• Published 27th Mar 2015
  • 7,309 Views, 12,705 Comments

Ynanhluutr - Imploding Colon



A newly transformed Rainbow Dash continues her flight east.

  • ...
44
 12,705
 7,309

PreviousChapters Next
Bleak's Plummet, Where The Shadows Lie

“What, the ol' Doc?” Bard shrugged with a smile. “He went out for a stroll with Dubya-Cee to get their bearings on the ship, I reckon. If we figure out just what Rust is deliverin' to Shoggoth right under our flanks, then it might give us a better idea 'bout how long 'til the Mark Two ships back out.”

“Why's that important?” Rainbow Dash muttered, rubbing her head.

“Well, once the Desperadoes have collected, we ain't fixin' to stay long.”

“You do know that our whole business with the Southern Hoof in Shoggoth is gonna last longer than a day, right?” Rainbow Dash frowned. “And that the only place the Mark Two is going is back to Rust?”

“Well...” Bard shrugged. “Sure beats takin' the hard rock-hops due east,” he said. “Besides... heh... odds are the Northern Hoof are totally wrecked. The best place for Dubya-Cee and I to avoid scrutiny would be the most ironic place. We'll hop back through Rust, breeze past all the baddies, and high-tail it to the northern archipelagos!”

“And then what?” Rarity asked.

Ahem...” Rainbow Dash cocked her head aside. “And then what?”

“Lavish ourselves on the spoils of sweet, sweet victory, of course!” Bard slicked his mane back and plopped his hat down with a smirk. “Until the next contract, at least.”

“Yeah, right,” Echo suddenly droned from the couch he was reclined on. “Meanwhile, I'm wasting away in a prison somewhere.”

“Pffft! Dun ya go all sour on us again, bucko,” Bard said, rolling his eyes. “T'ain't gonna be a Syndicate no more to flog ya!”

“Syndicate... Council of Shoggoth... Rohbredden Scientific Order...” Echo shrugged and shrugged. “One way or another, somepony's gonna catch up with me now and I'll bite it real hard.” He huffed. “I was doing just fine in the dark until you morons pulled me to the surface for these shitty charades.”

“Hmmmf. You in the dark with coral ya mean.”

“Go huff a cow,” Echo belched, rolling over with a twitch of his leafy ears. “'Bout all you're good for anyways.”

Bard sighed, nevertheless smiling. “Leave it to a Midnighter to have a sunny disposition.”

Ream me.”

“Well, alright!” Bard waved and trotted out the luxury suite. “A drifter knows when the wind's shiftin'. I think I'm gonna go get some... slightly less stuffy air.” The metal door groaned and clattered shut behind him.

Twilight Sparkle sighed. “Sometimes I wonder why our little sarosian here is so much worth fighting for.”

“Twilight!” Rarity suddenly gasped. “That's no way to speak of the poor soul!”

“But all he does is barrel himself down a path of self-destruction with no care or thought for the consequences!” Twilight exclaimed. “No wonder so many factions want him imprisoned or dead or even worse!”

“Who here couldn't imagine themselves in a desperate place or scenario?”

Twilight frowned. “Rarity, just a day or two ago you were of the firm belief that this 'ruffian' should be left to his own devices.”

“It's not very ladylike to put words in my mouth.”

“Well?!” Twilight's voice cracked. “Was it or wasn't it the truth?”

“Girls...” Rainbow sighed, rubbing her head some more.

“Admittedly, I had a very low first impression of the stallion. That is true,” Rarity said. “But I did some thinking, and I realize that many ponies back in Ponyville used to have incredibly disfavorable opinions of me—only to have such presumptions change after prolonged exposure.”

“Rarity, when were you ever a drug addict who was willing to sell out her own friends or family?!”

“Girls...” Rainbow growled.

“Twilight, that's not the point!”

“Well...?” Echo muttered suddenly.

Rainbow looked over at the couch. “Well what?”

Echo's thin body stirred as he groaned towards the walls. “Are you going to stand there, murmuring to the shadows forever, or are you gonna buzz off back to bed?”

“Who's murmuring to who, here?”

“Hey...” The sarosian stirred, turning over. Thin slitted eyes peered out from beneath the sheet draped over him. “I know a feverish state of mind when I see one. You had Theams freaking his shit right out... what with you flopping all over the place like a gutted rainbow trout.”

Rainbow Dash winced heavily. “Er...” She clasped her pendant again. “Yeah.” A gulp. “Right.”

“What's your vice, exactly?” he murmured. “Snow clouds? Aurora streams? Wind crystals? I hear lots of pegasi from the upper spires of Rohbredden get a real buzz huffing the magic built into the atmospheric modulators.”

“Haven't you figured it out by now?” Rainbow muttered. “I'm not exactly from around here.”

“Heh... right...” Echo's eyes fell briefly on her pendant. “You've met the Mother of Nightmares and all that bull hockey.”

“So... you believe me?”

He stifled a yawn. “Does it friggin' matter?” His body turned over again. “When I'm of no use to you anymore, you'll dump me like a cuddy log and fly off to Verlaxion-knows-where.” His body shuddered. “One way or another, everypony does...”

Rainbow bit her lip. She looked over her shoulder. Twilight gazed at the floor. Rarity, in the meantime, motioned her hoof in Echo's direction, her expression sympathetic.

“So... uh...” Rainbow looked over at the bat pony again. “...Bleak's Plummet.”

With a jolt, Echo's body shrank into a fetal position. He sighed, gradually stretching his limbs under the sheet again.

Rainbow's eyes narrowed. “What's that all about?”

“Mrmmmff... who the buck cares?”

“Maybe I do,” Rainbow said. She glanced back at Rarity. “...maybe somepony else.”

“You're full of it.”

“Good.” Rainbow shuffled a few steps over. “Poke me with some words so I can spill it all loose.”

“Ask Theams,” the sarosian grumbled. “He seems keen on filling you in on all things encyclopedic.”

“From what I've gathered, the Doc doesn't know jack about what you've been up to before and after the two of you hung out together,” Rainbow said. “You're right. It's not like you're gonna know me forever. So... how about it?” She cocked her head aside. “What's up with Bleak's Plummet and why do the 'midnighters' there want to tear you a new one?”

Echo sighed... then sighed some more. With a groan, he forced himself to sit up on wobbly legs.

Rainbow reached in to assist him, but a coarse tail whipped her back. She watched as he tilted his dizzy head towards her, fangs showing.

“I'm not a welcome sight.”

“Dude.” Rainbow shrugged. “I never said that you—”

“It's a friggin' fact,” he grunted. “Colonialists? Continentalists?” He shrugged. “Nopony who sails these seas smiles on my kind. They call us 'midnighters,' creatures so ugly and despicable that the only kind of life we can live is under the shroud of darkness. We're vagabonds of the night, scattered like dead water fleas on the surface of the swirling toilet that is life. Legend has it that eons ago, our nocturnal ancestors spat in the face of Queen Verlaxion. We remember it differently. She didn't extend the same graces to us as she did to the other Six Tribes. But it doesn't matter. One way or another, Verlaxion didn't allow us to partake in Unification. We were exempt from her warm blessings, left to die in the frosted howl of night. So we flew to the furthest ends of the world, where the waters drop off into a void where they too can be forgotten. The end of elements is the last bastion for our survival.”

Rainbow Dash gulped. “Bleak's Plummet.”

Echo nodded. “'Inhospitable' is the very word. A series of jagged shoals stand defiantly against the rushing waters, constantly drenched with moisture, in a maelstrom where there is no peace or silence... ever. There, one finds a home for denizens of darkness, banished from every other safe harbor this plane can afford. It was there that I was born, and from the first night of my existence I was told that I wouldn't live very long. If the foals of Verlaxion didn't choose at random to spear me from their ships, then I'd grow sick of feeding on all the dead matter floating east from the grand ocean's population, and I'd do the same as so many forebearers ahead of me: toss myself to the drink and let the waves carry me into the stars, where a cold kiss of death would offer life's only reward.”

“How... how could anypony live like that?” Twilight stammered.

Rainbow Dash stared fixedly at him. “I'm guessing you chose not to stand for such a lifestyle.”

Echo slowly shook his head. “I had seen life west of the falls. I had seen the warmth and the riches that this world had to offer. No longer did I want to dwell in a poisoned place. My biggest mistake was thinking that I could bring others with me. It would be my last attempt at kindness... ever. My tribe—as a reward for my daring—branded me a traitor to the honor of the Mother of Nightmares. The ponies of Bleak's Plummet hold firm to the belief that we are all descendants of the Maiden of the Moon, the very mare who led our exodus to the edge of the world to begin with nearly a millennium ago. When I suggested we abandoned this... this 'post,' I was immediately labeled an outcast among outcasts. There is nothing lower than this... believe me.”

“What... what did they do?”

“What do you think?” His nostrils flared, and he stretched one of his leather wings out. As the blanket draped off, Rainbow noticed—for the first time—a crooked set of joints set deep within his wing structure. “They took away the Moon's blessing, permanently.”

Twilight's jaw dropped. “They... they broke his wings?”

“I was shortly thereafter thrown to the seas. A continentalist ship picked me up... but anypony on board would rather swallow a sear urch than bother to doctor a midnighter's wounds.” He exhaled slowly. “The damn wings never mended properly. And now, I'm about as airworthy as a rock. This was before I met Theams. He doesn't talk about it because I don't talk about it. So buck you very much, ya sack of shit.” Echo turned over, drawing the sheet back over himself with angry punctuation.

Rainbow opened her muzzle to say something, when she heard a sharp gasp from her side. She looked over to see Rarity covering her face with two forelimbs. Tears leaked out as the unicorn shook, quivered. Twilight, bearing a long face, leaned over and nuzzled the mare.

“How... h-how...?” Rarity lifted her puffy expression, sniffling. “How could anyone in this world be so cruel?” She shuddered and strove in vain to wipe the tears away.

Swallowing a lump down her throat, Rainbow looked up and said, “But... but I heard they still want you dead. Why else would they put a bounty out?”

“'Cuz of pride,” Echo muttered. “You think I'm sad over what those bastards did to me?” His body shook as he chuckled bitterly. “When they dumped me into the brine, they dumped about forty pounds of immaculate moonsilver...”

Rainbow Dash blinked. “You stole from your brothers and sisters?”

Echo tilted his head back just enough for one slitted eye to peer at her, like a crescent moon. “And I would do it again in a heartbeat. I never asked to be what I am. Then again, I didn't ask for a lot of things.” He drew himself under the blanket once again, shuddering. “All I want is just for everypony... everypony in this dayum world to leave me the hell alone.” He sighed, his body deflating against the couch. “But... but beggars can't be choosers...”

“Rainbow...” Rarity whimpered. She rushed up to the mare, trying to grasp her shoulders—but only phasing through. “Tell him about Equestria! About Luna!”

“Rarity...” Twilight sighed, ears folded back melancholically.

“Tell him that there's a joyful place! A harmonic place!” Rarity wept, shaking her head. “That not every country in this accursed world has to be so heartless and dreadful!”

“And to what end, Rares?” Rainbow whispered. “You know as well as I can that I can't stop going East. It's not like I can bring him back home or nothing.”

“Bring who back home?” the sarosian muttered, leafy ears twitching.

Rainbow grimaced. “Uhhhh—” But just as she turned to face him again...

The metal door to the suite creaked open.

Echo glanced over. “...Theams.”

“Old Chap.” Doctor Mane wandered in, followed by a griffon. “I do hope that you've eaten something healthy since we talked last.”

“No, but you're welcome to bite me.”

“Ah yes, and so the circle remains unbroken,” Theanim muttered through a sigh.

Wildcard walked across the the room. Rainbow watched, blinking, as the griffon paused, rested a metal talon on her shoulder, smiled, and shuffled off.

“Miss Dash...”

Snapping out of it, Rainbow turned towards the stallion. “Doc! Uh... I-I just wanted to say 'thank you' for what you and the other guys did for—”

“Do save it, Rainbow.”

“Look, I'm just trying to show how thankful I am—”

“And I'll be glad to hear it, but I'm afraid at the moment we haven't much time.” He smiled. “We've arrived.”

“We've... arrived...?” Rainbow blinked.

Theanim turned and pointed out the door. “Come see for yourself.”

PreviousChapters Next