• Published 27th Mar 2015
  • 7,304 Views, 12,705 Comments

Ynanhluutr - Imploding Colon



A newly transformed Rainbow Dash continues her flight east.

  • ...
44
 12,705
 7,304

PreviousChapters Next
Want You As A New Recruit

“I can't. Sorry.” Nick shuddered, strapping a book bag to his flank as he trotted swiftly out the dormitory. “I don't have the time... resources... or money.”

“Well, then... uh...” Rainbow Dash fluttered after him, fidgeting in midair. “How could I... erm... help you get those three things?”

“You can't,” Nick grunted, passing several students to stepped back just to gawk at the prismatic pegasus tailing him. “As in, it doesn't matter.”

“Oh come on!” Rainbow tossed her forelimbs. “You were so quick to help me out the past few days! Lemme guess... it's the cane that Dr. Dude has, isn't it?”

“Rainbow—”

“Would you want me to give him a few thwacks to the skull in return? Would that make you less grumpy?”

“It's not that I'm a grump!” Nick said, swiveling to face her. He calmed down, took a deep breath, and said, “It's only that I've used all of my money and resources building a boat of my own already.”

Rainbow Dash blinked. “You have?”

Twilight floated up and gaped over her shoulder. “He has?”

“Well...” Nick's ears folded as he threw a melancholic gaze to his right. “...that, and asking a pretty unicorn out to homecoming.” He brushed his bangs back. “Funny... I made friends with at least three mares that semester and all of them came down with Coconut Flu at around the same time...” A long pause. “Ah well. Live and let date.”

“Would you mind telling me more about this boat that you made?” Rainbow Dash leaned in, arching an eyebrow. “Like... how long ago did you make it?”

“Oh, Rainbow, it's been... it's been three years.” Nick sighed. “It was the last boat I made at home before sailing here.”

“I thought you couldn't bring boats into the Blight.”

“I know. I have it docked along the harbors of Eastern Kihutaja,” Nick explained. “Which is as far as the Blight ever extended.”

“And you've just left it... tied down there this whole time?” Rainbow asked. “Floating?”

“Rusting?!” Twilight added.

“Yeah, what she said—er...” Rainbow went cross-eyed while Twilight face-hoofed.

“You know...” Nick smiled wearily. “I don't think I'll ever get over that.”

Rainbow squinted at him. “Get over what?”

“He means the way that you're constantly talking to a pony he can't see—” Twilight began.

“Yeah, I get that!” Rainbow hissed at her.

Nick waved a numb hoof. “I rest my case.”

“Look... uhhhh... Nick...” Rainbow touched down and stood behind the stallion, resting a hoof on his shoulder. “This boat of yours. Do you think it's still good enough to set sail?”

“Wowsers, I just realized how freakin' tiny you are,” Nick gasped.

Pay attention!” Rainbow snarled, summoning frightened looks from passer-by's. “Can this boat still set sail?”

“Pffft! Of course! I built it!”

“He's right, you know...” Twilight “stood” beside Rainbow Dash, fighting the urge to giggle. “No wonder Applejack could rein you in so easily by biting your tail.”

“Dang it, girl, I'm trying to—” Rainbow started to whisper before casting Twilight a double-take. “Wait... really?”

“Well, it's been a long time since I set her out in open water,” Nick thought out loud. He tapped his chin, gazing through the tree canopy above. “But with a new sail and a few upgrades, I'm certain I can get her to be navigable again. Why do you ask—Wait.” He turned to blink at her. “This is gonna turn into a big dumb adventure thing, isn't it?”

“Nick.” Rainbow smiled. “I really need to find these Five Seeds that the ancient texts speak of. Sinrar's confirmed that they exist for real. Once I get to the first Point of Interest, I'll know whether or not the other four are worth coming into contact as well.”

“Can't you... I dunno... wing it?”

“I would if I knew this place and if I knew where I could stop and rest! But I don't!” Rainbow paced around him, exclaiming, “Sinrar does, but he's just an old fart! Once I get the detailed maps from him, it's going to be a crazy game of seafaring and exploration—and I'm only good at half of that!”

“You could learn,” Nick said. “Sailing the high seas doesn't take much! Just casting a sail and throwing anchor!” He blinked. “Also scurvy!”

“Dude... I... uh...?” Rainbow glanced nervously aside at Twilight. “I haven't exactly got all the time in the world.”

“Yeah, so?”

She bit her lip, staring at him with puppy dog eyes.

Nick recoiled. “Wait... do you mean to suggest that... th-that...” He gulped and pointed at himself, shivering. “That I... me... I me mine help you sail across the world?!”

“Pfft! Not the friggin' world, dude! Just to the first Seed!” Rainbow smiled. “If what I and my Princess Luna believe is true, then I might just get the energy boost I need to make the rest of the trip by air!”

Twilight's lavender muzzle scrunched. “Wait, I don't remember any of that in our conversat—”

And as soon as I've reached the first point...” Rainbow spoke louder. “...you can head on back!”

“But... but the semester is just about over! I'm about to have a break!”

“And what would you wanna do on your break, huh, dude?” Rainbow smirked. “Traipse around on hoof, chasing tail in utter futility?”

“Hey, girl...” Nick pointed. “Watch it.”

“Or...” She grasped his shoulder and pointed towards the east horizon beyond the K.M.C.A. campus and trees. “...go on an awesome high sea trip to some unknown destination with only the wisdom of Sinrar to guide us...”

“It's... still not much of a pitch you've got there,” Nick said. “I'm sorry, Rainbow. As much as I'd love to get my hooves on my old boat again, I'm afraid I'll have to pass.”

With that said, the stallion sauntered off with a dull sigh.

Rainbow stood, staring after him. Suddenly, Twilight perked up, and she leaned over, whispering in the pegasus' ears. Rainbow's eyes twitched, and she muttered, “...native island mares?”

Nick immediately spun around. “I beg your pardon?”

“Uhm...” Rainbow fidgeted. “We... c-could...” She smiled awkwardly. “...run into deliciously sun-tanned native island babes!” Her grin widened as her tail flicked. “The kind who haven't seen a stallion in years!”

“... … ...” Nick gazed at her. “... … ...let's go find Sinrar.” He trotted swiftly, taking the lead.

PreviousChapters Next