• Published 27th Mar 2015
  • 7,309 Views, 12,705 Comments

Ynanhluutr - Imploding Colon



A newly transformed Rainbow Dash continues her flight east.

  • ...
44
 12,705
 7,309

PreviousChapters Next
Just Call Upon the Sea Dashies

Theanim Mane paced and paced. His shuffling hooves dragged him in an endless ellipse. Meanwhile, his eyes remained fastened to the double doors in front of him.

Echo blinked blearily at the scene. He glanced at the guards, at the pair of heavy doors before the group, then at the circling scientist. At last, he muttered: “Try and relax, Theams.”

“I am relaxed, old chap!” Theanim grumbled, nevertheless twitching. His ears folded back as he glanced at the doors once again. “I'm simply... getting my exercise.” He gulped. “There's no telling just what I may need to be in shape for, as of late. Nope... no t-telling whatsoever...”

“It's only a Siren Princess,” Echo muttered. “It's not like she's summoned the world's only pegasus with a fruit-colored mane just to dine on her entrails with a bunch of telepathically controlled sharks.”

“I wasn't even remotely thinking that, Echo.” Theanim scuffled to a stop, frowning. “But, rest assured, I most certainly am now!”

Wildcard exhaled heavily out his beak's nostrils. Turning towards the others, he gestured with his metal and flesh talons.

“Look, just have a lil' bit of faith in the mare!” Bard frowned. “For cryin' out loud! She's been through a heap more worse straits than this! I mean... ya reckon?” Huffing, he tilted the brow of his hat back. “Besides, ain't like there's a lick of good we can do about this here situation. From the look of them doors, I can't kick 'em open without shatterin' my legs somethin' awful.” He eyed the glowing prongs of the guards' spears. “Let's not forget what them pokers can do to a stallion's juices.”

“I'm just trying to piece it all together,” Theanim muttered. “The Princess summons Rainbow Dash. She lets us get deep enough into her very own city to expose and purge it of corruption. Then—out of nowhere—she intervenes, but not without further warning Rainbow Dash of Revan's arrival.”

“Ya reckon she just wants to have this shindig go down her way?” Bard remarked.

“But if she's had the power to manipulate our very movements...” Theanim squinted into nothingness, then gasped. “Verlaxion's Sleet!” He gulped. “What if... what if the Syndicate has won her over?!” His teeth chattered. “This could all very well be a work of grand deception!”

“Yeesh,” Echo murmured. “I'm the one coming out of an addiction. Why do you sound like the paranoid one?!”

“You have to admit, old chap, that it's a very logical possibility!”

“I'll admit the same thing I did when I first met you,” Echo said. “You're full of it.” Just then, the double doors groaned, and Echo's slitted eyes darted up. “Don't look now...”

Wildcard, Bard, and Theanim turned around.

Rainbow Dash trotted towards them. She took one glance at the guards, cleared her throat, and uttered: “At ease.”

Cl-Clakkk! With a rattle of their spears, the guards shuffled back, making a clear path between Rainbow and her companions.

“Well, I'll be!” Bard smirked. “Back from the Princess Summit?”

“Mr. Bard, please.” After chiding him, Theanim rushed towards Rainbow's side. “Rainbow Dash, is...” He squinted nervously. “Is it truly you?”

Rainbow's brow furrowed. “You think I'd let a psionic fish goddess take control of my brain?” Rainbow remarked. “Besides, I think I got more out of us just chatting.”

“Just chattin'?!” Bard squinted suspiciously.

Wildcard flung his talons through the air in several jagged movements.

Bard nodded. “Yeah, what about?”

“Look, here's the long and short of it,” Rainbow said, raising her hooves. “She wants to help us kick the Syndicate out of their high seat.”

“Whew...” Theanim exhaled, plopping back on his haunches. “Well, that's certainly a relief!”

“Only it's not gonna be easy.” Rainbow tongued the inside of her muzzle. “Erm... lemme rephrase that.” She leaned forward. “It's not gonna be simple.”

“Hell...” Bard smirked. “When is it ever?” He cleared his throat. “Still, the Princess is fixin' to lend us a hoof... er... or fin?”

“She's going to help me get to Pink—er... ahem... she's going to help me get to where I need to go,” Rainbow explained. “But... I've got her solemn promise that she's going to help you two—” She pointed at Bard and Wildcard. “—as well.”

The Desperadoes exchanged glances, then looked back at Rainbow Dash. “We're listenin',” Bard said while Wildcard nodded.

“Doc...” Rainbow turned towards Theanim. “What do you know about the Royal Tombs of Shoggoth?”

Theanim blinked. “Oh! Uhm...” He smoothed his bangs back, then—once his thoughts were recollected—he spoke: “They... they're ancient chambers carved deep into the rock beneath the Muddredge City. They serve as the final resting places for countless generations of the Siren Royal Family. Aside from the burial ceremony, no pony—commoner, royal, or otherwise—is allowed inside the hallowed chambers.”

“Right.” Rainbow nodded. “Right now, they're building the burial site for Camellia.”

“I'd imagine so,” Theanim said. “The carving process takes the better part of a ruling siren's entire reign.” He squinted. “But... what does that have to do with—?”

“The burial chambers are the only things that lie between us and the next Seed.”

“Then how are we expected to get you there?”

“Not even Camellia can publicly grant us access. However...” Rainbow smirked, staring slyly at the group. “There are ways inside... especially since an estreemed group of landtrotters and seaponies are collectively constructing the latest tomb.”

“Pfft! What are you expected to do?!” Bard shrugged. “Swim yer way in?”

Rainbow turned to stare at him.

Wildcard glanced at Bard while the stallion paled. “Well, then... shiet.”

“According to Camellia, only two organizations here in Shoggoth have possession of deep sea diving suits,” she said. “One group, of course, are the ponies tasked with surveying the construction of Camellia's tomb.”

“And the other group?” Bard asked.

Wildcard suddenly gestured a “throat being slit.”

Rainbow nodded. “Right. The Syndicate. They'll never confess to having them, but Camellia has read enough minds to know that they've got some suits stashed away somewhere.”

“No doubt to access remote parts of Shoggoth,” Echo said. “It's how they sneak in on their economic competition and lay the pressure on thick.”

“Goddess, Echo!” Theanim exclaimed. “You know more than you let on!”

“I always do,” he muttered. “So, how do we stick it to these chuckle-fudgers and make off with their suits?”

“Has the Princess completely overlooked the Marine Auction House?” Theanim remarked.

“That's just it. There's a plan at hoof,” Rainbow said. “A pretty crazy plan. But... I-I can't quite do it alone.” She looked fixedly at those gathered before her. “For us to get through this so that I get to swim to the next Seed, the Desperadoes get to rob the Syndicate of their bits, and Theanim gets to strip the Syndicate of their power, then we're gonna have to be in three places at once. Or—at least—two and a half.”

“Just friggin' tell us what to do already,” Echo said.

“You... might not like what it involves,” Rainbow said.

“If it gets all of this nonsense over with and puts an end to a bunch of douchetards who've been extorting lives between here and the edge of the world, then I'm all for it,” Echo grumbled. “The cowcolt and his birdy boyfriend get their bits, Theanim gets justice, and you get to scamper off with all your imaginary marefriends. On top of all that, the ponies of Rust and Shoggoth get to sleep easier. It's a win-win-win-win scenario, so let's just do it already.”

Theanim blinked. “Wow, old chap. That was remarkably... sober of you.”

“Yeah,” Echo sighed. “I'm starting to hate it.”

“Well then...” Bard fanned himself with his hat and smirked. “Let's get this show on the road already!”

“Right...” Rainbow nodded. “So... it's gonna go like this...”

PreviousChapters Next