spat on the table, frowning. “If she's really real, then I hope her rectum turns into tarantulas.”

Rainbow's ears drooped.

“Erm... then again...” Rarity gulped.

“Echo, a degree of civility, please,” Theanim said.

“No, screw you and your fruitarded friend here!” Echo pointed, seething, his fangs more and more pronounced. “Just how many yahoos have shitted across my path, Theams, making some bold claim or another about the Mother of Nightmares?! Isn't it enough that I'm at the very bottom bitch rung of the bitch ladder?!”

“The hay is he going on about?”

Theanim sighed. “Echo's kind is... a rarity in these waters, and the surviving members have often been the brunt of ignorant prejudice throughout the centuries—”

“Don't sugarcoat it ya dust farting jackass!” Echo snorted. “We were the Seventh Tribe! But that didn't fit your precious Verlaxion's thawed vision of a perfect future, now did it?! Hrmmmf! 'Oh wow, they eat bugs and like to make love upside down! Gotta dunk that in the ocean and wipe our Goddess hooves of the whole thing!'”

“Yowsers.” Rainbow glanced aside at Theanim. “Your Queen—like—totally sucks!”

Theanim rolled his eyes, grumbling. “It's not that simple!

“Pffft! I bet that's a good excuse for when you're collecting coins from all the unfair taxes the Queen's Council puts on us!” Echo smiled bitterly. “Isn't that right, old friend? Except when it comes to visiting the Eastern Reaches! You can't hoofcuff us over there!” He smirked at Rainbow. “Not much worth conducting expeditions along the abysmal falls! I'll tell you that much!”

“Alright, fine!” Theanim frowned. “And just what marvelous deeds have you done to liberate your endangered and oppressed brethren?! The last time I saw you, you were a healthy stallion with a lot of bits on his person! Did you give them away to all of the Eastern Reach villages? Or just waste them on illegitimate enterprises and coral scraping? Hmmm?”

Echo hissed and jerked upwards to jump across the table.

“Okay... OKAY!” Rainbow spread her wings wide, holding the two apart. “Sit your butts down before I turn this table into a mutual crown for the both of you. And believe me... I can and will do it.”

Echo seethed... seethed... and finally plopped down to his seat. “I... mrmmmf... I want my pipe back.”

Theanim tossed it limply into the middle of the table.

Echo sighed and reached for it. As he did so, he caught the doctor's hard-edged gaze.

“We've been through many, many things together, old chap,” Theanim said. “Countless expeditions and scientific ventures. More than once, I stood up for you when ignoramuses within the Order attempted to marginalize your gifts and talents. I saved you from half-a-dozen trepiditious situations. I even carried you when you began your decline. Needless to say, at this moment, you owe me more than anypony has owed me before.”

Echo stared at him. Glared at him. “If that's the truth, then why did you leave me to the whim of the waves... old friend?”

“Because at some point a stallion gets sick of helping an equine who will not help himself,” Theanim said. “I had a smidgen a hope... up until you sold yourself out to ponies who believed in bits and coral more than knowledge and harmony.”

The two stallions were silent.

Rainbow's gaze quietly bounced between the two of them.

Echo leaned back with a sigh. He stared down at his pipe, but refused to pluck it back into his mouth. At last, after a sideways chirp, the sarosian pointed limply at the mare. “Where did you really find this mare, Theams?”

“She spoke the truth earlier, old chap.” Theanim smirked slightly. “She's come from a land far, far away. Even across the Blight.”

“The Blight? Pffft...” Echo rolled his bloodshot eyes. “Impossible.”

“Say what you will. But the Blight is gone.”

“Gone?!”

“And several more miraculous changes have affected the seas,” Theanim said. “Some of which I've witnessed myself. I, for one, believe her.”

Rainbow looked at Theanim.

Echo sat up straight. “And... so... you really think she's met...” He glanced at Rainbow. “...the Mother of Nightmares?”

Theanim calmly replied, “I've never made it my business to know much of your culture... of your Tribe, Echo. Mostly because you never elected to share with me. But...” He looked over at Rainbow. “She's spoken to me several times of an alicorn princess who controls the moon.”

“And just two years ago, she came out of imprisonment there,” Rainbow said. “An imprisonment that lasted a millennium.”

Echo's dark brow furrowed. “Is that a fact? Hmmmf...”

“Would you like to know more?”

“Nnngh... what the Hell...” Echo tossed the pipe back into the center of the table. “I've lost my damn buzz anyways.”

Rarity rolled her eyes. “How charming.”

“Tell us...” Rainbow said. “...why are you meeting up with this Consortium pony? Sounds like the Syndicate wouldn't be too happy about that.”

“The Syndicate isn't happy with a lot of things,” Echo grumbled. “Which is the whole reason.”

“Wait...” Theanim blinked nervously. “Echo, did... did you—?”

“I'm in it deep with them, Theams,” Echo said.

“How deep?”

The sarosian's nostrils flared. “About seven thousand bits. But that's only because I messed up an assignment given to me by the Southern Hoof.”

“The... the Southern Hoof?!?” Theanim practically wheezed, his eyes wide. “Damnation, Echo!”

“Huh? What?” Rainbow did a double-take.

“They needed an extraction here in Rust,” Echo said. “This was about ten months ago. At the time, I was a listening shadow. Nopony would have expected me to start digging for anypony. I thought I could arrive here, get the job done, and then get out. However, I... ran into a few rough patches and I had to abort. But that wasn't without losing some of the local Boss' bits. Only, instead of being hoofed off, they just fell into the drink.”

“You mean they fell into the nets of coral scrapers!” Theanim snarled.

“No. I mean, literally. I friggin' dumped that shiet into the harbor in order to look empty-hoofed and...” He shuddered. “...now I can't find the stuff.”

“Queen Verlaxion, spare me...” Theanim face-hoofed. “Mrmmmf... and just how deep are you in debt with the Southern Hoof?”

“Because of the failed job?” Echo gulped. “Ten thousand bits.”

Theanim practically head-desked.

“Sorry, old friend. But if you want to get to Shoggoth... the last pony you wanna ask favors from is a loser like me.”

“Who in the flying buck is the Southern Hoof?” Rainbow asked.

“The Syndicate,” Echo replied.

“But... but I thought Rust was where—”

“No, ya bitch brain!” Echo hissed. “The Syndicate of Shoggoth!”

Rainbow practically shrieked: “You mean there're two Syndicates?!”

Several surly faces turned curiously towards the table.

Theanim Mane moaned: “Do keep your voice down, Miss Dash—”

“How could you not friggin' tell me that there were more than one Syndicate?!” Rainbow hissed loudly, frowning hard.

“It's all one Syndicate, really,” Theanim explained. “They've just... lost connections with one another over the years, and now they exist as splinter groups in each major port city east of the Colonialist archipelagos. Normally, they're on good terms with each other, conducting friendly business arrangements.” He cast Echo a glare. “Until somepony goes in over their head and inadvertently creates a rift between them... causing unnecessary harm to himself.”

“Hey... what can I say?” Echo picked up his pipe again and lit it. “Beats being sunburnt on those love cruises you go on for the Queen.”

“Only a completely asenine fool would believe in such a thing.”

“And I've learned from the best.” Echo exhaled a green column of smoke and leaned back, smiling dumbly. “Mmmmmmm... I'm so dead tomorrow.”

PreviousChapters Next